Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Redemption

Sophomore
    It's as simple as this for me: we lost our mojo because we hired a very bad basketball coach. We got our mojo back because we finally dumped him and hired a fantastic basketball coach.

It's incredible how lucky we are to have Sean back as the captain of our ship.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    was on a work trip in Austria when the game was played. Flew back the next day, and tried to avoid any and all media to stay oblivious to the outcome. Got home at like Midnight on Saturday and watched the game on VHS. The freaking tape RAN OUT with like 30 seconds left!!!!!!

My wife, who recorded it and was very EXPLICITY told not to watch it until I got home (so no body language queues from her) was forced to confess that she couldnt resist did in fact watch it and that we WON! I never actually saw the ending.

That was like my happiest 12 hours ever, until of course the 8 vs 5 game we played against Duke & the Refs the next day.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Lionel fucking Chalmers!
    Romain fucking Sato! 11-13 from the stripe.
    Anthony fucking Myles!
    Justin fucking Cage!
    Justin fucking Doellman!

That was THE team! 💪

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    was on a work trip in Austria when the game was played. Flew back the next day, and tried to avoid any and all media to stay oblivious to the outcome. Got home at like Midnight on Saturday and watched the game on VHS. The freaking tape RAN OUT with like 30 seconds left!!!!!!

My wife, who recorded it and was very EXPLICITY told not to watch it until I got home (so no body language queues from her) was forced to confess that she couldnt resist did in fact watch it and that we WON! I never actually saw the ending.

That was like my happiest 12 hours ever, until of course the 8 vs 5 game we played against Duke & the Refs the next day.
    Awesome story!

I was a senior in high school and almost got fired from my new job at Hollywood Video before I even started. Was supposed to start working there that weekend and my family decided to make the trip to ATL for the games. I think my mother may have even convinced my new boss to let me start the next weekend, lmao. I wouldn't have missed X in the Sweet 16 (for the 2nd time but 1st of my fandom) for a job at hollywood video!

I do remember working the next weekend and the night of the final 4 though and hating I wasn't getting to watch basketball.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Amazing number of Xavier fans at the 2 games in Atlanta in '04.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Wasn't there for the '04 Elite Eight, but I did get to see Xavier beat Chuggy Bear and West Virginia for the 2008 Elite Eight run.

Back on track to hit the last 2%, what Miller has done is his standard and what we expected of course, but more importantly he brought back the good vibes of the program. It was miserable turning on games for the last 4 years, from going for all the hope in the world when Steele was first announced to just pure anhedonic thoughts watching us do the same infuriating mistake over and over and blowing games down the stretch.. I would have never driven 14 hours in a day to watch a Steele coached team, but I'd run through a fucking wall for Sean Miller. The best part is, we haven't even seen Coach Miller spread his wings and get a roster fully of his guys, the program is back to where it should be, working towards obtaining that Final Four, and it's nice to have the captain of the ship be an absolute badass.

Same. This is the fifth roadie I'll be taking to watch the guys this year (UC, DePaul, Butler and Pitt/Greensboro). There really is an intangible "it" associated with the program that we really haven't seen since the 2003-04 "Run".

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Amazing number of Xavier fans at the 2 games in Atlanta in '04.
    Yep, I was there and in Orlando as well lwhen they smothered a huge Miss.St? team with drive after drive that reminds me a lot of Texas.
    2023 Sweet 16

People also forget they lost to that same Mississippi State team earlier in the year down in Starkville. MSU hadn't lost a road game all year (and only 1 neutral-court game), but the Bulldog fans were understandably upset when they saw their draw.