Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I thought the interview was just like most sports media that I've seen. it was completely and totally pointless.

Everyone seems to think their team/school is sacred and that their coach will never want to leave. The reality is that NO place is sacred, and EVERY coach will leave if they feel they can get something they'll like more. Figuring that out has saved me from a lot of bitterness and aggravation. In most cases I'm really not all that interested in listening to coaches explain why they left. They wanted to, so they did. That's really all it comes down to. And I don't even really think people should begrudge them for it. I kind of wish the overall attitude was "If you want to go, then go. We'll get someone else. There are plenty out there."
    weird take

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    For some reason, every time I hear Kim English mentioned I think of one-time Mizzou coach Kim Anderson. Let's hope for his sake that English has a better trajectory at Providence.

I thought the interview was just like most sports media that I've seen. it was completely and totally pointless.

Everyone seems to think their team/school is sacred and that their coach will never want to leave. The reality is that NO place is sacred, and EVERY coach will leave if they feel they can get something they'll like more. Figuring that out has saved me from a lot of bitterness and aggravation. In most cases I'm really not all that interested in listening to coaches explain why they left. They wanted to, so they did. That's really all it comes down to. And I don't even really think people should begrudge them for it. I kind of wish the overall attitude was "If you want to go, then go. We'll get someone else. There are plenty out there."
    I agree. Changing jobs on a regular basis is the norm anymore, not the exception. Sometimes a coach, or an employee, just wants a change of scenery. Other times they are looking for a new, or greater, challenge. But whatever the reason, I’m not losing sleep over it.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    For some reason, every time I hear Kim English mentioned I think of one-time Mizzou coach Kim Anderson. Let's hope for his sake that English has a better trajectory at Providence.
    I thought the same thing, lol. When I first heard his name I was thinking why are they hiring the former Mizzou coach? I do remember Kim English playing at Mizzou though. He was legit. I believe he was on the 2 seed Mizzou though that lost to a 15 seed (blanking on which team beat them though).
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    weird take
    Yes, I must admit that deciding to not be bothered by the things I can't control, and realizing that coaches will almost always do what is in their own personal selfish interests is a bit of a weird take.
    Last edited by xubrew; 03-24-2023 at 08:02 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    weird take
    Why? Regular people change jobs all the time, coaches can too.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I thought the same thing, lol. When I first heard his name I was thinking why are they hiring the former Mizzou coach? I do remember Kim English playing at Mizzou though. He was legit. I believe he was on the 2 seed Mizzou though that lost to a 15 seed (blanking on which team beat them though).
    Dittos

Yes, I must admit that deciding to not be bothered by the things I can't control, and realizing that coaches will almost always do what is in their own personal selfish interests is a bit of a weird take.
    I view sports as an outlet. It’s absolutely meaningless in the world. Its ONLY purpose is to allow people (men, mostly) to have an outlet of emotions. We can embrace a team and love them and then feel total jubilation when the win or be crushed when they lose.

If not for sports, do those emotions not exist, or do we bottle them up. Or maybe worse, do we let those emotions out during other real world interactions that matter.

What I’m hearing you say is that you just experience the sports, but skip the emotional attachment. So, yeah, weird take.

Emotional attachment....TO COACHES???

I have no emotional attachment whatsoever to specific coaches. None. That's not to say I don't like some of them, but I sure as hell ain't sleeping with any or married to any. Nor am I under any illusions that they have any real emotional attachment to the school or fans. They absolutely do not. If on Sunday night Sean Miller is named the new head coach of Texas, I wouldn't even blink. I don't think that will happen, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it idd. I also don't think it would matter all that much. Now, if that happens and Xavier isn't prepared for it, THAT would be an issue! Being emotionally attached to coaches and not realizing that they are not emotionally attached to you or your school is a problem. Not being prepared each and every day as to what to do when they do leave is also a problem.

And dude, really....You think it's weird for me to NOT be emotionally attached to a coach I don't even know?? Okay Gonzo...
    Last edited by xubrew; 03-24-2023 at 09:55 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I don't trust any coach in high level D1 sports

They can say whatever and they can tell you how much they love where they are......99% of them will leave for a better situation.

Enjoy what you have while you have it. Expect that person will leave at some point.