Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Freshman
    Not that it's a surprise, but zero media coverage of the coaching search aside from a press release with a quote from GC in the Enquirer.

A name to keep an eye on is Robyn Fralick at Bowling Green. BG is 29-6 and hosting the third round of the WNIT on Thursday. She spent 10 years at Division II Ashland, including three years as head coach. She went 104-3 overall and won a national championship and was national runner-up one of the other years.

Bowling Green was a power in the 2000s, going 258-92 with an NCAA Sweet 16 appearance under Curt Miller from 2001-2012. Miller left to become the coach at Indiana (and is now coach of the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks). Greg Christopher hired Miller's replacement, assistant coach Jennifer Roos, who went 24-11 and 30-5 in her first two seasons before going 38-81 over the next four years and getting fired at the end of the 2018 season.

Fralick replaced Roos and has proceeded to go 9-21 (2-16 MAC), 10-21 (3-15), 21-8 (14-4, WNIT bid), 17-16 (10-10), and 29-6, 14-4 (and counting) in the MAC this season. She graduated from Davidson in 2004, so despite having eight years of head coaching experience, she's only around 40 years old.

BG actually has a former Musketeer on its team. Morgan Sharps was one of seven players who left Xavier after the 2019-20 season. She was averaging 11 points per game this year but hasn't played since January, so I assume she's injured.

Fralick has also been mentioned for a job opening at Michigan State, which obviously is a bigger job than Xavier. But there are some connections that would make her an attractive pick. Beyond speculating about her, I have no clue who else could be in the mix, and a lot of that probably depends on what kind of financial commitment the department can make to the program (the facilities are great, but let's be honest, they're there for the men's team, and you can't get by on that alone anymore).

BG could still be playing for another week or 10 days depending on how far they go in the WNIT. I have no idea when to expect a coaching announcement -- could be in five minutes, could be in several weeks.

https://bgsufalcons.com/staff-direct...yn-fralick/591
    Last edited by HomerCecil; 03-21-2023 at 12:09 PM.

Just hire Special Jennings and be done with it!
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

It’s Final Four week. And kids are now starting to enter the Transfer Portal.
    What is Greg Christopher going to do?
    C’mon man!

Can't hire Dawn Staley until next week.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Can't hire Dawn Staley until next week.
    I have an irrational hatred of Dawn stemming back to her time at Temple. I think I could get over it if she won Xavier a national championship.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Freshman
    Bowling Green is still playing, but there are rumors that Fralick is a focus of Michigan State, who is also looking for a new coach. MSU is not a total disaster of a program and is in a better conference, so if they're interested in her and she wants to jump, it's more likely to be to MSU than to here. No idea what to think or when we'll hear anything--since GC announced Moore's departure so quickly after the season ended I thought he might move quickly to fill the job.

UC hired a coach earlier this week, Katrina Merriweather from Memphis. She was only at Memphis for two years (going 2-0 against Xavier) but turned them around fairly quickly. She was at Wright State before that, taking them to the tournament and getting a win as a 14 seed, which is almost unheard of on the women's side. She has been successful but also has baggage: One of her Memphis players was charged with assault last week after sucker-punching a Bowling Green player in the handshake line postgame (BG beat Memphis, ending their season; Merriweather left for UC the next day).

Who knows.

UC just hired former player, Katrina Merriweather. Still no action X's front.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Freshman

Glad she landed at a comfortable place.
    She is a good egg, just not a good Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Glad she landed at a comfortable place.
    She is a good egg, just not a good Head Coach
    Why didn't you just stop with the compliment? No need for the back-handed comment.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens