Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Mental Health Crisis in America

This topic needs a Thread.

We all know that a vast portion of our population is Obese and out of shape. This has to effect a lot of folks mentally.....self esteem, anxiety about heath problems and lack of motivation/productivity (laziness) among others.

I would like to focus on our young people to start, after all they are the future of our society. AND would like to start the timeline with the advent of the home video game system, i.e. the Nintendo system (mid 80's). So that includes individuals under 40.

The harsh reality is that a HUGE portion of these folks have become obsessed/addicted to this phenomenon, particularly in the 10-30 age range.

This is something that is literally sucking the life blood out of these kids. It is not unusual for 8-10 hours devoted on a screen everyday. These are hours that can not be described as productive and by default take away the same time that could be invested being active and engagie in healthy activities. Not only is this time spent stationary, but it typically involves consuming unhealthy food/drink choices while doing so....greatly contributing to the problems mentioned at the top of my post.

This epidemic is REAL. The Genie is out of the bott!e and solutions are basically not being addressed....Borderline hopeless. AND everything I see suggests it will only get worse.

I intentionally avoided "Violent/Sexualized" video content to get feedback on the obvious. We are in real trouble here folks. Systematic Racism? White Supremicy as top threats to our Democracy?

Just scratching the surface. What the hell is going on here?
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

… and get off my lawn!!!
    Eat Donuts!

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Â… and get off my lawn!!!
    This topic is to big and wide to address as I could talk about it for days on end.

I totally agree that it is a problem but I honestly donÂ’t know how you fix it in the country we live in.

The two big contributors (there are more) in my opinion that are technology and broken homes/poor parenting/no accountability.

There are third grade kids who have smart phones and can access everything that is out on the web without supervision. Kids don’t need smartphones and I am sure the long term effects of cell phones will be studied for years to come. Kids should be outside playing or reading books. Not given smartphones, “60 inch TVs in their bedrooms to watch at all hours of the night (true story).

Broken homes/poor parenting/no accountability is another concern. Working with children, it amazing me that a lot of kids grow up with a single mom, raised by grandparents, or are in foster care. Some of these kids have no hope or ambition in life. One parent said they gave their child Mountain Dew to help them go to sleep. True story according to my dentist and it turned the kids teeth black. I believe Ohio has like 50% of the population on free or reduced lunches. ThatÂ’s just unacceptable in my opinion with the amount of job openings out there. Either companies arenÂ’t paying their employees enough or this country has a lazy generation who relies on the government for everything. Also speaking of accountability, we have several broken families who have 6+ kids and canÂ’t afford to pay for any of them. The kids are already receiving counseling and are a mess and likely will receive government assistance when they are grown ups. The lifecycle of government assistance will continue until there is accountable to make government assistance not a lifestyle.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by xuphan; 08-17-2022 at 04:38 PM.

The lifecycle of government assistance will continue until there is accountable to make government assistance not a lifestyle.

- - that is a fabulous statement. Accountability, emphasis on the family unit, higher standards, etc. are badly needed.
    X A V I E R

It might seem like a stretch to say term limits are related to mental health (and government subsidies), but getting reelected seems to be more important than doing what’s right. We take money away from mental health, then give that money out to people (a/k/a voters) who can’t seem to hold a job or do the right things.

One quick and easy way to cut expenses is to remove funding for people who need it, but are not in a position to advocate for themselves. We have a friend who used to run these facilities for hospitals until a few years ago. She gave up for her own mental health.

Apparently it’s difficult to get people to vote themselves off the gravy train.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    … and get off my lawn!!!
    Sorry booze, you should just not have an opinion here. This is Serious.

This could be the most important discussion out side X hoops on this site.

And early indications here, seem to indicate folks here understand the reality of the topic.

Supporting Member
    I agree mental health is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. However, I don’t agree that video games and being obese are high contributing factors at least not to the extent that social media, family dna, physical and emotional trauma and bad upbringing are. I also don’t really know what can be done about it. I really wish social media had never been invented, I believe that has more to do wi th the rise of mental health struggles more than anything, especially as it relates to young people.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I agree mental health is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. However, I don’t agree that video games and being obese are high contributing factors at least not to the extent that social media, family dna, physical and emotional trauma and bad upbringing are. I also don’t really know what can be done about it. I really wish social media had never been invented, I believe that has more to do wi th the rise of mental health struggles more than anything, especially as it relates to young people.
    Good points, though I do believe that less gaming and more physical activity outside with friends would be better for children.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Good points, though I do believe that less gaming and more physical activity outside with friends would be better for children.
    Yeah, it is apparent that some people are completely ignorant. These kids DO NOT go outside. They are totally disconnected from traditional norm...... unfortunately I know it to be fact.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 08-18-2022 at 10:31 AM.