Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Freemantle Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by xu9697 View Post
    It seems like teams that go far in March face some sort of adversity. Well, here we are. I have said all year to my wife- Nunge/Boum/Jones have to stay healthy for this team to go far. Freemantle was a step below, and Kunkel another couple steps below. We need to find our "Brock Purdy" players now.

Obviously the tourney is the goal, but boy would it be nice to hang a Big East regular season championship banner. This makes that a heck of a lot tougher. I know Miller cannot work miracles, but really hoping his coaching acumen will allow us to continue on a very positive path. We do have a full week of practice NEXT week (no games during the week), so if we can survive this week and get the tough Ws with our main 6 and a little help, perhaps next week will be a great time to figure out who else can really jump in to help carry the load.
    In what way was Freemantle a step below those fellas? I love this entire team, but he has been even better than those three guys lately. Heck, he was the top scorer last game and dropped 30 in the Georgetown game. He has been and absolute stud and crucial to the success of this team this season. This is a capable group of players lead by a great coach. They may be able to find a way to get things done without Free, but it is going to be very difficult.

I feel awful for Zach. I hope his injury is not serious and he can heal and make it back before the tournament. Zach has given so much and has earned the right to play in an NCAA tournament.
    Last edited by IM4X; 01-31-2023 at 12:13 PM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Everyone is going to have to step up a bit… kyky, craft, hunter, miles, Edwards are all going to have to pitch in and get it done!
    Sans Hunter, there’s a reason these guys have been riding the pine… Oh boy.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    If true, rest him up until the tourney. We've put ourselves in a position to weather the storm and still make the tournament.

Also provides a chance for someone to step up. You can't hide Miles and Edwards anymore - it's time to step up and give meaningful minutes. They don't have to replace Zach's production, but they do have to provide a balance for Nunge. Otherwise, Nunge is going to be worn out by March too.
    To your point, Nunge looks worn out now.

Today, after listening to Miller last night, I'm thinking our coach was, perhaps a bit coy on this issue. Speaking of Edwards, he said something along the lines of needing to get Edwards more minutes as the season progresses. Since Edwards will need to play more than he has so far, Weds. is an opportunity to break him into that at Cintas, rather than on the road. Hmmm.

I also expect Miles and Tandy to get some more P.T. if Free is unable to play. For certain, Colby, Hunter and Claude must step into the breach. It doesn't feel that way now, but maybe we will look back on this as a time when we made lemonade out of lemons.

All-Conference
    I think our bench guys are capable to get us to the home stretch. We might drop a couple games we might have won, but they're good enough to not drop off a cliff. I think...

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    In what way was Freemantle a step below those fellas? I love this entire team, but he has been even better than those three guys lately. Heck, he was the top scorer last game and dropped 30 in the Georgetown game. He has been and absolute stud and crucial to the success of this team this season. This is a capable group of players lead by a great coach. They may be able to find a way to get things done without Free, but it is going to be very difficult.

I feel awful for Zach. I hope his injury is not serious and he can heal and make it back before the tournament. Zach has give so much and has earned the right to play in an NCAA tournament.
    Zach was playing lights out, no doubt, but I agree with xu9697, if i had to put those 4 in order of most important to the success of the team (or in other words who would hurt the most to lose to injury for this team) I would go:

1. Boum
    2. Colby/Nunge
    4. Freemantle

All 4 are crucial and it hurts to lose any of them. That would just be my opinion on the order though.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    To your point, Nunge looks worn out now.

Today, after listening to Miller last night, I'm thinking our coach was, perhaps a bit coy on this issue. Speaking of Edwards, he said something along the lines of needing to get Edwards more minutes as the season progresses. Since Edwards will need to play more than he has so far, Weds. is an opportunity to break him into that at Cintas, rather than on the road. Hmmm.

I also expect Miles and Tandy to get some more P.T. if Free is unable to play. For certain, Colby, Hunter and Claude must step into the breach. It doesn't feel that way now, but maybe we will look back on this as a time when we made lemonade out of lemons.
    I don't think we are going to see Miles unless there is major foul trouble or another injury in addition to Freemantle.

We were desperate for mins at the 4/5 in the Creighton game in the 1st half and Miles couldnt see a minute.

Maybe it was the matchup and maybe against another team he would have but I think its going to be primarily Nunge, Hunter, small ball, and then Edwards.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    I would say Boum/Colby then nunge/Freemantle about the same in terms of importance….but, the offense works so well because having both bigs being able to play in the paint creates match up problems among so many other things. I do think hunter can replace Freemantle more than he can replace nunge but it’s a huge blow.

Like others said, edwards has to step up. He showed flashes of offense last year. But really Colby/Claude will need to get to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I would say Boum/Colby then nunge/Freemantle about the same in terms of importance….but, the offense works so well because having both bigs being able to play in the paint creates match up problems among so many other things. I do think hunter can replace Freemantle more than he can replace nunge but it’s a huge blow.

Like others said, edwards has to step up. He showed flashes of offense last year. But really Colby/Claude will need to get to another level.
    No one knows the extent of the injury so we are all speculating but i have seen many times guys step up and play loose when they know they will get more minutes and the coaches don’t have the luxury of pulling them for making a mistake. We saw it last year at Seton Hall when Edwards got extended minutes in the 2nd half and produced. If Free is out then guys will get more time to show what they can do to help. Time to grow up and play. All of the guys are on scholarship are talented or they wouldn’t be on scholarship.

Sophomore
    Really hate this for Zach. He was having such a good year. I believe his surgery last year was performed by the NY knicks team dr. Wonder if they are getting second opinion, or don’t have a recovery timeline yet? Hope for the best, but depth is not this teams strength.
    Last edited by Xavgrad08; 01-31-2023 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Zach was playing lights out, no doubt, but I agree with xu9697, if i had to put those 4 in order of most important to the success of the team (or in other words who would hurt the most to lose to injury for this team) I would go:

1. Boum
    2. Colby/Nunge
    4. Freemantle

All 4 are crucial and it hurts to lose any of them. That would just be my opinion on the order though.

This stat might help people appreciate Zach a bit more:

Zach has been the high scorer in 6 of the last 10 games.

That is three times as many as any other X player during that period (Nunge and Boum each have two).

If after that stat, you still think he has been the fourth most valuable player, then I don’t know what to tell you. The kid has been a monster - his teammates are really going to have to elevate their game in order for X to keep things rolling.

Again, I love the other guys on the team and I think they are very capable of stepping up - kind of the way the team stepped up when Scruggs went down during the NIT. I am just stating facts when I say that X is losing the guy who has contributed the most points over the past 10 games and and losing him (for any amount of time) is a major loss in production. All remaining players will have to show up more consistently now in games and score more often. It can be done, but man, I can not disrespect Free by suggesting he has played below any other X player over that stretch. He’s just been awesome!