One-and-Done Rule Likely To Disappear

Let me start with this. The so-called one-and-done rule isn't really an NCAA rule at all. It's totally out of their hands. Whenever you hear someone say "the NCAA needs to get rid of the one-and-done rule!" do yourself a favor and end the conversation. You're speaking with someone who is too ignorant to converse with. It's like saying the state of Idaho should get more beaches in order to bolster its tourism. It's just a profoundly dumb thing to say.

Having said that, all signs seem to be pointing to the NBA lowering the age for the draft from 19 to 18 and doing away with the rule that players must be one year removed from high school. This could (and likely will) happen as soon as after the 2024-2025 season.

So everyone is starting to go into a tizzy. A couple of thoughts...

-The NBA is going to do what's best for their brand. Of course they are. I don't know enough about the NBA to even have an intelligent opinion on whether or not this is a good thing for them. I don't even know who was in the finals last year. I can't remember the last time I watched an NBA game. I went to an NBA semifinals game in Indianapolis back in 2005 (I think) because I was offered free tickets. That may have literally been the last NBA game I saw.

-There are over 4700 D1 men's basketball players now. The number of players that are good enough to play in the NBA right out of high school is probably less than ten. So in the grand scheme of things, we're talking about such a small percentage of players, that I just don't think it matters THAT much.

-Furthermore, I remember college basketball in the mid-to-late 90s all the way through 2006. It was pre-one-and-done. It wasn't as if the sport didn't become popular until 2007. It was fine then. It will be fine now.

-The one thing that does concern me is that in the pre-one-and-done days, every year you had between 40-50 players who declared for the draft out of high school, and of course ended up not even being considered. All could have been good college players and been given a good life changing opportunity even if they weren't playing in the NBA. All basically crashed that opportunity into a mountain, ruined any chance of playing college basketball, and basically totally jacked up their basketball careers. I would consider that less than ideal. I would like to see some sort of discussions that would allow players who go undrafted to have the opportunity to play in college. With the new NIL rules, this only seems fair.

Now having said that, I fully expect the NCAA to have no discussions whatsoever, do nothing, and then in 2025 have absolutely no plan at all despite having over three years to come up with something.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I think it's bad for us. I think we had an opportunity to capitalize on the one and done era when the Kentuckys, Dooks, and UNCs of the world had a bunch of incredibly talented, but immaature, inexperienced freshmen highlighting their rosters. Now you're going to see the blue blood programs with players who actually stick around a while, and they're going to be scary good teams even if the talent is down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I think it's bad for us. I think we had an opportunity to capitalize on the one and done era when the Kentuckys, Dooks, and UNCs of the world had a bunch of incredibly talented, but immaature, inexperienced freshmen highlighting their rosters. Now you're going to see the blue blood programs with players who actually stick around a while, and they're going to be scary good teams even if the talent is down a bit.
    This the LeBron Jr. rule. The rule will change just in time for father and son to play together.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by George1294 View Post
    This the LeBron Jr. rule. The rule will change just in time for father and son to play together.
    I'm seeing reports that it may not happen for 2-3 years since too many teams have traded their first round picks under the assumption that it would still be there.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack