Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The GW TBDs

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    Say good bye to Colonial Sanders with KFC. It's coming.
    It is sarcasm but wouldn't be surprised if it happens.
    Umm.....nevermind. I'll let someone else explain it.

I always thought GW had one of the stupidest nicknames in all of sports. If it were the George Washington Colonels instead of the Colonials, that wouldn't be the best nickname, but it would at least make SOME sense because at least he was once a colonel. George Washington fought AGAINST colonialism, not for it. He sure as hell didn't champion it. GW calling themselves the Colonials is sort of like Lincoln Memorial (who's transitioning up to D1) calling themselves the Secessionists. That would just be a really stupid nickname and display a complete and total ignorance of history.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Probably because the various armies of the colonies, their colonial armies, came together to become the continental army.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Umm.....nevermind. I'll let someone else explain it.

I always thought GW had one of the stupidest nicknames in all of sports. If it were the George Washington Colonels instead of the Colonials, that wouldn't be the best nickname, but it would at least make SOME sense because at least he was once a colonel. George Washington fought AGAINST colonialism, not for it. He sure as hell didn't champion it. GW calling themselves the Colonials is sort of like Lincoln Memorial (who's transitioning up to D1) calling themselves the Secessionists. That would just be a really stupid nickname and display a complete and total ignorance of history.
    Sometimes I double down on being stupid. :)
    Balls of Steele!!

Sometimes I double down on being stupid. :)
    It’s all good! We all do it!

And it’s still nowhere near as stupid as GW picking that as their nickname in the first place.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    It is sarcasm but wouldn't be surprised if it happens.
    You realize it is Colonel Sanders and that is different than the word Colonial, right?

NVM: I see now this has been addressed, lol.
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 06-16-2022 at 03:32 PM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    I wonder if Hippos is in the running. I never understood that mascot.

I think Hippos would be a great mascot.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Another school in our nations capital in a similar controversy?

https://thehoya.com/georgetown-commu...federate-ties/

Hoyas will stick, colors may not...
    six foot four & a soph-O-more...

Quote Originally Posted by JAPER View Post

I think it should be the other way around.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by JAPER View Post

I'm amazed at how many people want to be seen being mad at something. I'm even more amazed at the things they come up with to be mad at. I'm highly disappointed, but I am also highly amazed.

This is stupid. There's no other words for it. This "objection" should not even be dignified with a response. Yet, that doesn't seem to be an option anymore. You can't just ignore the crazy. You have to placate to those who want to be seen being mad at something.

I hate how people now seem to go through their lives as if they were producing a TV show. Some want drama. Some want comedy. Many will create drama if no real actual drama is available, and they'll go about doing this by making sure everyone sees that they're mad at something. In 2008, almost no one gave a shit about any of the following things...

-Standing for the Anthem. Most of the time players didn't even come out for the Anthem, and if they did no one made it a point to watch what any of them were doing and then flipped shit about it later. Hell, most of the fans were still either in a beer line or taking a piss.

-You could openly condemn police brutality and no one would criticize you for not supporting the police

-You could openly support law enforcement, and no one would accuse you of condoning police brutality

-You could go to a Lynyrd Skynyrd or watch the Dukes of Hazzard, and no one would flip out over the Confederate Flag (which isn't really the Confederate Flag). Hell, Willie Nelson played Uncle Jessie in the movie!! I'm surprised he hasn't been cancelled yet.

-Almost no one knew or cared where any of the Confederate Statues were. Leave them up? Fine! Take them down? Fine! No one gave a shit.

-Critical Race Theory was something second and third year law students studied, and no one was angry about it. Now seemingly everyone is. They don't know what the hell it actually is, but damnit! They're mad about it for not being taught enough, or for being taught too much!!

-The person people voted for in national, state, and local elections could lose, yet most people still wouldn't feel completely disenfranchised. At least not for that reason. Hell, for some of the most enjoyable periods of my life I didn't vote for the people who were in public office.

-No one gave a shit that Georgetown's uniforms were blue and gray.

-No one ever said "Shut up and dribble!" At least not that I remember. Muhammad Ali was a pretty outspoken guy, and although he was before my time I don't think too many people were saying "Shut up and box" Although...maybe he did. But if they did, then he didn't listen, and he's now still one of the most revered athletes in world history.

-I don't recall anyone ever getting pissed off about a Disney movie, or an old Warner Brothers cartoon. If those old cartoons and movies were coming out today I don't know if our country could even handle it.

I could go on, but you get the idea. A lot of things that piss people off and divide people today are things that, even a short time ago, no one really gave a shit about. Not everything, but a lot of things that people flip out about today are things that no one on either side cared about at all. If someone 10-15 years ago flipped out over anything listed above the way they do today, EVERYONE on both sides would have thought they were nuts!

Yet, what's distressing is how many people want something to flip out about! They need drama for the TV show that is their life, or their social media page, or whatever. We were better off when we didn't care so much about things that...quite frankly...really shouldn't be all that damn important or upsetting.

Rant over...For now.
    Last edited by xubrew; 06-22-2022 at 11:19 AM.