Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Freemantle

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Free is an immature punk. At least he has been. I'm sure of a couple things:

1. Miller has been observing things since he's been on campus and I'm sure has had some conversations with Zac
    2. Miller has very likely communicated that Zac needs an attitude change and that hasn't happened to Miller's liking
    3. Miller will take no BS and is setting the tone. I LOVE IT
    Yeah, I think this is a good early showing from Miller. Nobody gets to play by different rules, and nobody is bigger than the team. We figured there was a good chance we might not have Freemantle this year (due to transfer when Miller got hired) so we aren't really any worse off.

Zach needs to get it together.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Yeah, I think this is a good early showing from Miller. Nobody gets to play by different rules, and nobody is bigger than the team. We figured there was a good chance we might not have Freemantle this year (due to transfer when Miller got hired) so we aren't really any worse off.

Zach needs to get it together.
    I think all of us have benefited from 'forced maturity' at some point in our lives. It doesn't always happen organically and usually takes someone to show what the pain of non-conformity looks like. I'm hoping this is the case with Zach and he comes out of this as more of a man. An uber-focused, disciplined Zach would be a real problem for this league.
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Free is an immature punk. At least he has been. I'm sure of a couple things:

1. Miller has been observing things since he's been on campus and I'm sure has had some conversations with Zac
    2. Miller has very likely communicated that Zac needs an attitude change and that hasn't happened to Miller's liking
    3. Miller will take no BS and is setting the tone. I LOVE IT
    For much of the summer, Sean Miller has been praising Zach for his effort. I agree conversations have been had, and think this was Miller's first opportunity to "make his point", with a veteran player, who should be able to handle some tough love.

SM was forced into a similar situation during his first season as head coach, when he suspended Dedrick Finn. Chris Mack had to do the same thing with Mark Lyons at the beginning of his tenure.

This type of stuff is not new, and sets a tone for how the program will be run under Miller.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Sophomore
    Mack seemed to actively encourage some of the more indignant players and Steele was just plain soft. Interesting to see what kind of personalities Miller will favor.

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    Chris Mack had to do the same thing with Mark Lyons at the beginning of his tenure.
    Chris Mack benched Jordan Crawford (at least didn't start him) in the Crosstown Shooutout. That was pretty ballsy. Worked out, but it could have certainly gone the other way.

Though, I just looked, and Crawford played 38 (out of 50) minutes in that game. So not exactly severe disclipline.

This has all the earmarks of a premeditated suspension. I'm not saying that's what this is. I'm just saying that's what it might be. He didn't do this at Arizona every year, but he certainly did it more than once. Suspend a key player "indefinitely" right around the time practice starts. In every case that I can remember, said player was back before the first key game, and usually before the first official game. There is a good chance that this is all kind of planned.

A friend of mine is a high school teacher. He says he gives more detentions the first day of the year than he does for the rest of the year combined. It's by design. That MIGHT be what this is.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    For much of the summer, Sean Miller has been praising Zach for his effort. I agree conversations have been had, and think this was Miller's first opportunity to "make his point", with a veteran player, who should be able to handle some tough love.

SM was forced into a similar situation during his first season as head coach, when he suspended Dedrick Finn. Chris Mack had to do the same thing with Mark Lyons at the beginning of his tenure.

This type of stuff is not new, and sets a tone for how the program will be run under Miller.
    Nuts with the 100% accurate take.
    Prime Coaches take zero guff. Secondary coaches (I'll leave it to your imagination as to who) let players get away with trash.
    Sean is Prime. That's why he's back.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    This has all the earmarks of a premeditated suspension. I'm not saying that's what this is. I'm just saying that's what it might be. He didn't do this at Arizona every year, but he certainly did it more than once. Suspend a key player "indefinitely" right around the time practice starts. In every case that I can remember, said player was back before the first key game, and usually before the first official game. There is a good chance that this is all kind of planned.

A friend of mine is a high school teacher. He says he gives more detentions the first day of the year than he does for the rest of the year combined. It's by design. That MIGHT be what this is.
    This is insane. What a great way to establish credibility with you team by just indiscriminately making an example out of one player to set a tone of "fear" across the roster.

No Chance

(btw, I would NEVER refer to a HS teacher as a model for effective leadership).

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    This is insane. What a great way to establish credibility with you team by just indiscriminately making an example out of one player to set a tone of "fear" across the roster.

No Chance

(btw, I would NEVER refer to a HS teacher as a model for effective leadership).
    I don't think it's to set a tone of "fear." I think it's to set a tone of "fall in line" or get out. If you have ever been part of a sports' team, you know how important it is that everyone understands expectations, and that everyone trusts in their teammates in critical situations to do their job, instead of flying solo. That's how winning is done.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Who said it was indiscriminately?

I would imagine Free gave him good reason. I would also imagine this would be the proverbial "honeymoon is over" moment for this squad. My hunch is things have been fairly cordial throughout the offseason (we've heard nothing but positivity coming from Miller and the program since he took over) and this was likely the first time SM had a legit reason to set the tone.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"