Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Sophomore

Gun Control

10 gunned down in a supermarket in Buffallo.
    19 children gunned down in Texas.

USA is the only developed country in the world with close to no gun regulation and correspondingly, the highest gun violence rate by far.

Will our politicians compromise and adjust with the times to protect our most vulnerable? Or will they protect their lobbies and will school shootings and random massacres stay apart of this culture in the future?

I used to be totally against regulation until Sandy Hook happened, changing your mind is ok.

A brief history from an American historian:

https://heathercoxrichardson.substac...ay-24-2022?s=r
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

I'm a conservative.

We need more gun control. Plain and simple.

Any type of assault rifle is not needed by the vast majority of US citizens.

Thorough background checks (including) a mental evaluation is needed. I would have no issue with that process taking 90 days or more from the date that you apply for a license.

Other countries have mental health issues too. Yet, don't have near that same amount of senseless mass shootings. Something has to change.

I would be interested to know if the guns used for these massacres are registered weapons belonging to the person committing the crimes or a close relative/friend. I think this is likely and, if it is true, then the argument that "criminals don't care about gun laws" might be true for street crime, but not for massacres and we should be able to do something about it. Should we hold the owners of the weapon that was used accountable for letting it get out of their control? I think there are two things here. One is illegal weapons in the hands of criminals. There are just too many weapons out there to regulate that at this point, but those people (in my opinion not based on facts) don't seem to be the ones shooting up elementary schools. The second is the criminal use of registered weapons. Often by people with mental health issues. We make people get a new drivers license every 2 years. Why can't a gun owner be subject to a psych eval every year or so to maintain that license? I think this part can be dealt with. You can still own a weapon, but with that ownership comes required responsibilities. And violation of those removes your right to the weapon and, depending on what happened with your weapon, culpability for the crime. Just thoughts this morning.
    Last edited by muskiefan82; 05-25-2022 at 08:03 AM.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Supporting Member
    There’s a politics thread for this junk.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    There’s a politics thread for this junk.
    Honestly, who hurt you? What is wrong with you that 2nd graders being executed doesn't challenge your conscience? You must have no family or friends, but it requires a bare minimum of human empathy to hurt for those kids and their families.

Sophomore
    Sickening.
    Why can't supply chain issues hit the gun or ammo industry?

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    I would be interested to know if the guns used for these massacres are registered weapons belonging to the person committing the crimes or a close relative/friend.
    I don't believe Texas has any requirement to register guns. This guy's guns were apparently bought last week after he turned 18.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

The rifle the shooter had was apparently purchased legally as 18 year olds can own a long gun in TX. You have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a licensed dealer. Doesn’t mean you can’t buy one in a private sale. I haven’t heard where he got the that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    The rifle the shooter had was apparently purchased legally as 18 year olds can own a long gun in TX. You have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a licensed dealer. Doesn’t mean you can’t buy one in a private sale. I haven’t heard where he got the that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Need to focus on Mental Health. I bet all these mass shooting (columbine, Sandy hook, Parkland, Texas, etc) at school were committed by individuals who have been reported time and again to JFS and the juvenile system. I am sure they all had a record and nothing was done to get them help. Need to do a better job as a society at identifying these individuals at a young age and get them the help they need.