Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I agree distance is an issue but for Gonzaga, not the BE.
    It’s certainly an issue for both or Gonzaga would have been invited over Butler and Creighton.

Travel for the BB/football teams, is probably not too much of a concern. It’s the travel for the other sports, and primarily the costs involved, that would be of greater concern. There’s no way that a basketball only team is going to get a full share of the TV revenue programs. It’s speculated that BB is only worth about 20% of the total revenue streams. The money a school would receive would have to make it much more profitable than their current programs before they would even consider joining the B12, because the costs involved with travel for the other sports would go up considerably. Nor is it likely that the current leagues are going to let the basketball programs leave, and let the other sports stay. This is business and the men in charge understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Travel for the BB/football teams, is probably not too much of a concern. It’s the travel for the other sports, and primarily the costs involved, that would be of greater concern. There’s no way that a basketball only team is going to get a full share of the TV revenue programs. It’s speculated that BB is only worth about 20% of the total revenue streams. The money a school would receive would have to make it much more profitable than their current programs before they would even consider joining the B12, because the costs involved with travel for the other sports would go up considerably. Nor is it likely that the current leagues are going to let the basketball programs leave, and let the other sports stay. This is business and the men in charge understand that.
    I think there are some NCAA rules about having your sports in just one conference, when possible. I think there are limits that would prohibit Gonzaga basketball only joining the BE.

I've been discussing this since the creation of the new BE. Gonzaga is by far the hottest property out there from a marketing perspective. I dont think there is a scenario where we "just add Gonzaga" and the travel issues are "their problem." Obviously, the BE would have added the Zags long ago if this were the case.

I believe the Big East will need to expand beyond Gonzaga and shift the footprint further West. We sit at 11 currently. I think you have to get to 15 (3 divisions of 5 each....yeah, I know that sucks), or 16 (2 divisions of 8) and organize around geographical divisions and unbalanced scheduling to reduce the cross-country travel. with the Zags as the primary target, I think adding St. Mary's makes very much sense, and probably SLU gets an invite as it does move the footprint West, and they have a good market and new-ish facilities.

So thats 14. Gotta find 2 more teams West of the mississippi that fit the BE profile. Thats where it gets difficult.

Maybe Seattle U, which is an urban campus, but their program would need a huge lift (although BE money could certainly help there). Maybe Detroit Mercy? Its just such a reach to fill out the bottom end of the expansion package.

I'd love to see teh Zags join, but the reality is that the ACTUAL issues that exist just cannot be ignored and wont just go away. They are real, and their existence is the exact reason why the Zags arent in the BE already.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I agree distance is an issue but for Gonzaga, not the BE.
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but if Providence has to get Women's Soccer to Gonzaga for a game, how is that not an issue for them? 3 time zones, 2,700 miles, connecting commercial flights, to play in front of 300 people (read: zero revenue gain)...how is this "just" a Gonzaga problem?

Or are you advocating that only MBB and WBB would join the Big East, which I don't think the BE would have an interest in, but who knows I guess given the current landscape.

I tend to think St. Louis and Dayton are far more likely additions, as much as that will make some hard-core Xavier folks start to twitch, if (and I think it is a BIG if) the Big East feels they need to expand.

On of the great things about the Big East is that we play everyone twice. The league can accommodate 1 more team, be it Gonzaga or someone else. I'd hate to see teams like SLU and Dayton considered because not only does it dilute the conference with lesser teams, it also means you don't play everyone twice.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven Eighths View Post
    It’s certainly an issue for both or Gonzaga would have been invited over Butler and Creighton.
    You keep taking the position that if Gonzaga was invited they'd automatically accept. I don't see that to be the case. I think they have much more interest in waiting and seeing how the Pac 12/Big 12 situation plays out than the Big East does.

You also have no idea if the Big East asked Gonzaga back when they broke off. They might have.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but if Providence has to get Women's Soccer to Gonzaga for a game, how is that not an issue for them? 3 time zones, 2,700 miles, connecting commercial flights, to play in front of 300 people (read: zero revenue gain)...how is this "just" a Gonzaga problem?

Or are you advocating that only MBB and WBB would join the Big East, which I don't think the BE would have an interest in, but who knows I guess given the current landscape.

I tend to think St. Louis and Dayton are far more likely additions, as much as that will make some hard-core Xavier folks start to twitch, if (and I think it is a BIG if) the Big East feels they need to expand.
    They only have to do that once per year. No big deal. Those sorts of once a year trips aren't that unusual in the non-conference anyway (even for the non-revenues). Gonzaga is the one that has to do it multiple times a year for every team.

Junior
    I could see a scenario where Zags non rev sports fly to Omaha, play Cr, SLU, Butler, X then fly back west from Cincy. Very doable bus trips.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post

It is a once a year (or even every other year depending on scheduling) trip for each school. Gonzaga would have to travel that far every road trip. Maybe I am naïve in that even once a year or every other year that is too burdensome of a trip for womens soccer to make. It is far more burdensome for Gonzaga. I would be shocked in Gonzaga is ok with that burden, wants in, and the BE says no because they are worried about Providence womens soccers long trip once a year.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17