Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Sophomore

Upcoming Season Predictions?

I know we are a few months away from basketball season but we need some basketball chat on Xavierhoops. What are your predictions for the upcoming season? I am excited to see what Miller can do with the talent we have on this team. I think we will be a Top 3 team in the Big East and will compete for the regular season title. I also see this team being a sweet 16 team if all the pieces come together.

Sophomore
    that is the upside..I am looking to make the dance and see enjoyable games which has not always been the case over the past few years.

Junior
    20-12, NCAA 2nd weekend

Sophomore
    36-0 National Champs!

Quote Originally Posted by SC in DC View Post
    36-0 National Champs!
    X just skipping 4 games at some point? I think you mean 40-0 National Champs!
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Wouldn't every team be sweet sixteen if all their pieces came together? Not sure what that's predicting.

Conference wide, the Big East will be pretty interesting with so many diverse changes. Last season was certainly a bit of down year compared to the few prior seasons. What coach is going to get their guys together to rise to the top? It's hard to know.

Xavier, Butler, Nova, Seton Hall: new coaches. UCONN, Marquette, and DePaul are improving from previous leadership. How improved is hard to say. It's just a different conference from four or five years ago.

Creighton is consistently tough and should have a lot of talent this season. They are the ones to beat in 22-23. Kalkbrenner and Nembhard, returning from injury, are really good. Since everyone else got experience last year with their absence, it should be a more developed team.

X has so many question marks because we don't know how guys' play will improve with Miller. The talent is there. After the NIT I want to see Jones as the point or play maker way more frequently. I just don't know if that will happen. He's going be the catalyst to getting front court players like Nunge and Freemantle better looks. The front court depth is crowded. I'm thinking Tucker, Edwards, and Miles will be improved, but enough to get on the floor more?

Miller is faced with starting the season without a true point guard & the opposition knows it. November & December should be "growing time" for this squad; who emerges and who fades will likely determine early BE play. Barring (major) injuries the Coach will probably have an eight-nine- man rotation by mid-January. After that, the sky is the limit. Prediction: third in the BE, make the Dance & lose in the Sweet Sixteen.

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    X just skipping 4 games at some point? I think you mean 40-0 National Champs!
    We will be so scary good 4 teams will forfeit rather than be embarrassed! It seems cheap to count those!

I’ll say about 4th in the BE and back to the Big Dance.

I’m just glad to be talking about basketball again!

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopster68;738137 [B
    Miller is faced with starting the season without a true point guard & the opposition knows it. November & December should be "growing time" for this squad; who emerges and who fades will likely determine early BE play. Barring (major) injuries the Coach will probably have an eight-nine- man rotation by mid-January. After that, the sky is the limit. Prediction: third in the BE, make the Dance & lose in the Sweet Sixteen.
    You mean that Boum isn't on the team??
    Last edited by X-man; 08-22-2022 at 03:54 PM.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

I'm thinking 4th but that's not the ceiling for this team IMO.
    Balls of Steele!!