Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar

24 second shot clock?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ege-basketball

Interesting article about the 24 second shot clock potentially coming to the college game and how that may affect the college game.

I was all for the move from 35 to 30, and I think its helped the game. Here is one stat from the article that shows such.

"From 2010-11 through 2014-15, there were 258 such games in the sports-reference.com database. In the seven full seasons since played with the 30-second clock, there are just 99 such games, a per-season decrease of 73%. In this sense, at least, it can be said of shot clocks that they work."

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other at this time on the move from 30 to 24. I think I would be fine either way. It would be a big change that I think would bring positives and negatives.

If I were a Big 10 basketball fan I'd be clamoring for it. The way X plays now under Miller I don't think it would have much of an impact on X either way.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

All-Conference
    30 is fine - not too short, not too long.

The NBA is a different game - 24 makes more sense there. Way more isolation sets and typically run quick hitter plays vs. having a particular type of offense. The players are way more skillful as well meaning they have MANY guys who can get their own shot as the clock winds down - and some that are ELITE at it.
    Last edited by drudy23; 02-01-2023 at 10:53 AM.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    30 is fine - not too short, not too long.

The NBA is a different game - 24 makes more sense there. Way more isolation sets and typically run quick hitter plays vs. having a particular type of offense. The players are way more skillful as well meaning they have MANY guys who can get their own shot as the clock winds down - and some that are ELITE at it.
    Yeah, the articles is pretty good and mentions those arguments. But they also mention how teenagers in Europe are all playing with a 24 second clock and thriving. They also mention the U19 US team that beat France (and Webanyama sp?) that had Jaden Ivey and Kalkbrenner on it and they won gold playing with the 24 second clock. I guess FIBA adopted the 24 second clock in 2010,

Jamie Dixon who is quoted several times in the article seems to think the 24 second clock coming to college basketball is not only inevitable but good for the college game.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

All-Conference
    The bigger need is some type of shot clock in the high school game - it's brutal.

Maybe the should try it for the last few minutes of the game or even each half. I HATE the dribble until there are 6 - 8 seconds and run some play that rarely works. Just play the freaking game!!! I know that won't necessarily eliminate that particular aspect but it will make it less prolonged and frustrating for me. After all, it's all about me.

Thanks for your support.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Sophomore
    Yup, this is the very reason I struggle to enjoy watching high school basketball. It’s booooooooring.