Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A matter of Cintas Center lighting

For those of you who go back to the days of the Cincinnati Gardens, and are now obviously enjoying the confines of the Cintas Center, I realized something while watching a replay of the UConn game. I also happen to still have the 2019 Villanova game on my DVR.

When you go back and watch the 2019 contest, you’ll notice how bright the arena is with respect to its lighting profile. When you watch the UConn game that just happened, you’ll notice that it appears darker, at least, on television, like it used to be at the Gardens, when the floor was really the only thing highlighted by the lights.

The only reason I am bringing this up is because I remember us discussing the lighting in both arenas. Some people really liked the profile in the older place.

Well, we appear to have gone full circle. With all of the improvements that Xavier has made to our facility over the years, we now appear to have the best of both worlds.
    X A V I E R

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    The arena also felt a lot brighter when it initially had gray paint in the end zone with the student section. Now it's been painted navy blue and also gives the arena a bit of a darker feel.

Watching in person at Cintas is fantastic from a lighting standpoint

Watching on TV, games at the Cintas are VERY poorly lit. There is no contrast or definition of the players when the camera used is the normal view of the court. When the camera switches to on court and closeups, everything is lit very well. Im a bit of an A/V guy, with higher end equipment. I dont EVER touch TV settings as they are really well dialed in, except for I have a settings profile that I switch to for X home games. It makes things a little better, but washes out the crowd. Its terrible either way.
    The difference seen during away games is a big improvement. Watching NBA games is amazing and you can tell they spend serious time, engineering and $$ on the lighting profiles. #soapbox

Ive thought many times about starting this post, but thought I would be a lone crybaby so I never bothered.
    Last edited by atljar; 01-06-2023 at 07:48 AM.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Forget any lighting issues, if they could just solve the wifi issue that would be fantastic, lol. It remains baffling to me how the wifi remains an issue every year. They have to truly not care.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Forget any lighting issues, if they could just solve the wifi issue that would be fantastic, lol. It remains baffling to me how the wifi remains an issue every year. They have to truly not care.
    The wifi is really spotty, but it doesn't seem to just be a Xavier problem. I have experienced it at the majority of sporting events i have been to in the last 5 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    The wifi is really spotty, but it doesn't seem to just be a Xavier problem. I have experienced it at the majority of sporting events i have been to in the last 5 or so years.
    Calling it spotty is way too fair.

Maybe it is where I sit in section 105, but I cannot remember it ever working for me even one time. And then forget my cellular data working in there, maybe that is a verizon issue, or maybe everyone has that problem?

When I go up to the concessions, my phone blows up with all the messages that havent been coming through.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member

Maybe it is where I sit in section 105, but I cannot remember it ever working for me even one time. And then forget my cellular data working in there, maybe that is a verizon issue, or maybe everyone has that problem?

When I go up to the concessions, my phone blows up with all the messages that havent been coming through.
    Yeah you sit way too close to the court :) . I have been up in 201 for all of the games...it goes in and out. Really, I just wish it would work so i could keep track of my degenerate gambling during timeouts.

The cellular doesn't work for me at all....I have verizon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Yeah you sit way too close to the court :) . I have been up in 201 for all of the games...it goes in and out. Really, I just wish it would work so i could keep track of my degenerate gambling during timeouts.

The cellular doesn't work for me at all....I have verizon as well.
    Yeah I don't intend to be on it during the game but during timeouts or halftime I like to check my group texts, twitter, and certainly now, do some live wagering!

I think you’re very close to my seats in 105. I don’t even try to use the WiFi for two reasons. One, it is very spotty at times. Two, it’s a big security risk to use any open WiFi, unless you’re also running a VPN. Luckily, I’ve got a pretty good 5G signal from T-Mobile, so I just stay on cellular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

And then forget my cellular data working in there, maybe that is a verizon issue, or maybe everyone has that problem?
    I sit in section 104 and the wifi never works for me either. It feels like they installed the wifi when they built the place and never upgraded the signal. I also have Verizon and it is brutal on cellular as well. My messages send 10 minutes after i send them and websites never load.

Since I upgraded to the Iphone 13 last summer, with the 5G, it seems things have gotten worse in general. Cintas has always been bad, but I have a tough time surfing the net in wide open spaces where I should have a clear signal.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"