Some Business Figures While We're Celebrating Success Again

Borrowed from HLOH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHS1yxn-Kh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK7MX-eX5FI

Some specifics:

1. Xavier overall AD Revenue = $38.6mm

2. Xavier AD Expenses = $16.07mm

3. The Big East Conference ranks FIRST in terms of average expense budget per school for MBB.

4. Xavier's MBB budget is larger than all ACC schools save for Duke and UL.

5. Xavier's MBB budget is larger than all B1G schools save for Sparty and Maryland.

6. Xavier's MBB budget is larger than all Big XII schools save for .... nobody (Kansas has the largest budget at $15.5mm).

7. UC, Miami (OH), and VD total AD Revenue equal $60.5, $37.9, and $34 million, respectively (includes football)).

8. VD likes to talk a big game, but the data are as clear as can be: VD's MBB budget = $8.7mm (good for 8th place in the BE).

A few unrelated related thoughts / comments:

Georgetown has thrown a brick through the front window of the Big East Fraternity House's Camaraderie Room. Actually, it tossed 2 bricks into it: one was from robbing an in-conference program of its coach, and the other was as a result of escalating coaching salaries for the conference into the stratosphere - it is being reported that Cooley will be making $6mm per year in D.C.

Greg Christopher and Company have built and are continuing to improve a real machine on Victory Parkway. I'm sorry about the disruption that some of you have experienced or may experience as a result of the Cintas Center remodel. I hope it still all works out for you in the end. Overall, when it is all settled and finished, I trust the place and the experience will prove to be worth the process. Either way, Xavier athletics continues to move in the right direction in the face of increasing pressures. Imagine a new media agreement that could possibly double the existing $4mm+ gross take coupled with renewed success under Sean Miller.

The data in those two Youtube presentations are truly striking. One takeaway I have from them is the reasonable perception that football at a high level is very, very expensive. A lot of an AD's funding at the P5 level HAS to go towards supporting football in order to keep that flagship sport relevant for those schools. Go back up and look at our expense budget for basketball at $16.07mm. Indiana's budget = $15.87mm. The pessimist will argue that ACCOUNTING TREATMENTS DIFFER! I'm sorry, but the figures are just too close to one another to not be a valid comparison. Indiana is one example of a formidable competitor. I'm just attempting to point out that we appear to be capable of holding our own at this point and hopefully moving forward.
    Last edited by xudash; 03-21-2023 at 01:45 PM.
    X A V I E R

Dash, is our total AD Expenses $16.07 million, or just on MBB? I’m confused.
    I really wonder what we’d be willing to pay a good Women’s Coach?

And Edit: Xavier’s revenues are in the bottom half of the Big East? With a building that we totally control and sell out??
    I don’t get it. We’re just ahead of DePaul??
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 03-21-2023 at 02:16 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I think some of the football schools are clearly allocating some portion of their administrative overhead expenses to the football budget that we allocate to basketball (since there's no football), but it's still good to see that Xavier is able to spend in the right stratosphere of schools to allow themselves to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Dash, is our total AD Expenses $16.07 million, or just on MBB? I’m confused.
    I really wonder what we’d be willing to pay a good Women’s Coach?

And Edit: Xavier’s revenues are in the bottom half of the Big East? With a building that we totally control and sell out??
    I don’t get it. We’re just ahead of DePaul??
    MOR, the cover slide is titled “MBB”, so I believe it’s just for the men’s program.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    MOR, the cover slide is titled “MBB”, so I believe it’s just for the men’s program.
    How does Providence generate $11 million more in revenue than Xavier in a building that they have to pay rent on?
    We should expand Cintas??
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    How does Providence generate $11 million more in revenue than Xavier in a building that they have to pay rent on?
    We should expand Cintas??
    Good observation. I went off to Google to look up the Dunk's capacity, but I found this gem first:

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/07/...-21-season/12/

Xavier and the Cintas Center ranked #1 among BE home courts and it makes Top 10 lists nationally. Another key building block for sustaining success.

Providence College - - Amica Mutual Pavilion

- https://friars.com/facilities/amica-...-providence/23

- 14,000 capacity.

- I believe it has some amount of private suites in it, but I'm not going to try to chase that down.

- We all know that it provides a great home court experience for them, especially when it begins to leak.
    X A V I E R

ACCOUNTING TREATMENTS DIFFER!

Thats not just something to say. Its a fact. 2 things come to mind that I would like to understand more about.

1. How is the "cost" of the game facility and practice facilities charged back to the team budget? The operating model can be very different on a school-by-school analysis. Some schools have a single on campus facility used excusively by the BBall program(s). Other schools have more multi-purpose shared facilities for many sports, and then off-campus third party facilities for games. So not, only are there different operating models, I would guess there are different accounting approaches for some teams that have the SAME model. My guess is this is a massive variance.

2. How are scholarship costs charged back? I really have no idea. Is it the same way for every school? TUITION isnt the same, so right off the bat some schools would "spend" alot more than others in this category.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Yeah, while I think we can see from the results of Xavier's basketball program they are dong enough to compete near the top of the basketball food chain, you aren't ever going to convince me by showing me the "accounting" that schools put out there with regards to their athletic departments.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17