Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

NCAA Tournament Game Thread: Xavier v Pittburgh (3/19/2023)

VS.

GREENSBORO, N.C. --- The No. 3 Seed Xavier University Musketeers, 26-9, take on the No. 11 Seed University of Pittsburgh Panthers, 24-11, in NCAA Tournament Second Round action on Sunday, March 19 at 12:10 p.m. at the Greensboro Coliseum.
    Xavier is battling to reach at least the NCAA Sweet 16 for the ninth time in school history, including the seventh time since 2008.

THE MATCHUP

NO. 3 SEED XAVIER UNIVERSITY MUSKETEERS (26-9)
    NO. 11 SEED UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH PANTHERS (24-11)
    NCAA TOURNAMENT SECOND ROUND
    SUNDAY, MARCH 19, 2023 AT 12:10 P.M. AT GREENSBORO COLISEUM

TV, RADIO & LIVE STATS

Television: CBS, including Local 12 in Cincinnati, with play by-play from Ian Eagle and analysis from Jim Spanarkel. Evan Washburn is the sideline reporter.
    National Radio: Westwood One with Bill Rosinski and Austin Croshere.
    Xavier Radio: 700 WLW with play-by-play from Xavier Hall of Famer Joe Sunderman ('79) and analysis from XU all-time leading scorer and Hall of Famer Byron Larkin ('88). Broadcast is also available on Sirius XM and the SXM App.

Live Stats: Media stats at Statbroadcast.com and fan stats at GoXavier.com.
    Last edited by paulxu; 03-18-2023 at 05:54 AM.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member
    X-5 let’s go!

Everyone that is able should attend this game in person...plenty of tickets on the Greensboro Coliseum website....

Support this team!

https://www.eventticketscenter.com/n...2023/5097462/t
    six foot four & a soph-O-more...

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    12:10 Sunday on CBS. The eyes of the nation will be on Xavier/Pitt.

One of my sister's is an attending physician as well, her undergraduate? Pitt, where she works now?? UPMC, so this one is a little extra fun for me. Even manifested it with Pitt ML and put it in my bracket, so I hope for god's sake we look much much better than we did today. Survive and advance indeed.

Updated first post.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Need to play for 40 mins. instead of 10.
    2023 Sweet 16

Please tell me Pittsburgh is not on some magical VCU/UCLA run as an 11 seed and Xavier will take advantage of a double digit seed in the second round.

Xavier did everything in its power to lose to Kennesaw State yet somehow still won. Maybe, for starters, do not do that.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Supporting Member
    Given their performance the last two games, it is tempting to believe we are due to revert to a more Creightonesque performance. But, for that to happen, Nunge must establish himself down low-----its O.K. for him to pop out to the top of the key and open up the middle-----but he must be able to set up close to the basket. He didn't seem to be able to do that against KSU, even though they had nobody to match his height. Pitt will not have that disadvantage.

Secondly, Colby must wake up offensively. He has been bipolar at times this year and I don't get it. I've heard smart knowledgeable commentators like Donny Marshall (and posters on this board) sing his praises as a lockdown future NBA player. But, almost as soon as we hear a few such comments, Colby seems to disappear offensively or go cold. To me, tomorrow's game rides on Nunge and Jones.

Defense is not a strength of either team, and both teams are due for good shooting, so expect an offensive battle. You can throw the metrics out the window at this point. What matters most is which team wants it more. We need our guards to step it up from this point on. A performance like yesterday will not work against the teams we will face for the rest of the tournament.