Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Returnees

2023 Returnees

I am ABSOLUTELY not looking past this season and what’s to come, but a Tweet from Adam Baum this morning juiced this thread.
    The Potential list of returnees next year is amazing! One can dream can’t one?
    -Eligible to return with Covid Years
    Jack Nunge
    Zach Freemantle
    Jerome Hunter
    Colby Jones
    Des Claude
    Cam Kraft
    KyKyTandy
    Cesare Edwards
    Elijah Tucker
    Dieonte Miles
    Plus the 3 new recruits

Souley and Kunk are definitely done.

Who will come back?
    I think Jack is definitely leaving. I think he made a pact with his wife to play one more year, this one, and go make money after he got married last summer.
    I just have this feeling that Zach, Jerome and Colby may want to run it back one more time with Sean. I could be dead wrong but fingers crossed!! Like I said. One can dream!
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I am ABSOLUTELY not looking past this season and what’s to come, but a Tweet from Adam Baum this morning juiced this thread.
    Jack Nunge
    Zach Freemantle
    Jerome Hunter
    Colby Jones
    Des Claude
    Cam Kraft
    KyKyTandy
    Cesare Edwards
    Elijah Tucker
    Dieonte Miles
    Plus the 3 new recruits

Who will come back?
    I think Jack is definitely leaving. I think he made a pact with his wife to play one more year, this one, and go make money after he got married last summer.
    I just have this feeling that Zach, Jerome and Colby may want to run it back one more time with Sean. I could be dead wrong but fingers crossed!! Like I said. One can dream!
    For once, I agree with you, MOR. Nunge goes, but the other three come back.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Jack Nunge
    Zach Freemantle
    Jerome Hunter
    Colby Jones
    Des Claude
    Cam Kraft
    KyKyTandy
    Cesare Edwards
    Elijah Tucker
    Dieonte Miles
    Plus the 3 new recruits

Who will come back?
    four new recruits, I believe.

Junior
    I see next year as a semi rebuilding year. Hard to say with transfer portal, but in saying that I think Freemantle/nunge/jones all leave. I’m not looking past this year. I’m really excited for the PG coming in next year and think Sean still will put a top 4 big East team together.

Just can’t see it being better than this year and that’s why those three leave. Hunter stays and is a leader next year.
    Last edited by Xavier; 01-28-2023 at 03:04 PM.

Supporting Member
    There was a post earlier this week quoting a service that identified Colby as a first round draft pick. Of course, that's speculation and a lot can change in the course of a season. Nevertheless, Colby's name is consistently linked with the NBA draft and I see zero (yes, zero) probability of him returning and passing up a shot to play at that level. To the extent NBA scouts tell Colby or possibly Free that another year at the collegiate level may make them more attractive, then they may stay. However, there seems to be no chance (based upon what I've read) that Colby is not drafted so I think he heads out after this year. Free maybe stays but if I were betting, I think he's gone too and Nunge has publicly stated that he wants to play overseas next year.

I do not see much potential to play for the names after Tandy and I think even Ky Ky's opportunity is a bit dicey. I would encourage them to transfer.

So, I'm with Xavier. Next year is "semi-rebuilding" but the transfer portal changes the expectation of what that term means. Miller has stated he's going to be looking for some big bodies up front. I think X will be a very attractive place and we will likely add some good players.

I would like to see Jerome next year. He reminds me of the 2007-2008 Jason Love.
    Maybe he can have some of the same success.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    There was a post earlier this week quoting a service that identified Colby as a first round draft pick. Of course, that's speculation and a lot can change in the course of a season. Nevertheless, Colby's name is consistently linked with the NBA draft and I see zero (yes, zero) probability of him returning and passing up a shot to play at that level. To the extent NBA scouts tell Colby or possibly Free that another year at the collegiate level may make them more attractive, then they may stay. However, there seems to be no chance (based upon what I've read) that Colby is not drafted so I think he heads out after this year. Free maybe stays but if I were betting, I think he's gone too and Nunge has publicly stated that he wants to play overseas next year.

I do not see much potential to play for the names after Tandy and I think even Ky Ky's opportunity is a bit dicey. I would encourage them to transfer.

So, I'm with Xavier. Next year is "semi-rebuilding" but the transfer portal changes the expectation of what that term means. Miller has stated he's going to be looking for some big bodies up front. I think X will be a very attractive place and we will likely add some good players.
    I see Colby going as well and if he is getting late first round early 2nd feedback, he should. He needs to really turn it on though the rest of the year. I can actually see Zach return though. Europe will always be there for him and who knows maybe an NBA takes a chance on him as a free agent type thing. He has shown he can shoot the ball and could have a role somewhere with one more year of development with Sean and the strength coach to get stronger. I see at least two transfers coming in, if not more, with the 4 recruits already signed.

Of course we have no idea what is happening at practice or what the staff is telling individuals about their potential for playing time the rest of this year, or in the future. So when talking about the backups, it’s really hard to say who might or might not stay. However, it wouldn’t surprise me if Tucker, Miles, and Tandy all went into the portal. It also wouldn’t surprise me if any of them stayed, but I doubt that all of them will. Think that Edwards and Hunter will both stay. I also see Freemantle, Nunge, and Jones all leaving after this year. It’s time for them to move on and start making some real money playing the game. They could all stay, but I highly doubt it.

The returning roster could easily be just:
    Hunter
    Edwards
    Claude
    Kraft

4 freshman recruits

A number of transfers 2-3-4? How many may depend on if one or more of the 3 backups returns. Miles being local may be the most likely. He could return, get his degree and still have a year left to go play somewhere else. Or maybe he finishes his degree work over the summer and leaves to play elsewhere for 2 years? Who knows? Same goes for Tandy. I see no scenario where Tucker stays.

It will most likely be a rebuilding year, but those can be fun too.

Supporting Member
    Not at practice so I don’t know but based on the fact that miller only plays them in absolute dire situations or not at all, I’d be shocked if miles, Tucker, Edwards are on the roster next year. Think we have seen enough to understand that Mike’s and Edwards can’t play at this level.

I’ll also be extremely surprised if free, jones come back. What would be the reason for them wanting to? Go make your money gentlemen.

Should get some great transfers in along with the recruits… I for one expect to see an almost complete overhaul of the roster next year.

Every end of season for past 5 years has had similar predictions for multiple players to transfer. It commonly is stated that "these players who don't play much will likely transfer".

But other than Ben Stanley and Odom, everybody returned for this season.
    And surprisingly the 2021 off-season didn't have many players transfer.
    Same could be said for 2020 and 2019 offseason. For whatever the reason, X retained a good amount of players who didn't paly much.
    Last edited by xukeith; 01-29-2023 at 09:05 AM.