Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    I think the ACC would be thrilled to dump ND's other sports and still get to keep the five football games.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I think the ACC would be thrilled to dump ND's other sports and still get to keep the five football games.
    Ok then, we'll call FOX and tell them to hammer out a deal.

From HLOH by a Marquette fan - I believe this is spot on (maximizing value, conference positioning and sustainability):

Regardless of how realistic a Gonzaga addition may be for the Big East, it remains as clear as day that Val, the BE Presidents and our schools are committed to maximizing the league's value (and each of the member schools' value). Rumors of UConn's return to the Big East began as early as when the American formed; with each passing year, there continued to be reports and rumors of UConn and the Big East talking about another marriage. What that revealed is that even in discussions, relationships are being built and opportunities created. What I continue to see (between Gonzaga and the Big East) are two parties that prioritize men's basketball at the highest levels of college basketball and continue to seek ways of elevating their brand and placement within the sport's hierarchy. Both sides are very much viewed as "outsiders" and "outliers", as neither sponsor FBS P5 Football. In addition, Gonzaga being a Jesuit school (like Creighton, Georgetown, Marquette and Xavier), there is already a built-in peer network where those schools work together.

I do think talks have occurred between Gonzaga and the Big East; both sides would be foolish not to at least consider it (and determine what value Fox, or other networks, would place on the league's rights). Ultimately, I think the only way a potential marriage works is for both sides to get approval by the NCAA (which is likely a formality, since the NCAA is lacking true oversight and administration at the moment) to have Gonzaga join the Big East as a Men's Basketball-Only member (maybe include the Women's side as well, but even that is stretching it). Gonzaga would need to receive approval to park all of its remaining sports in the West Coast Conference, which I would not foresee a problem due to the lack of call-ups the WCC could legitimately consider (other than Seattle and Grand Canyon, there just aren't many Private West Coast programs available anymore).

As much as some here may get frustrated by the very idea of it, but I can guarantee that evaluations are being made about what the Big East's value is with other programs being added as well (like a SLU, a Dayton, a VCU, etc.). That doesn't mean that any are likely to be added, but all options should continue to remain on the table in terms of increasing value for the league and each of the teams. Nearly a decade into this incarnation of the Big East, the bar has been set; it remains a consistent major college basketball conference, capable of sending a majority of the league to the tournament annually (with a select number playing into the second weekend or beyond), proven to compete and be successful against the other major conferences, demonstrating strong fan support and remaining hosting the best conference tournament in the country. With the coaching hires this cycle, and the coaches that have been attempted to be poached before, the league has tremendously successful and proven coaches top-to-down. It is showing no signs of slowing down and will only continue to grow.

If it is determined that Gonzaga Men's Basketball can be allowed to join the Big East, and the value offered by Fox is appropriate, the league will jump all over it. I still think there's much work to be done regarding a conclusion, but - geography discarded - it is very much possible if the stars align. Just as it was prior to UConn returning, the Big East continues to function from a position of power, not needing to be reactionary. If it makes sense for both sides, we will see the Zags in the Big East; if it doesn't then the Big East will remain strong.
    X A V I E R

I just don’t see how you can “discard geography”.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

This Gonzaga talk is a reach but I only seeing it as a possibility if BE expands.

Perhaps one day BE changes the league to a bigger basketball only conference with maybe 5-6 more Mountain/Pacific time zone friendly schools.

Maybe the SEC and B10 (or B12) unite then BE and 7 other schools form another BE West wing .

Hard to imagine but it is the only possibility that makes sense to me. Someone is writing up a proposal and selling AD on lucrative contracts.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I see almost a 0% chance of the WCC letting Gonzaga basketball walk while letting them remain in conference for all the other sports. Why would they do that? It is their only leverage.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    From HLOH by a Marquette fan - I believe this is spot on (maximizing value, conference positioning and sustainability):

Regardless of how realistic a Gonzaga addition may be for the Big East, it remains as clear as day that Val, the BE Presidents and our schools are committed to maximizing the league's value (and each of the member schools' value). Rumors of UConn's return to the Big East began as early as when the American formed; with each passing year, there continued to be reports and rumors of UConn and the Big East talking about another marriage. What that revealed is that even in discussions, relationships are being built and opportunities created. What I continue to see (between Gonzaga and the Big East) are two parties that prioritize men's basketball at the highest levels of college basketball and continue to seek ways of elevating their brand and placement within the sport's hierarchy. Both sides are very much viewed as "outsiders" and "outliers", as neither sponsor FBS P5 Football. In addition, Gonzaga being a Jesuit school (like Creighton, Georgetown, Marquette and Xavier), there is already a built-in peer network where those schools work together.

I do think talks have occurred between Gonzaga and the Big East; both sides would be foolish not to at least consider it (and determine what value Fox, or other networks, would place on the league's rights). Ultimately, I think the only way a potential marriage works is for both sides to get approval by the NCAA (which is likely a formality, since the NCAA is lacking true oversight and administration at the moment) to have Gonzaga join the Big East as a Men's Basketball-Only member (maybe include the Women's side as well, but even that is stretching it). Gonzaga would need to receive approval to park all of its remaining sports in the West Coast Conference, which I would not foresee a problem due to the lack of call-ups the WCC could legitimately consider (other than Seattle and Grand Canyon, there just aren't many Private West Coast programs available anymore).

As much as some here may get frustrated by the very idea of it, but I can guarantee that evaluations are being made about what the Big East's value is with other programs being added as well (like a SLU, a Dayton, a VCU, etc.). That doesn't mean that any are likely to be added, but all options should continue to remain on the table in terms of increasing value for the league and each of the teams. Nearly a decade into this incarnation of the Big East, the bar has been set; it remains a consistent major college basketball conference, capable of sending a majority of the league to the tournament annually (with a select number playing into the second weekend or beyond), proven to compete and be successful against the other major conferences, demonstrating strong fan support and remaining hosting the best conference tournament in the country. With the coaching hires this cycle, and the coaches that have been attempted to be poached before, the league has tremendously successful and proven coaches top-to-down. It is showing no signs of slowing down and will only continue to grow.

If it is determined that Gonzaga Men's Basketball can be allowed to join the Big East, and the value offered by Fox is appropriate, the league will jump all over it. I still think there's much work to be done regarding a conclusion, but - geography discarded - it is very much possible if the stars align. Just as it was prior to UConn returning, the Big East continues to function from a position of power, not needing to be reactionary. If it makes sense for both sides, we will see the Zags in the Big East; if it doesn't then the Big East will remain strong.
    This was like 1000 words to say that there might be mutual interest, and they could do it.

Junior
    Hey, Dash is a wordsmith, leave him be. It's always interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Hey, Dash is a wordsmith, leave him be. It's always interesting.
    It’s not even him though! He quoted someone!

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    It’s not even him though! He quoted someone!
    I dictated it to the Marquette guy.

No, that’s not true. I can’t back that up.
    X A V I E R