Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    St. John’s? They are very mediocre with a bad coach. Xavier will roll them. I think Xavier without Free is a worse matchup for them.
    Sorry, I have to comment on this.

Our Musketeers are sitting at the TOP of the conference at 10-2, but the reality is that we've "rolled" no one except GU 1/21. In fact, very large leads have been surrendered in nearly every game.

Also, there are no "bad" coaches that have zero losing seasons in 22 D1 campaigns (11 with 20+ wins). That's actually the opposite of "bad" and his guys play extremely hard for him.

And, I have to be one of the few here that watches (and records) a ridiculous amount of BE hoops. Mediocre record for SJU? Yes. However, they have a very talented/dangerous group and could easily get a dub Saturday (they absolutely smoked UConn 1/15 in Storrs). Regardless of outcome, they cover on Saturday. By no means a gimme.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Is anyone worried that Boum's shot is (hopefully temporarily) broken? He did a lot of great things to help us win tonight, but his shot is horribly off. Not great with Free down. We're going to need him to get hot to win some of these games down the stretch.

On the depth front, Xavier got 9 minutes from guys outside the "top 6" in the rotation. Providence got 10 such minutes.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Is anyone worried that Boum's shot is (hopefully temporarily) broken? He did a lot of great things to help us win tonight, but his shot is horribly off. Not great with Free down. We're going to need him to get hot to win some of these games down the stretch.
    Not necessarily concerned, especially if he continues to take over when needed. He is a natural scorer…it will come back to form

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Dog days of January. Of course he's going to have some off games. Dude is playing 38 minutes a game.

March will boost him. The next month is going to be a grind - prepare for it.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Hunter played 36 mins, played great defense, and had 1 foul.

That is the type of game we needed. If he can give us 30+ mins and not get into foul trouble while playing good defense, that will be huge for this team with Freemantle out.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Sorry, I have to comment on this.

Our Musketeers are sitting at the TOP of the conference at 10-2, but the reality is that we've "rolled" no one except GU 1/21. In fact, very large leads have been surrendered in nearly every game.

Also, there are no "bad" coaches that have zero losing seasons in 22 D1 campaigns (11 with 20+ wins). That's actually the opposite of "bad" and his guys play extremely hard for him.

And, I have to be one of the few here that watches (and records) a ridiculous amount of BE hoops. Mediocre record for SJU? Yes. However, they have a very talented/dangerous group and could easily get a dub Saturday (they absolutely smoked UConn 1/15 in Storrs). Regardless of outcome, they cover on Saturday. By no means a gimme.
    This is true for ANY Big East road game, and most Big East home games. It's a great conference, this is how it should be.

Sophomore
    This is a non sequitur, but tonight I got a very clear sense of why Colby Jones has become a serious NBA prospect. Not that I didn’t see it before, it just seemed like he took it to another level tonight. He attacked the basket like he always does, but he seemed more aggressive and fluid in doing so than he ever has. He was just so, so smooth, throwing off defenders left and right, making shot after shot that never hit the rim.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    This is a non sequitur, but tonight I got a very clear sense of why Colby Jones has become a serious NBA prospect. Not that I didn’t see it before, it just seemed like he took it to another level tonight. He attacked the basket like he always does, but he seemed more aggressive and fluid in doing so than he ever has. He was just so, so smooth, throwing off defenders left and right, making shot after shot that never hit the rim.
    I kind of came away with the opposite impression. Not that Colby isn't a very good player----he is. And, he played a pretty good game tonight. But I keep seeing posts in these threads identifying him as a top NBA prospect and, to me, he seems like a decent player whose had some good games for us. But he's not great. I think of a potential NBA player as someone who plays head and shoulders above the others on the court. Colby doesn't. He has offensive and defensive lapses just about every game. He is unreliable at the charity stripe. His ill-timed, late game three-point attempt tonight missed (or almost missed everything) and could have resulted in disaster. After the game, I was talking to another season ticket holder who identified the same things I did. It doesn't seem, to me, that Colby is that better a player this year than he was last year. Perhaps, after last season, my expectations just got too high.

I'm very glad he's on our side. But I keep waiting for him to play an outstanding game at both ends; to just take control. He never does.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    I kind of came away with the opposite impression. Not that Colby isn't a very good player----he is. And, he played a pretty good game tonight. But I keep seeing posts in these threads identifying him as a top NBA prospect and, to me, he seems like a decent player whose had some good games for us. But he's not great. I think of a potential NBA player as someone who plays head and shoulders above the others on the court. Colby doesn't. He has offensive and defensive lapses just about every game. He is unreliable at the charity stripe. His ill-timed, late game three-point attempt tonight missed (or almost missed everything) and could have resulted in disaster. After the game, I was talking to another season ticket holder who identified the same things I did. It doesn't seem, to me, that Colby is that better a player this year than he was last year. Perhaps, after last season, my expectations just got too high.

I'm very glad he's on our side. But I keep waiting for him to play an outstanding game at both ends; to just take control. He never does.
    I just rewatched a condensed version of the game, and still came away with the same impression. He finished with 20 points, had the highest FG% on the team (56%), with 3 boards, 2 steals, and 2 assists, against 1 turnover, and 1 foul. That’s a damn good night by any measure, even if it was overshadowed by Nunge’s monster game. My impression is not that Colby *can’t* take over a game, but rather that he can, but has yet to fully embrace his inner Mamba. In other words, yes, there are stretches when he should be doing more, but isn’t, and then sometimes gets in his own head and tries forcing things. At the same time, there are more than occasional flashes of real, real brilliance. Tonight there seemed to be a lot more than usual, one ill advised 3-point shot notwithstanding.
    Last edited by Roach; 02-02-2023 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Correcting grammar.