Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    I support universal background checks too. The dickhead in TX would have (presumably did) pass a background check. See, the problem is not background checks or guns, it’s dickheads.
    Call me crazy, but dickheads with water balloons concern me far less.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I don't own a gun. I am surrounded by people who do, and I'm okay with that. I don't want to repeal the Second Amendment. I am probably okay with "common sense gun control" if anyone can tell me what the fuck that means, exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Could you please stop referring to the murder of 19 grade schoolers as junk? You come off as a psychopath and asshole.

Also, for all those running logic loops around why gun control won't work. Please read the original post again. There are dozens of countries with similarities to the US in everything but gun ownership. And guess what? Their grade schools are safe from psychopaths murdering children. I thank God I was born in this country, but there quite a few I wish I had been born in instead.
    You have been lied to. https://twitter.com/andrewcfollett/s...zuTV524CjxceSA
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Supporting Member
    I don't own a gun. I am surrounded by people who do, and I'm okay with that. I don't want to repeal the Second Amendment. I am probably okay with "common sense gun control" if anyone can tell me what the fuck that means, exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Call me crazy, but dickheads with water balloons concern me far less.
    You are clearly crazy.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    I support universal background checks too. The dickhead in TX would have (presumably did) pass a background check. See, the problem is not background checks or guns, it’s dickheads.

So, why have these school shootings gone from unheard of to commonplace in 25 years?”. Where have all these dickheads come from? Why are dickheads using guns to kill innocent children? We’ve always had uninfringed right to bear arms. What has changed?

Now we can talk about a real solution.
    IMO a lot has to do with the publicity and 24 hour new coverage. 15 minutes of fame. There is a reason suicide is not mentioned in the news... because they(mental health advisors) know that will only increase suicides. IMO that is what has changed. The world has always had dickheads.
    Balls of Steele!!

All-Conference
    I'm all over the place on this one:

* The seeds of these shootings are almost always tied back to bullying, isolation and people making them feel like they don't belong. Does that likely lead to some mental illness, sure, but the root of most of these school shootings is people being horrible to other people. These shooters are exacting revenge, albeit on the innocent. I don't think most are mentally ill, and know exactly what they're doing.
    * I agree that the average citizen doesn't need assault rifles in their possession. Spare me the semantics about what makes a rifle an assault rifle. They're designed to kill a bunch as quickly as possible.
    * Proposed gun legislation is a step in the right direction, but it won't stop anything. There's already too many guns out there. People act like signing this new legislation will end this immediately - it won't. But it still needs to be done.
    * Gun control and mental illness aren't even at the root of this problem (school and random revenge shootings, not general gun violence), yet that's where it's trying to be solved. It will never end that way.
    Last edited by drudy23; 05-26-2022 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Spare me the semantics about what makes a rifle an assault rifle.
    The semantics are about the most important part, honestly. Without getting the details right, you're just "do something" person, and the something might make people feel better but is actually pointless.

All-Conference
    The semantics are about the most important part, honestly. Without getting the details right, you're just "do something" person, and the something might make people feel better but is actually pointless.
    AK-47 - kills a whole bunch of people really quickly
    AR-15 - kind of the same thing

In most ways that matter (killing at a rapid clip), they are the same.

Supporting Member
    The devil is always in the details, and federal legislation can be incredibly complex to write. I would hope that any of the people working on it are not relying on the definitions from a message board in drafting the bill. But a general sentiment to pass a law to ban or greatly limit possession of the gun that has been frequently used in these type of mass killings, and similar types of guns, is not "do something," but a policy position, even if it doesn't use precise technical terms.

I would like to see limitations on semi-automatic long rifles, limitation on magazine sizes for all other semi-automatic guns, increased background checks and training requirements prior to purchasing, registration requirements, and ID checks on the purchase of ammunition (much like sudafed).

I would also be all for a requirement that we paint all guns bright pink with unicorns on them to cut down on the people whose personalities can best be described as "owning a gun make me a badass." (kind of joking).
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    AK-47 - kills a whole bunch of people really quickly
    AR-15 - kind of the same thing

In most ways that matter (killing at a rapid clip), they are the same.
    I don't disagree, and thus why calling for an "assault weaon ban" sounds good but might actually be pointless. You could very easily enact an assault weapon ban and have it not ban the very weapon used on Tuesday. And 98% of people wouldn't even realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterX View Post
    Sickening.
    Why can't supply chain issues hit the gun or ammo industry?
    It has, oddly enough. I remember 9mm ammo was in short supply during much of the pandemic. The Gun store near my office had a large sign they would put out when it was in stock.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook