Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

2022-23 season expectations

Iíd be very interested to know everyoneís take on how good Xís first season under Sean could be and how far they can go.

If I am completely honest, I have very high expectations for Sean and this roster. I refuse to buy into the ďYou canít expect much from a coach in his first yearĒ talk. Sean likely will have a better team returning than Travis had last year. Sean is the better game day coach. I understand he is smart enough to undersell the potential in his first year to the public. You better believe he is thinking ďthere is no way we are not making the tournament next year.Ē

My Expectations

Minimum: Sean gets X team into the tournament and win at least one game.

Maximum: sean gets X into itís first final 4.

I know that may seem like a stretch, but remember this team won the NIT tournament last year and together with a few more talented players joining the team, I do see it as a realistic possibility.
    Last edited by IM4X; 05-05-2022 at 05:54 PM.

Undefeated. National Champions!

OK, worst case is making the NCAA tournament. (Sadly, I felt obliged to state which tournament.) That is a start. Hopefully at least one win to regain our mojo, help the fans trauma and future recruiting.

I really want to look like we belong with the best teams in the BE. That was rarely the case in recent years.

Worst case: NCAAT.

Best case: Top 3 BE; semis BET, and S16.

Then the pixie dust kicks in and off we go.
    X A V I E R

Junior
    I’ll have a better gauge after we see how many games (if any? I’m sure at least a handful-but could see a lot of the OOC schedule)

I’ll say assuming he misses zero games. Best Case- win the big East/ 3 seed elite 8. Worst case- finish 5-7 in big East, lose first round ncaa tournament. I think they end up 3/4 in the Big East.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I agree how many games Sean misses will definitely matter. I am sold on Miller (obviously) I am not sold on our roster yet. I am usually as optimistic as a fan as one can get but I see the minimum a bubble team who just misses out, maximum a 4-6 seed and sweet 16 appearance.

I am worried about our play at the point. I am worried about our low post defense. I don't see how either of those things are better right now than last year. Other than Miller being able to coach more out of the players. I am also worried about our 3 point shooting still but hopeful.

I think Miller is a good enough coach to get the max result and max out of the players. I also wont be panicking if we miss the tournament in his first year.
    "Iím willing to sacrifice everything for this team. Iím going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. Iím going to play harder than Iíve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I am certainly more optimistic than I was at this point last year, but…..the roster really hasn’t changed a great deal, unless the 2 freshman and the transfer are impact players. So it really comes up to what a difference the coaching makes. I sincerely believe that we will NOT see the team go into the dumps during February, like we have seen the last few years, and might actually get BETTER as the season goes on. That belief is based on Miller’s track record with his teams in the past. I think that we WILL see a few of the players show some real improvement during this summer and over the season, unlike what we have seen during the last administration.

Therefore, I think that an NCAA tourney appearance, after a top 4 finish in the BE, and 22-23 regular season wins is what we might see. What happens in the tourney will depend on the draw, but a sweet 16 is certainly a POSSIBILITY in my mind.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 05-06-2022 at 07:58 AM.

Last year's team (and previous) were certainly capable of making the tournament and winning some games. I am not as concerned about the roster. Despite the February Fades, these teams were on the cusp. The roster is improving. The "FF "will trend from February Fade toward Final Four. I expect nothing less than S16. I absolutely think that is the floor. I think that should be the floor every year at X.
    You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Miller is/was my all time favorite X coach but I have too many roster doubts.

X should have made the tourney this past season.

Miller is by far a much better coach.

The current roster is weak in my opinion. I love Jones but he is not the baller he needs to be.
    Nunge is great but he is not a dominant post player(he is tall but can be outrebounded by many other BE players).
    4 years of subpar shooting will not be magically forgotten. Shooting will improve but I am not expecting 38%+ 3 point shooting.

Also other BE teams have surpassed X over teh past 4 years. Creighton, UConn and Providence are more succesful programs.

The most important position for a successful Miller team is point guard. Boum is goood but X needs a first team BE point/shooting guard with experience.

I have high hopes but skeptism due to previous 4 years of X basketball under Steele has damaged the X brand.

I am giving Miller 2-3 years before a deep run in NCAA Tourney is expected.
    Last edited by xukeith; 05-06-2022 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Last year's team (and previous) were certainly capable of making the tournament and winning some games. I am not as concerned about the roster. Despite the February Fades, these teams were on the cusp. The roster is improving. The "FF "will trend from February Fade toward Final Four. I expect nothing less than S16. I absolutely think that is the floor. I think that should be the floor every year at X.
    But why do you think that what should be the goal for every year is what you REALISTICALLY expect to HAPPEN next year?

So really what the question should be is….What do you think will HAPPEN in Sean’s first season?
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 05-06-2022 at 09:15 AM.

Supporting Member
    I expect higher basketball IQ. I expect less 3 point shots that are jacked up without a single pass being thrown. I expect toughness which equates to more free throws. I expect to see 76% made free throws. i expect to see defense that does not mimic Biden's open border policy when it comes to the lane. i expect to see player development. i expect to see less of the Jerome Hunter 3 Point Experience and more of the Jerome Hunter Defensive Stopper. i expect to minimize the amount of games where we are down 10 points in the first 10 minutes. i expect to sit in my seat and not wonder how they are going to blow this game.