Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Totally agree. Wouldn’t that be refreshing to see?
    Yes. I haven't experienced anything like the last 3 years during the last 40 years. The team just didn't get better. They may not have actually gotten worse, but since the teams they were playing did get better it made them look like they had regressed in ability. Every. Single. Year. It was killing me watching the train wreck that took the floor in January, February, and March. They defined the team that plays this way: "If you shoot well, you can win, but if you don't shoot well, you better be able to defend and make good decisions or you will lose". That was who they were. If they hit from outside that game, they could win. If they did not, it was going to be an ugly, ugly win if they pulled it out or it was going to be a VERY ugly loss.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

I was probably the king of giving 2nd chances. This past season, at around February, it seemed like X was jinxed, voo-doo dolled, or someone made a deal with the devil.

It happened like clockwork. The coach of positiveness and feel good rewards again had led a team into total meltdown and catastrophe.

It sadly had to happen but we came out as a huge winner with Miller coming to the rescue. Cristopher handled it smoothly .

Maybe we X fans have to thank South Carolina for peaking Miller's interest and waking the X administration.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    I think defining a tournament team is less important than just expecting him to get the team better organized and playing with good fundamentals. If they can play as they are trained to, as a unit, then I think the rest will fall into place. And we'll likely enjoy that so much more.

Physically, they can only do so much depending on who they face. But things like better ball movement, better shots, more drives to the basket, etc....that's what I'm expecting to see.

Unneeded 3 pointers early in the clock. Never throwing the ball inside. Holding the ball until the last 10 seconds on multiple trips. All things I don't want to see.

And personally, I never thought the packline lived up to what it claimed to do. I'd like to see more variety on defense.
    To amplify your point, consider the results for Loyola Chicago in 2018: a No. 11 seed that made it to the F4 through precision teamwork. And I'll take our roster over what they had, thank you.
    X A V I E R

NCAA tournament and that is all

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    You're a decade off my man!
    fixed

Sophomore
    I expect Sean to get us into the tourney next season. Most certainly, we will see a dramatic improvement in the team’s basketball IQ. Sean is a generational basketball intellect, and he knows how to coach.

I re-watched the entire Sweet-16 game versus WVU a couple months ago when someone here posted the link during tourney time. (Thank you.) It was shocking how much better coached that team was than what we have watched the past few years. We played to our strengths, seized our advantages, played team D, took good shots, got to the bucket, got fouled— And we made our free throws.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Y'all keep heaping praise on Miller such as best in the league, most intelligent, generational....

There is also debate on if the COVID team would have been in the tourney and how close the other Travisty teams were until the last games....

If those teams were that close and Miller is that great, how is "just getting in" the expectation?

I guess I'm the ant with a rubber tree plant.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Junior
    Mainly because even a great coach can’t be expected to turn a team that missed the tournament (however close) 4 straight years into an expected deep run. Not to mention the conversation turned from “Steele isn’t a good coach” to “the players just aren’t good enough for big East basketball”. (Which is still on Steele as coach for recruiting them).

Miller being hired and an NIT has masked that a bit. Honestly one of main reasons I wanted Steele gone is because I thought the whole roster needed an overhaul, outside of Jack. If Steele was still the coach there would be a lot of talk about how the team just isn’t talented enough for Big East still. I think Scruggs being off the team will help overall and the freshman and transfer coming in will help as well.
    Last edited by Xavier; 05-11-2022 at 08:35 AM.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Y'all keep heaping praise on Miller such as best in the league, most intelligent, generational....

There is also debate on if the COVID team would have been in the tourney and how close the other Travisty teams were until the last games....

If those teams were that close and Miller is that great, how is "just getting in" the expectation?

I guess I'm the ant with a rubber tree plant.
    The problem I see is the roster still has some significant deficits. I think Miller can get the team to the tournament. I won't freak out if he doesn't. I could see a run to the sweet 16 too. You just don't know I guess.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I just hope that since Miller is the new coach that any existing relationships between coach/players is gone and Miller will sit a player who isn't meeting expectations and won't care who it is. The ability to deliver a message immediately without worrying about feelings/player psyche and just being able to teach fundamental basketball for a year will benefit some of these players immensely.

The "I don't care who you are or what you do, if you don't guard or you shoot a 3 10 seconds into the clock when you shoot poorly to begin with, then you don't play" mentality will be nice to see
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!