Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Final 73-37. C’mon (wo)man!

Freshman
    In addition to superstars Bueckers and Fudd (the latter of whom should be back for the rematch in Storrs) and Geno not being there, starting center Aaliyah Edwards hurt her foot in the first quarter and didn't return. Caroline Ducharme (Reid's sister) is in concussion protocol and didn't play (she averages about 9 ppg). So we got about half of UConn's team.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerCecil View Post
    In addition to superstars Bueckers and Fudd (the latter of whom should be back for the rematch in Storrs) and Geno not being there, starting center Aaliyah Edwards hurt her foot in the first quarter and didn't return. Caroline Ducharme (Reid's sister) is in concussion protocol and didn't play (she averages about 9 ppg). So we got about half of UConn's team.
    Which is why they were able to score just over half of what UConn scored.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Kevin McGuff was Muffet McGraw's top assistant on the Notre Dame championship team of 2001 - his forte was recruiting (see Harris, Amber and Phillips, Ta'Shia). He was a great regular season coach, yet had a knack for underachieving in the NCAA Tournament.
    They should have gone to a Final 4 except for 2 blown WIDE OPEN LAYUPS under the basket that would have clinched a win vs Purdue.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Perhaps the greatest game Xavier's women ever played was in 1999 at Gampel Pavillion in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Xavier lost by 2 after being up 6 in the final minutes. We're a far cry from those days!

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    Which is why they were able to score just over half of what UConn scored.
    In the postgame presser, Mel said she was pleased X was only outscored 26-21 in the second half. I mean, I get it, what is she supposed to say, but that mostly happened because UConn took its foot off the gas. She also again talked about how young the team is, which has been a consistent line each of the past four years. It's just getting hard to listen to.
    Last edited by HomerCecil; 01-06-2023 at 09:37 AM.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Perhaps the greatest game Xavier's women ever played was in 1999 at Gampel Pavillion in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Xavier lost by 2 after being up 6 in the final minutes. We're a far cry from those days!
    Remember that game like it was yesterday. I lived in Cincinnati in high school in the late 90s and got hooked by that game. Spent a lot of afternoons at Schmidt Fieldhouse over the next few years watching Mel Balcomb's teams play. Some of the best offense I've ever seen.

Xavier has always been about getting the right players- recruiting. The men's program with its success is at another level. The women's program needs a high level recruiter at the helm.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    They should have gone to a Final 4 except for 2 blown WIDE OPEN LAYUPS under the basket that would have clinched a win vs Purdue.
    That game was against Stanford, not Purdue. Notice how either a men's or women's team always seems to have a catastrophic failure when they're on the verge of playing in San Antonio in the next round (see 2004 Men's Final 4, 2007 Men's Sweet 16, 2010 Women's Final 4)

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Fortunately a 15-point win against Tennessee in the 2001 Sweet 16 became the benchmark for greatest game in program history.

Freshman
    STORRS, Conn. – The UConn women's basketball game vs. DePaul scheduled for this Sunday, Jan. 8, has been postponed, as announced by the BIG EAST Conference. The Huskies are currently under the conference minimum of seven available scholarship student-athletes.

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2023/1...postponed.aspx