Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Strange Trip of Keonte Kennedy

The guy has taken quite an unusual path to Memphis.

https://sports.yahoo.com/memphis-bas...210855239.html

Who knows what could have been here at Xavier. He's pretty damn good when healthy, but we ended up with the better UTEP guard anyway.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Does anyone know off hand when Kennedy was at Xavier? What was the roster like at the time. I assume it was the first year of Steele? There should have been minutes available, but he never played. was he not ready, or just didnt get a chance? Seemed like we could have used him the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Does anyone know off hand when Kennedy was at Xavier? What was the roster like at the time. I assume it was the first year of Steele? There should have been minutes available, but he never played. was he not ready, or just didnt get a chance? Seemed like we could have used him the last couple years.
    He played in 22 games during Steele's first year.
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...kennedy-1.html

All-Conference
    I wouldn't put alot of stock in a kid's potential based on how Steele utilized him.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I wouldn't put alot of stock in a kid's potential based on how Steele utilized him.
    Well, thats kind of why I asked the question. Did he just get alot better after he left. Or was he always a solid player but just buried in Steeles moronic rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Well, thats kind of why I asked the question. Did he just get alot better after he left. Or was he always a solid player but just buried in Steeles moronic rotation?
    At the time I thought he showed flashes at being a good player when he wasn’t just taking 3’s, but after watching the last 4 years, unfortunately think it’s the latter.

Of course I was probably higher on Kennedy than most on here, so take it for what it’s worth…or maybe it was just his Xavier commitment video I enjoyed.

He averaged about 8.5 points in his third year out of high school at UTEP. I suspect he just wasn't particularly good as a freshman and has developed somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    He averaged about 8.5 points in his third year out of high school at UTEP. I suspect he just wasn't particularly good as a freshman and has developed somewhat.
    I would say KK is above average for all the frosh in his class with rides to D1 schools. Most players don't get a ton of PT nor score more than 6 points a game.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I wouldn't put a lot of stock in a kid's potential based on how Steele utilized him.
    Yes to that. Kennedy was a long athletic guard. He didn't see the floor a lot and, as I recall, he basically quit the team in the second half of his freshman year----"personal reasons' I think were the culprit. He had a game which could have been used, I think, in an up-tempo offensive scheme. Of course, Steele didn't run an up-tempo offense so most times X would push the ball up court then immediately circle the wagons and fall into some silly weave that often resulted in a long three attempt. Does this sound familiar?

I recall Kennedy launching some ill-advised three balls and don't remember him as an effective outside shooter. Then, again, he was a freshman. I'm sure he had a fragile ego (like many frosh) and we all know Steele wasn't an effective communicator with his teams.

So, Kennedy left for greener pastures, found them and he has had a decent, if not spectacular, career. Steele either ruined or failed to develop talent in his four years. We are so fortunate he is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    I would say KK is above average for all the frosh in his class with rides to D1 schools. Most players don't get a ton of PT nor score more than 6 points a game.
    This is a tough statement to prove, but I don't believe KK was "above average" his freshman year. He averaged 12 minutes per game and played in a total of 22 games that season, and averaged a measly 2 points. He played in 19 and 24 games in his other 2 seasons so 22 games is not a small sample for KK. He played 11 minutes against Creighton on February 3rd of that year, then he quit on his team and went home.

KK didn't get a great shot at playing time his only year at Xavier. His minutes dropped off significantly after the first of the year. I blame Travis Steele as much as any for the lack of development by Kennedy and his departure.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"