Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup

I’m going to preface this by saying I’m not a soccer fan. But I have been open minded and tried. I watched the match today…obviously don’t have an opinion on what I saw because I don’t know shit about the sport. I do have some questions…and these are completely genuine. I’ve not had these questions answered. Maybe somebody here can educate me.

1. What is the history of flopping in professional soccer? When did it start?

2. Why is it allowed to continue? Why hasn’t anything been done about it?

I ask these questions because as a casual fan, it’s the hardest thing to accept while watching. I fully realize that other sports have flopping…but not nearly to the extent as soccer. Are the players coached to fall like they’ve been hit by a sniper in the base of the spine and leg? And if no penalty is called to pop up and play as if nothing happened? Again…completely genuine questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    I’m going to preface this by saying I’m not a soccer fan. But I have been open minded and tried. I watched the match today…obviously don’t have an opinion on what I saw because I don’t know shit about the sport. I do have some questions…and these are completely genuine. I’ve not had these questions answered. Maybe somebody here can educate me.

I ask these questions because as a casual fan, it’s the hardest thing to accept while watching. I fully realize that other sports have flopping…but not nearly to the extent as soccer. Are the players coached to fall like they’ve been hit by a sniper in the base of the spine and leg? And if no penalty is called to pop up and play as if nothing happened? Again…completely genuine questions.
    This!

I don’t get it either.

Didn’t watch a second and I’m glad I went that route.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

While at Xavier a friend and I once drove up to Columbus to watch a World Cup qualifier on closed circuit TV. The sport has grown since then.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Most players run about 7-8 miles in 90 minutes, and are generally on the move the entire time and sprint from time to time. They are exhausted after a game. They play every 3-4 days.

The bottom line is that the “flopping” is basically a way to get a quick breather. That’s really it. Fall down, roll around for a minute and everyone gets to catch their breath.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Argentina may have a bit of a problem right now.

As a lifelong soccer fan, I can share in the frustrations.

As far as when it started?? Probably the second or third game ever played.

As far as why is it allowed to continue?? Also a good question. There have been times where they've made it a point to reduce it, but it has never really worked.

I equate it to trying to draw a charge in college basketball in the sense that in both situations, players will react as if they had just gotten hit by a train. They're "selling the foul" to try and get the whistle. It's done for various reasons. One may be to stop the momentum or flow of a game, one may simply be to get a minute or two of rest, one may be simply to annoy the other team.

There is really only one reason it continues. It works. That's it. If it didn't work, players wouldn't do it. If they came out and started issuing yellow cards for obvious flops, within a matter of weeks there would be no more flopping. College basketball now has the flop warning. While it still occurs, you're seeing less and less of it. If soccer addressed it and made issuing cards a part of the standard officiating, it would stop.

Yes, I am watching the World Cup. I'm still very unhappy about it. I hate how this played out, and feel that in a lot of ways they have ruined what is perhaps the greatest sporting event in human history. Hard to believe that when all this went down, I was still refusing to use the shift key!!

http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthrea...2-qatar-(NSFW)

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post

But you can tell that this year's USA team is better than what they've had previously. .
    I don't know if this is true. I don't expect the USMNT to make it out of this round, especially since they started off with a tie to fucking Wales.

When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, in the early 80's...I was told "Listen kid, when you are an adult, soccer will replace baseball as the most popular sport in America".

This was the same person that said "Listen kid, when you grow up, the whole world will be using the metric system".

I think we are closer to soccer replacing baseball in popularity than we are to converting the USA to the metric system. That should give you a clear picture of how far soccer has come in this country. Not much...

Soccer is one of those events better seen live. Especially in stadiums that are rabid for their club. The game action can slow down over the course of 90 minutes, but the crowds keep the game exciting. It is a beautiful game that I didn't fully come to appreciate until I played FIFA on Play Station and grew to understand the game. I think i "get it" now, still a very casual fan, but I will watch the premier league on Sunday mornings, the international tournaments, and World cup. It's a shame the US men's club is such a shit show. The world cup is a blast when our teams are playing meaningful games.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    As a lifelong soccer fan, I can share in the frustrations.

As far as when it started?? Probably the second or third game ever played.

As far as why is it allowed to continue?? Also a good question. There have been times where they've made it a point to reduce it, but it has never really worked.

I equate it to trying to draw a charge in college basketball in the sense that in both situations, players will react as if they had just gotten hit by a train. They're "selling the foul" to try and get the whistle. It's done for various reasons. One may be to stop the momentum or flow of a game, one may simply be to get a minute or two of rest, one may be simply to annoy the other team.

There is really only one reason it continues. It works. That's it. If it didn't work, players wouldn't do it. If they came out and started issuing yellow cards for obvious flops, within a matter of weeks there would be no more flopping. College basketball now has the flop warning. While it still occurs, you're seeing less and less of it. If soccer addressed it and made issuing cards a part of the standard officiating, it would stop.
    I think at times its harder to call the flop and issue a card in soccer. So many different situations, tackling positions and location to the ref whos cloest to the action.

Totally agree that FIFA needs to take a stand and issue warnings and then cards and be diligent about it. The sport suffers attracting new fans when all you see in some matches is guys "flopping", writhing in pain as if their leg was just amputated and then magically two minutes later they are sprinting 80 yards as if nothing happened. You can and should do something about those situations. If you're hurt that bad, you should have to come off the field IMHO.