Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

2023 Professional Golf Thread

Time for some golf news.
    The LIV Tour has a TV Broadcast deal…allegedly.

GO JASON!!

https://www.si.com/golf/news/liv-gol...ith-cw-network
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

WELP, not a ringing endorsement. CW channel? Who the hell is that? Streaming options? I guess we will see but this doesn't change my mind at all about the long term viability of this tour.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    CW Network is the bastard stepson of what used to be the UPN and WB networks.

I wonder if they'll also get preempted for endless loops of MJ Frog cartoons like Xavier-Wisconsin back in the day.

Today? Shit changes so often. Used to be cable and satellite stuff. Now the streaming wars are intense. Obviously viewers on the hook with these wonderful contract negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    WELP, not a ringing endorsement. CW channel? Who the hell is that? Streaming options? I guess we will see but this doesn't change my mind at all about the long term viability of this tour.
    Spoiler: LIV is better funded than the PGA Tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Spoiler: LIV is better funded than the PGA Tour.
    If no one is watching and very few care, the long term prognosis is not good..........with the exception of those cashing the big checks. Good for them, bad for the game of golf.

Supporting Member
    All that liv has done imo is make rich guys, richer and cause my interest in watching golf, outside of the majors, to dwindle. I used to watch almost every week, but I don’t think I could tell you the last time I paid attention to a non major event.

Imo this fracture has been really bad for the sport overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    All that liv has done imo is make rich guys, richer and cause my interest in watching golf, outside of the majors, to dwindle. I used to watch almost every week, but I don’t think I could tell you the last time I paid attention to a non major event.

Imo this fracture has been really bad for the sport overall.
    Exactly

Consumers want to see the best players competing against each other.

PGA still has a significant edge in talent and top players........all LIV can do is offer more oil money to pull them away

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    If no one is watching and very few care, the long term prognosis is not good..........with the exception of those cashing the big checks. Good for them, bad for the game of golf.
    No one was watching and nobody cared either when Pro Soccer started in this country. Now? Hmmmm.
    The Saudis have an unlimited spigot of money…unless everyone stops driving and heating their houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    No one was watching and nobody cared either when Pro Soccer started in this country. Now? Hmmmm.
    The Saudis have an unlimited spigot of money…unless everyone stops driving and heating their houses.
    Yeah, not a great analogy. LIV isn't all bad. They will force the PGA Tour to increase purses and change the way they do business. Maybe even alter the way tourneys are run. But, in the end money usually does win. I just dont see what the end game is for LIV? Clearly they are incredibly upside down on their investment and will be for years. What more can they be in this for is my question.