Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Game Thread: Xavier vs St John's University (2/4/2023)

VS.

CINCINNATI --- The No.16 Xavier University Musketeers, 18-5 overall and tied with Marquette for first place in the BIG EAST Conference at 10-2, host the St. John's University Red Storm on Saturday at 5 p.m. at Cintas Center.

Xavier is coming off an 85-83 overtime win over No. 17 Providence on Wednesday. It marked XU's first game without its leading rebounder and second-leading scorer, senior Zach Freemantle, who has a left foot injury that is expected to sideline him for four weeks.

Xavier leads the nation in assists per game at 20.8 apg. and is second in the BIG EAST and sixth in the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio at 1.62. XU had a season-low five turnovers on Wednesday.

THE MATCHUP

NO. 16/15 XAVIER UNIVERSITY MUSKETEERS (18-5, 10-2 BIG EAST)
    ST. JOHN'S UNIVERSITY RED STORM (14-9, 4-8 BIG EAST)
    SATURDAY, FEB. 4, 2023 AT 5:00 P.M. ET
    AT CINTAS CENTER IN CINCINNATI, OHIO

TV, RADIO AND LIVE STATS

Television: FOX National, including FOX 19 in Cincinnati, with play by-play from Tim Brando and analysis from Nick Bahe.
    Xavier Radio: 700 WLW with play-by-play from Xavier Hall of Famer Joe Sunderman ('79) and analysis from XU all-time leading scorer and Hall of Famer Byron Larkin ('88). XU broadcast also available on Sirius XM channel 134 or 201 and 964 on the SXM App.
    Live Stats: Media stats at Statbroadcast.com and fan stats at GoXavier.com.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

After watching way too much college ball, Xavier teams of the past included, where hero ball/NBA tryout was the norm...this warms the cockles of my heart.

Xavier leads the nation in assists per game at 20.8 apg.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

BJ, if you’re reading this, the pre-game target for tomorrow is Dana’s at 3PM. What’s the inner scoop on parking at the cathedral of Jesuit College Watering Holes?
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    BJ, if you’re reading this, the pre-game target for tomorrow is Dana’s at 3PM. What’s the inner scoop on parking at the cathedral of Jesuit College Watering Holes?
    Available parking lot about a block down Dana Ave toward I-71 near the Flower Shop.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I know the Redmen are on the skids, but cannot overlook this game like DePaul. Xavier is short-handed and coming off an exhausting overtime win. St. John's plays super up-tempo, has (mismanaged) talent, and knows they can pull a huge road upset having done it at UConn.

That being said, I hope to spend late afternoon/early evening relaxing, having a few drinks, and watching Xavier cruise to victory. Should score about a billion points, so it should be fun.

Nunge, Jones & Boum all have a shot at BE POW with another big game.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    3pm will be a little ifffy but should be ok. We do have an auxiliary lot at 1930 Dana Ave, 500 feet away next to Jim Bush Carpet
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    3pm will be a little ifffy but should be ok. We do have an auxiliary lot at 1930 Dana Ave, 500 feet away next to Jim Bush Carpet
    Seems redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    I know the Redmen are on the skids, but cannot overlook this game like DePaul. Xavier is short-handed and coming off an exhausting overtime win. St. John's plays super up-tempo, has (mismanaged) talent, and knows they can pull a huge road upset having done it at UConn.

That being said, I hope to spend late afternoon/early evening relaxing, having a few drinks, and watching Xavier cruise to victory. Should score about a billion points, so it should be fun.

Nunge, Jones & Boum all have a shot at BE POW with another big game.
    The lack of any discipline on offense for St. John’s is incredible to behold.
    I know Mike Anderson has never had a losing record as a HC and some NCAA success, but he has little postseason success since he’s gotten older. My opinion from years is that any coach who tries to basically only have his team Press and run, relying on turnovers to score with no half court scheme, is a lazy coach. And I heard it from the horses mouth from Mike Moran, former Xavier football player who came back to Cleveland and became Head Basketball Coach at Villa Angela St Joseph’s HS and then John Carroll up here. Mike told me flat out, “I don’t know crap about basketball schemes so we’re just gonna create havoc.
    That only works to a point. As Sean Miller has proven, you have to evolve as a coach and the game changes. Shaka Smart has changed his scheme from pure havoc to something more disciplined, but Anderson never has.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 02-04-2023 at 07:35 AM.

Playing a smaller line-up of ball-handlers should benefit the team. Less stress on the thin front court. I would expect to see more KyKy and maybe even a bit of Craft.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    The lack of any discipline on offense for St. John’s is incredible to behold.
    I know Mike Anderson has never had a losing record as a HC and some NCAA success, but he has little postseason success since he’s gotten older. My opinion from years is that any coach who tries to basically only have his team Press and run, relying on turnovers to score with no half court scheme, is a lazy coach. And I heard it from the horses mouth from Mike Moran, former Xavier football player who came back to Cleveland and became Head Basketball Coach at Villa Angela St Joseph’s HS and then John Carroll up here. Mike told me flat out, “I don’t know crap about basketball schemes so we’re just gonna create havoc.
    That only works to a point. As Sean Miller has proven, you have to evolve as a coach and the game changes. Shaka Smart has changed his scheme from pure havoc to something more disciplined, but Anderson never has.
    To be fair to Shaka, it was a lot easier to get away with that in a conference like the Atlantic 10. But once the Big 12 saw his teams with a degree of regularity, they figured him out.

Could he be the next Travis Steele in that most of the other coaches have figured out how to defeat them?