Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    I’m a casual college football fan. I know which teams are good each year and I’ve heard of a few players. But I probably watch abou half a game a week, total.

And the reality is, if I’m flipping through the channels, I wouldnt stop and check in with a game featuring OU or Texas. And wouldn’t give a second thought to any other B12 teams. That’s the reality, and that’s why those losses will hurt so bad.

And, it doesn’t matter if the local fans are rabin and the stadiums are full. The ONLY thing that matters is if there is enough national interest to have people tune in on the TV. That’s the main source of money. That’s WHY you join a conference.

The future version of the B12 can fake it for awhile. Until a team goes 10-1 and the. Loses by 50 to and SEC team in a BCS game. Going q
    10-1 or 11-0 in the B12 just won’t mean much.

If they expand by grabbing a couple mediocre PAC 12 or similar teams it won’t matter one bit. It used to be the “Big 6”. Then the BE exploded and continued consolidation turned that into the Big 5. Going forward it’s the Big 2, and then 3 wanna-be conferences.

Honestly, if you made an all star conference out of the PAC 12, ACC, and B12 you’d maybe pull together a legit contender….

UW, Oregon, Utah, Clemson, Miami, FSU, KSU…..others?

There are very few “national” games broadcast every Saturday. Generally one at night on NBC and/or FOX, and maybe one during the afternoon. The rest of the games are regionally broadcast. You’ll find them on ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, ESPN ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, Bally Sports, FS1, FS2, the BIG10 network, and lord knows who else. The point being that there is absolutely no time during the season when being a game that is of national interest is a prerequisite for a game to be broadcast. There are generally only 1 or 2 games a week that will have a total national interest. Yet dozens of games are broadcast, several are event broadcast during the week, at night. In addition, even more games are shown during the week days, as a replay. Heck, they are even showing games on ESPNU right now that were played LAST year, and are even showing SPRING games. Being a “national” power is nice, but it’s not a prerequisite for generating interest and ratings. There are far more diehard college FOOTBALL fans than there are college BB fans. Virtually every D1 conference has some kind of TV package, even if it’s only a regional package. And in addition to regular TV broadcasting, there is STREAMING by the various networks too. The BIG12 is going to be just fine, and college football is going to be just fine. Interest has never been higher and the networks are going to continue to compete for college football content to broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I’m a casual college football fan. I know which teams are good each year and I’ve heard of a few players. But I probably watch abou half a game a week, total.

And the reality is, if I’m flipping through the channels, I wouldnt stop and check in with a game featuring OU or Texas. And wouldn’t give a second thought to any other B12 teams. That’s the reality, and that’s why those losses will hurt so bad.
    As a “casual” college FB fan, you are the exception and not the rule. There are millions and millions and millions of diehard college football fans. By a diehard fan, I mean the kind of fan that roots for his own team (maybe is a season ticket holder) and still enjoys watching other teams play. And not just during the season, but year round.

If a B12 team goes undefeated and loses big to an SEC or B1G, its name will still have been on all the broadcasts and sports news increasingly toward the end of the season, even if briefly to begin with and eventually a lot. No one will be surprised when they get hammered but they will remember the little engine that couldn't. People like to root for the underdog, especially against the hated Alabamas and Ohio States of the world. They will get to say that they played in the show. And who knows...
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    As a “casual” college FB fan, you are the exception and not the rule. There are millions and millions and millions of diehard college football fans. By a diehard fan, I mean the kind of fan that roots for his own team (maybe is a season ticket holder) and still enjoys watching other teams play. And not just during the season, but year round.
    Living in Sarasota, FL or Atlanta, GA I can take you to bars where hundreds of fans show up to watch OSU football every weekend. And this is in the south, where you’d think most fans already have “their team”. I’ve seen the same thing in Nashville with huge crowds following Michigan State, of all teams. College football crowds are huge, and they are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Living in Sarasota, FL or Atlanta, GA I can take you to bars where hundreds of fans show up to watch OSU football every weekend. And this is in the south, where you’d think most fans already have “their team”. I’ve seen the same thing in Nashville with huge crowds following Michigan State, of all teams. College football crowds are huge, and they are everywhere.
    And the same thing is happening in cites throughout B12 country and on the west coast.

FOOTBALL is the most popular sport in America, by far. And it’s pretty much an even split between college and pro, with HS right behind.

The loss of Oklahoma and Texas will have some effect on what kind of money the B12 can get for its broadcast rights, but it’s certainly not a complete catastrophe like some are making it out to be. There are still going to be millions of eyes that will be tuning in to watch B12 teams compete on the gridiron come the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    No one retires to the North.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

My wife is PSU grad. The local Alumni chapter has 600 members with about 100 active and 50 really active. There is a football watch party every week at Oakley Pub and Grill where normally 30-40 come to watch.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    No one retires to the North.
    No. They retire to states that are governed by common sense, have lower taxes and promote freedom.
    States like South Carolina. Hmmmm.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    My wife is PSU grad. The local Alumni chapter has 600 members with about 100 active and 50 really active. There is a football watch party every week at Oakley Pub and Grill where normally 30-40 come to watch.
    During football season I assume.