Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I think he brought in a good amount of good players. However, the pieces don’t fit all that well, and they certainly weren’t built for the big east.
    My biggest disappointment with Steele’s recruiting is that he didn’t bring in enough BE level bigs. We have Zach and Jack who are quite good (at least on offense), but we should have at least 4 bigs on the current roster who can play at the BE level (bigs who can be counted on to score a few buckets and make a few stops). I really Sean was going to bring in a second transfer who was forward or center.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    My biggest disappointment with Steele’s recruiting is that he didn’t bring in enough BE level bigs. We have Zach and Jack who are quite good (at least on offense), but we should have at least 4 bigs on the current roster who can play at the BE level (bigs who can be counted on to score a few buckets and make a few stops). I really Sean was going to bring in a second transfer who was forward or center.
    Any program worth anything in the last couple of years in the Big East had SEVERAL powerful, thick, muscular, strong - however you want to describe them - just physical specimens when it came to size and strength. We have been at an OBVIOUS strength and leverage disadvantage because of it.

Our bigs are more finesse, which is fine, but you need the bangers in this conference. You absolutely have to have them because most of the teams worth a damn have several, and they're good.

Even the quality Villanova big men that could shoot were also just physical specimens that simply manhandled our bigs.

Junior
    Agreed. The only way to go with what Steele wanted is an absolute stud center that drains from deep and exploit it all game long. During Nunges stretch we had four guards with him (I think, hunter may have been there though) and we did a really good job with the pick and roll opening up cutting lanes and spreading Gonzaga out. It worked pretty well, I think we see more of that. Not much more.

It’s not a recipe for success in the big East to center the whole game plan around. But it will work here and there.