Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jerome Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Everyone loved the Mack/Steele offense when Macura was drilling ill advised 3's. It worked out because JP was JP. When you have guys that aren't JP or Crawford taking those shots your results may vary.
    I think that many were concerned that the “offense” that Mack ran never seemed to work against really good teams, like Villanova. I for one thought that they didn’t deserve their #1 seed, and while I didn’t expect them to lose in the 2nd round, I didn’t expect them to make a final 4 that year either. I didn’t think that it was an offense that could be relied on game after game against the best teams in the land.

As much as many many people say that basketball has “changed”, I still know that it’s easier to make a layup than it is a trey. I still believe that reliance on outside shooting beyond the arc is fools gold. It’s great when they are falling, but they aren’t always going to fall. I’d rather rely on an offense that runs from the inside out. An offense that has inside scoring first, and which then sucks the defense in and leads to wide open outside shots that the players can step into and make at a high %.

I’d be happy if I never saw Hunter take another 3 pointer and somehow developed a reliable mid-range game combined with strong rebounding and defending.

I did notice a stretch of games where Hunter looked like a confident and capable freethrow shooter. Soft touch from him.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I think that many were concerned that the “offense” that Mack ran never seemed to work against really good teams, like Villanova. I for one thought that they didn’t deserve their #1 seed, and while I didn’t expect them to lose in the 2nd round, I didn’t expect them to make a final 4 that year either. I didn’t think that it was an offense that could be relied on game after game against the best teams in the land.

As much as many many people say that basketball has “changed”, I still know that it’s easier to make a layup than it is a trey. I still believe that reliance on outside shooting beyond the arc is fools gold. It’s great when they are falling, but they aren’t always going to fall. I’d rather rely on an offense that runs from the inside out. An offense that has inside scoring first, and which then sucks the defense in and leads to wide open outside shots that the players can step into and make at a high %.

I’d be happy if I never saw Hunter take another 3 pointer and somehow developed a reliable mid-range game combined with strong rebounding and defending.
    Well said. I’m not going to give back the #1 seed, but didn’t we earn the dubious distinction of being the worst one-seed ever according to whatever metric?

The three-point game seems to be an all or nothing proposition. Unfortunately for Steele, the latter was a common outcome. I often wonder how well most coaches actually understand advanced metrics. I suspect even fewer understand how to effectively fold them into the human element of the game.
    Last edited by XUBison; 08-05-2022 at 07:14 PM.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Sophomore
    the metric you are thinking of is that our margin of victory was the lowest of any one seed that year(maybe ever). We won so many close games(heck max strus had an open 3 to tie the last game at home v Depaul and would have hit it now- if he hit it we may not have won the BE. i remember so many nip /tuck games v St Johns, Creigton , Butler etc but we did win them all. Trevon hit a FOUR pt play to tie Georgetown and we won in OT. That was a great year but ver tough on the ticker