Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xucub View Post
    I expect higher basketball IQ. I expect less 3 point shots that are jacked up without a single pass being thrown. I expect toughness which equates to more free throws. I expect to see 76% made free throws. i expect to see defense that does not mimic Biden's open border policy when it comes to the lane. i expect to see player development. i expect to see less of the Jerome Hunter 3 Point Experience and more of the Jerome Hunter Defensive Stopper. i expect to minimize the amount of games where we are down 10 points in the first 10 minutes. i expect to sit in my seat and not wonder how they are going to blow this game.
    I would love 76% from the FT line but in 5 years with Miller as X coach we never once got that. 75% was the closest we ever got. Other season ranged from 67% to 74%
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    But why do you think that what should be the goal for every year is what you REALISTICALLY expect to HAPPEN next year?

So really what the question should be is….What do you think will HAPPEN in Sean’s first season?

I thought the "I expect nothing less that S16" covered it. Sorry if that was not clear.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Miller is/was my all time favorite X coach but I have too many roster doubts.

X should have made the tourney this past season.

Miller is by far a much better coach.

The current roster is weak in my opinion. I love Jones but he is not the baller he needs to be.
    Nunge is great but he is not a dominant post player(he is tall but can be outrebounded by many other BE players).
    4 years of subpar shooting will not be magically forgotten. Shooting will improve but I am not expecting 38%+ 3 point shooting.

Also other BE teams have surpassed X over teh past 4 years. Creighton, UConn and Providence are more succesful programs.

The most important position for a successful Miller team is point guard. Boum is goood but X needs a first team BE point/shooting guard with experience.

I have high hopes but skeptism due to previous 4 years of X basketball under Steele has damaged the X brand.

I am giving Miller 2-3 years before a deep run in NCAA Tourney is expected.

I think the question is: Is this team better than last year's?

Should we expect this "perhaps" better roster, to perform more closely or even beyond their potential compared to the most recent?

Should we expect the team to get better down the stretch or be playing their worst basketball at the end of the season (sans NIT)?

Should we expect Miller and Co. to develop our young players and put them in a position to contribute?

The bottom line might be: how many wins do you think reasonable answers to these questions might garner?

2? 3? 5? 8? 10?

Last year's team was pretty firmly in until "The Fade"!

If that ALONE can be avoided we should be in easily.

Win two. I honestly do not think that is unreasonable.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Junior
    I'll take "Accepting the trophy from Jim Nance for $1000 Alex"

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    I thought the "I expect nothing less that S16" covered it. Sorry if that was not clear.
    You really think that X will make the S16 next season? Really? Please tell us why you think that will happen.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    I think the question is: Is this team better than last year's?

Should we expect this "perhaps" better roster, to perform more closely or even beyond their potential compared to the most recent?

Should we expect the team to get better down the stretch or be playing their worst basketball at the end of the season (sans NIT)?

Should we expect Miller and Co. to develop our young players and put them in a position to contribute?

The bottom line might be: how many wins do you think reasonable answers to these questions might garner?

2? 3? 5? 8? 10?

Last year's team was pretty firmly in until "The Fade"!

If that ALONE can be avoided we should be in easily.

Win two. I honestly do not think that is unreasonable.
    I expect, barring an injury to a key player, for us to be easily in the Dance, and a factor in the Big East race.

Sophomore
    In his first year? Just make Xavier basketball enjoyable again.

I don't think Kunkel or Jones will be consistent shooters. I do think Jones will be a more consistent scorer.
    Craft likely will play 10-15 minutes and hopefully shoot 5-7 threes a game.
    New transfer Boum will drive and score plus administer the offense. He will be a scorer (8-10 points a game)

I excpect X to be in top 5 of BE. X has been borderline for 4 straight years. It is Miller time to nudge this team over the February dry period which X is familiar with.

Miles would be better if somehow he was 240-250 pounds of muscle. Not sure if that is even possible for him.

Nunge and Freemantle will score a combined 28-33 points a game.
    I hope Edwards can carve out a space for pt but not sure where teh minutes can come from.
    I really hope Hunter can be the defensive stopper and hover around opponent's best guard scorer.
    Claude will spell Boum and likely get 10-12 minutes of PT.

Miller will likely have a 7-8 man rotation.
    Now the following 2-3 seasons 2023 and 2024 will be special with Miller's players and his system in place.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I am certainly more optimistic than I was at this point last year, but…..the roster really hasn’t changed a great deal, unless the 2 freshman and the transfer are impact players. So it really comes up to what a difference the coaching makes. I sincerely believe that we will NOT see the team go into the dumps during February, like we have seen the last few years, and might actually get BETTER as the season goes on. That belief is based on Miller’s track record with his teams in the past. I think that we WILL see a few of the players show some real improvement during this summer and over the season, unlike what we have seen during the last administration.

Therefore, I think that an NCAA tourney appearance, after a top 4 finish in the BE, and 22-23 regular season wins is what we might see. What happens in the tourney will depend on the draw, but a sweet 16 is certainly a POSSIBILITY in my mind.
    I think the biggest change we will all notice is in-game adjustments and seasonal adjustments. We seemed insistent on forcing a square peg into a round whole over the past couple of seasons.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I think the biggest change we will all notice is in-game adjustments and seasonal adjustments. We seemed insistent on forcing a square peg into a round whole over the past couple of seasons.
    Add xucub's comment to above: "expect to minimize the amount of games where we are down 10 points in the first 10 minutes"

Overall, focused and energetic basketball from the players for ALL 40 minutes of a game coupled with Sean's ability to make tweaks and adjustments, as needed, along the way.

The floor for me remains the NCAAT and a respectable showing in BE play.
    X A V I E R