Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    That will be awesome for their fans.

Supporting Member
    Lots of assumptions being made here. We have no idea what UConn thinks about any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    Dash - appreciate your updates and insights on the BE very much.

Just saw this from Aaron Torres, Fox Sports Radio, and pretty sure he's a Uconn grad. I thought this was an interesting point. Responding to this tweet:

"Big 12 will distribute $440 million in revenue. That averages out to $44 million per school. I believe that's the all in number. (tournament rev, bowls, cfp) When the new contract kicks in, B12 ADs believe that all-in number will approach $50 million."

Torres said this:

"For anyone who doesn't understand why UConn should/will leave the Big East for the Big 12 this is it.

The move isn't to "elevate football." It's so you can pay Dan Hurley his value, Geno Auriemma's replacement, run a Top 25 baseball program, Top 15 hockey program, on and on"

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Torres/sta...68761570545669

I'll state this again - whether or not UConn leaves, but especially if they do, I think it behooves the BE to go after Gonzaga.
    Thanks, Joe.

I think we can all agree that there is no doubt that UCONN has the potential to make more money in the Big 12.

It just appears as though they are going to have to walk through a minefield in order for it to work out for them:

1. $30mm exit fee to the Big East.

2. $??mm entry fee to the Big 12.

3. Loss of their share of BE NCAAT UNITS income.

4. A ramp up in expenditures to “P5” operating standards.

5. Initial partial distributions upon entering Big 12; no equal share out of the gate

6. Ongoing heavy operating expenses.

And all of that along with moving into a conference which certainly will still not be regarded as being a stable long-term solution for any of its schools.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Lots of assumptions being made here. We have no idea what UConn thinks about any of this.
    Of course. I still hope they stay. But I'll have a hearty laugh at their expense in a few years if they DO leave.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I think this is hilarious reasoning. UConn outside the Big East was an abject disaster. Back in the Big East and winning a national title almost right away. Watching them leave the Big East and fall right back on their faces is going to be so funny to watch.
    Yeah, it is a completely simplistic view of the situation. The AAC was obviously a disaster for UConn and while the Big 12 has much better teams, the quality of the teams in the conference was not the major (or at least sole) reason for UConn's issues outside of the Big East.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    On busting brackets there was an article posted on if UConn leaves, the six programs that the big East should go after:

At the risk of going thru the why dayton or not pissing natch, here are the six that were listed:

1. Memphis
    2. Dayton
    3. Slu
    4. Fau
    5. Vcu
    6. Wichita

My thought is out of this list Memphis and slu would be the only options worth even discussing. I’ve always thought slu would be a good fit (much better than butler) and Memphis has the basketball tradition.

If UConn leaves, I wouldn't replace them with any of those. Ten is fine again, thanks. We can wait until something better comes along (or doesn't...that's fine too).

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    On busting brackets there was an article posted on if UConn leaves, the six programs that the big East should go after:

At the risk of going thru the why dayton or not pissing natch, here are the six that were listed:

1. Memphis
    2. Dayton
    3. Slu
    4. Fau
    5. Vcu
    6. Wichita

My thought is out of this list Memphis and slu would be the only options worth even discussing. I’ve always thought slu would be a good fit (much better than butler) and Memphis has the basketball tradition.
    I would consider SLU, most of the rest add nothing except for Memphis, but almost all of Memphis basketball history is littered with slimy characters and coaches.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    As a SLU alum and someone who has seen what they can be with a good coach (Majerus) I would love for SLU to get into the BE. They have the facilities and the fan base, just not always great coaching or results. Good market with good local talent.

However, I can see how someone with no connection would want nothing to do with them in the Big East. They don't move the needle.

Hope UConn stay, if they don't oh well. Still think it would be great to add Gonzaga. If they are interested (maybe they aren't) let them figure out the logistics. Don't see why anyone would see that as a problem for the other BE teams.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

If UConn left, and wasn't replaced, our double round robin would not quite work out. Don't think the conference would want to drop back to 18 games.

Interesting side note, VCU's new coach has a clause in his contract that would guarantee additional compensation if the school moved to another conference where the per school payout was larger than the current A10. Don't know enough about contracts to know if that's unusual, but can't imagine where they'd go without football except to the BE.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.