Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    As optimistic as I am about the future with Miller on board, the ultimate affects are YTD. That may indeed be the best day especially considering the change in trajectory.

The program was on a more ascendent prior to the G'Town game, which is what got us to there. That win, however, changed the perception and designation of Xavier (OH) forever.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Beating Ohio State in the '84 NIT was huge....arguably the most significant win up to that point. I also remember the Larkin/Kimbrough team that beat Denny Crum and the mighty Louisville Cardinals in 1988 was crazy good! Louisville was ranked #4 in the country!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 08-13-2022 at 07:27 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Of course, this thread can not be complete without mention of Andy Mac's "Number One in the Country..... Number Two in their own City"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Of course, this thread can not be complete without mention of Andy Mac's "Number One in the Country..... Number Two in their own City"!!!
    Biggest win for the program. We all know exactly where we were when Brown hit that shot.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Biggest win for the program. We all know exactly where we were when Brown hit that shot.
    I owned the INFINITY COMIC BOOK SHOP on MC and Wheeler. That night I was at my younger brother in law's dorm with NOTHING but UC crazies. When Brown hit the shot, I ran through the ENTIRE DORM screaming X, X, X, X, X!!!!!!

Freaking EPIC!

I've got a 1st edition of the Silver Surfer.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    One of the greatest calls of all time, for any sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I've got a 1st edition of the Silver Surfer.
    In 1990, I would have paid you $5 for it. We constantly exploited students transitioning from comics to beer!

https://www.abebooks.com/comics/Silv...31141282273/bd

Can't do that now!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 08-14-2022 at 07:33 AM.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Thats a tough one. No way of knowing what would have been different if West didn't come back. In a vacuum I'd say an awesome coach is always more important for the program than an awesome player. The coach doesnt have to graduate.

To this day though, David West was my favorite X player to watch. It was so fun every game counting down his points and rebounds until he had a double double. Usually done counting in the very early 2nd half. He was a machine. The tourney loss sucked but that season and seeing him get his jersey retired while still a player was AWESOME. And X having a National POY!

BTW Maryland only advanced to beat us because of a last second fadeaway 3 pointer that got them the win against I believe UNC Wilmington. Still dumb.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    There are lots of great and important moments for this program. I think a long-term perspective is helpful in answering the question. Certainly D. West coming back was important. But, if we are going to concentrate on one player, it was the signing of B. Larkin that really signals the beginning of the arrival of Xavier basketball. It was Larkin, after all, who parted the seas and let the Muskies out of the obscure basketball desert and into the modern era of Xavier basketball.

Still, the seminal moment in Xavier basketball as UCGRAD4X pointed out above, is the huge and historic win over Georgetown. Looking back, I can think of no bigger win in X history----although there have been a bunch of big wins. That win marked a point in Xavier basketball from which the program development accelerated.

Re-hiring Miller is a big moment but it doesn't compare to unknown X taking down badass GTown in March before a nationwide TV audience.