Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Do Constitutional rights not apply to the mentally ill?

Junior
    It is worth noting that firearms can be modified.

So if we do create a list of banning certain firearms or certain sized magazines, or bump-stocks, or whatever - people will find a way to circumvent the law if they are motivated enough to do so.

Does that mean we shouldn't try to curtail mass shootings by analyzing and drafting national laws? No. Just because something is difficult doesn't mean you shouldn't make an attempt.

But we should be cognizant that there is no singular solution. It's a multifactorial problem.
    zip em up

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    Has there been any report that this monster had any mental health issues, besides it takes one sick fuck to do the things he did? We know for sure that he had easy access to the gun and that did contribute to his ability to pull off this horrendous attack. So it seems like restricting the access to the weapon is a solution that should be explored? However, if you are suggesting that we should do a mental health evaluation prior to anyone purchasing a weapon, I could get behind that suggestion.

This all reminds me of the Eddie Izzard stand up bit, "The National Rifle Association says that, "Guns don't kill people, uh, people do." But I think, I think the gun helps. You know? I think it helps. I just think just standing there going, "Bang!" That's not going to kill too many people, is it? You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart to have that."
    I can't remember the source but it's basically been shown the majority of times these random mass killings happen, especially in schools, it is the result of the shooter being beaten down, bullied, ridiculed and ostracized by their classmates up to that point. Often pushed aside and neglected by their own parents. Chronically made fun of and pushed aside as a nobody. We all see this cruelness in junior highs and high schools.

It's no excuse, but it's where these seeds are planted. If you want to do anything, find that lonely, picked on kid, and be his friend, and interject when kids are cruel to one another. That's where this starts.

These are RARELY/NEVER some crazy, deranged mental patients or psychopaths that just wake up one day and decide to go on a random shooting spree.

I'm sure this will come out in this shooting as well.
    Last edited by drudy23; 05-26-2022 at 02:58 PM.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Db0Y4qIZ4PA

Maybe Chris Rock was on to something here. Just trying for a little levity…

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Especially the bullet control bit.

Nowadays, it would be "Okay, you can have an AR-15 to your heart's delight. But the bullets will be $5000 apiece."

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Especially the bullet control bit.

Nowadays, it would be "Okay, you can have an AR-15 to your heart's delight. But the bullets will be $5000 apiece."
    Heck! The gun is free, as well as cocktails at the shooting range! That sounds liken a good idea, right? Cocktails at a shooting range?

My wife was still a kid when her grandfather had her shooting at squirrels off the back porch in rural South Carolina. All her cousins would go quail hunting together. It’s a way of life from an early age in some places. Fine, I get that, though it was foreign to me. But I don’t think anyone can convince me there is an excuse to have these assault type weapons available to the masses. The problem is how do we undo this? This is not what our Founding Fathers had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Then repeal it, I don't give a fuck what it takes, just stop mass shootings in this country. Is that too much to ask?
    How about locking school doors so no random wacko can enter? How about using armed security? I mean our politicians have security, but they won't allow that at schools.

I have 4 rifles, 3 handguns, and a shotgun. One of my rifles is an AR-15 and one is an AR-10. I'm not ashamed to admit I own them. My daughters know how to handle a gun and have been taught firearm safety.

We have laws on the books. Enforce those laws.

It's absolutely tragic what happened to the kids who were murdered in cold blood by a clearly mentally disturbed psycho.

Why are kids now wanting to shoot up schools? These aren't adults shooting up schools.

I read a story today from a teacher at that school that really struck me.
    In the 50's we had drills in our grade school where we took "cover" under our desks in a simulated response to a nuclear attack.
    (pretty sure that was not ever going to be effective, but....)

Her story is that they now practice in grade schools all the time for a response to an active shooter in the school.
    And that she had her kids under the tables and the door locked as their friends were being killed.
    I just find that really, really sad.

Also, I understand the rifle and shotgun for hunting, and the pistol for personal in-home protection.
    I do not understand why people are fascinated with and want to own AR's. They should volunteer for the military.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    How about locking school doors so no random wacko can enter? How about using armed security? I mean our politicians have security, but they won't allow that at schools.

I have 4 rifles, 3 handguns, and a shotgun. One of my rifles is an AR-15 and one is an AR-10. I'm not ashamed to admit I own them. My daughters know how to handle a gun and have been taught firearm safety.

We have laws on the books. Enforce those laws.

It's absolutely tragic what happened to the kids who were murdered in cold blood by a clearly mentally disturbed psycho.

Why are kids now wanting to shoot up schools? These aren't adults shooting up schools.
    I’ll venture a guess: violent video games and easy access to weapons well suited for mass shootings???

I’d like to get rid of both of those things.

Heard on the news that this kid in Uvalde actually stated four years ago that he was gonna shoot up a school when he was 18. That's just sick.

Why do kids want to shoot up schools? Because that is where they were bullied and harrassed. This Uvalde kid was bullied for years and the teachers there knew it as did his family.

The only answer I have is to provide more federal resources at schools (armed resource officers/security, safer doors, etc). Why send $40B to Ukraine when we should be spending this money here to keep Americans safe. Or maybe use some of that $40B on mental health facilities and programs.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12