Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #MillerTime

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Freshman

#MillerTime

About 2 weeks ago my father and i got into a discussion about the state of Xavier basketball. He graduated from XU in 1972. We've had season tickets since 1990 when we moved back to Cincinnati. He gave up on steele last season or the one before. He stopped going to games this season because the product on the court is "unwatchable" and just not any fun anymore to go to these games. He continued about how its an embarrassment and how he can't remember being so disgusted watching. It reminded me of a discussion we had around 30 years ago. XU was in the MCC and playing at the gardens. We showed up to the game extra early that day because something big was happening. Notre Dame was coming to the gardens to play little old Xavier. We were on our way to the big time. Big schools were willing to come play at our house. My father was more excited for that game then i ever remember. The excitement on his face. we stood down leaning on the hockey walls watching warmups.

Its hard to imagine now, that this was that big of a deal some 30 years ago and how far we've come. A lot of younger fans wont understand or appreciate this but im sure some older ones will. I was in grade school for this game and I could barely tell you anything about that game, just the excitement and how it had my father convinced we were on our way as a program. 30 years of work and now we're on the verge of throwing it away. There are ebbs and flows but to soar this high to give it away for a mediocre coach. I was excited for the Steele higher when it was announced. Plus his father-in-law on the board, no way he's going anywhere and we've got our coach for life that we've always wished for. The experiment has been run and its time to take a serious look at the results and the results are failure. Its time to move on continue to Build this Xavier brand. We got ourselves to the big leagues but if we can't be competitive, not just competitive, i expect to challenge for the league title at least most seasons, more than half. Under Steele, we've seen that won't happen and the time has come to move on and make changes that are needed to make that happen.

#MillerTime

Junior
    I also graduated in 72, and remember the long and difficult climb to where X is now. Sitting in Schmidt watching us get our brains beat in, finally joining the MCC, moving to the A10, then the Big East. D1 Big East basketball is all we have. I'm sure most of us hang out with people who are fans of mega schools in the BIG, or SEC, or BIG 12, whatever. They have football, some have good basketball. All we have as X fans and grads is bball. And to turn it into the steaming pile of shit that it is right now, is awful. Look around at all those new buildings, the Cintas Center, etc., the majority of that can be traced to alumni pride and donations because of the basketball team. It's the lifeblood, the engine that runs the car. Wake up Xavier Admn, you're killing the golden goose by keeping this clown. Now it seems like it's slipping away with a dufus AD and a clueless coach. The fact that the solution (Sean Miller) is sitting right there, is excruciatingly tantalizing. We immediately become a force to be reckoned with, instead of the laughing stock we are quickly becoming. I personally don't give a damn if we beat UC (evidently Steele's only skill) every year, if we're going to nosedive every winter and end up sitting at home in March. It's definitely #MillerTime.

I go back to 84 and with that saw games at Schmidt and the Gardens. I agree with everything in the above two posts. I would only add that someone compared our program to a plane ascending. Slow but gradual. Building on the past. We hit on every coach hired including several from within. The odds are stacked against having correct picks every times we have to make a change.

Now TS comes in and with no credibility declares he can fulfill the final 2%. Sounded good at the time now it sounds like someone bragging about someone else's accomplishments. Miller and Mack both played division one BB. Steele was nothing but a gym rat. He seems like a nice guy. He married into huge $ Good for him but it does not move the needle.

It has not worked and it is so damn obvious I can't believe it's up for discussion.

My season tickets and All For One are history unless a change is made and with Miller sitting there like a puppy wanting to be petted it is unbearable

Quote Originally Posted by Murph85 View Post
    I go back to 84 and with that saw games at Schmidt and the Gardens. I agree with everything in the above two posts. I would only add that someone compared our program to a plane ascending. Slow but gradual. Building on the past. We hit on every coach hired including several from within. The odds are stacked against having correct picks every times we have to make a change.

Now TS comes in and with no credibility declares he can fulfill the final 2%. Sounded good at the time now it sounds like someone bragging about someone else's accomplishments. Miller and Mack both played division one BB. Steele was nothing but a gym rat. He seems like a nice guy. He married into huge $ Good for him but it does not move the needle.

It has not worked and it is so damn obvious I can't believe it's up for discussion.

My season tickets and All For One are history unless a change is made and with Miller sitting there like a puppy wanting to be petted it is unbearable
    Fr. Hoff was the one who made the plane analogy I believe. I won't tell anyone how to spend their hard earned money.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Sophomore
    Our family has just decided to not renew our season tickets if Steele is retained. Still was a tough decision as we have had them since the early 80s

Junior
    This thread got my hopes up too much. Every time I come to the board I hope to see a rumor flying about Steele and Miller.

Other than our rather closed bubble here that wants Sean to be our next head coach, has there be any independent, external reporting that he would even be interested in the job, if it were offered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    Other than our rather closed bubble here that wants Sean to be our next head coach, has there be any independent, external reporting that he would even be interested in the job, if it were offered?

I heard from this guy, who knows this kid, who talk to a friend that said they saw Sean at 31 flavors last night. Guess it’s pretty serious.
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    I heard from this guy, who knows this kid, who talk to a friend that said they saw Sean at 31 flavors last night. Guess it’s pretty serious.
    Works for me!

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post

ESPN said in an article to keep an eye on Miller if Steele is let go. Didn't sound like they knew he or X would be interested for sure though.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17