Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Do you guys think if it was only Gonzaga that they would do a western and eastern division? I tend to think so, and that would help Gonzaga not have to visit every super far eastern team every year. Can't do 22 conference games. However, divisions would only create 16 conference games if it was done in a traditional way. I don't think the BE wants to go from 20 to 16 conference games. So do they do traditional and then rotate teams in the other division you play twice every year?
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Do you guys think if it was only Gonzaga that they would do a western and eastern division? I tend to think so, and that would help Gonzaga not have to visit every super far eastern team every year. Can't do 22 conference games. However, divisions would only create 16 conference games if it was done in a traditional way. I don't think the BE wants to go from 20 to 16 conference games. So do they do traditional and then rotate teams in the other division you play twice every year?
    Once you are on a plane, how much of a difference is Cincinnati and DC?
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there壇 be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    An hour. 2 round trip. Again, it's still easier than all the non-revenue sports already who have to fly commercial if they need to make a connection. Flying private changes the game. But if Gonzaga wants to bing along the non-revenue sports, then it gets pretty tough.

Would their conference let them keep other sports in and take BB only to the BE?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    It isn't the amount of extra time its the amount of extra trips.

Even on a private plane, a Wednesday game @ St. Johns, followed by a Saturday game @ Seton Hall is tough for a program coming from that far west.

Again, it's their issue, not the BE's or the other BE teams.

Even still, you can't do a round robin, so divisions seem to make sense, I am just wondering what an alternative to that is. Do the other larger conferences all have divisions? If not, what do they do, anyone know?
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    It isn't the amount of extra time its the amount of extra trips.

Even on a private plane, a Wednesday game @ St. Johns, followed by a Saturday game @ Seton Hall is tough for a program coming from that far west.
    I'm not sure why that's so tough. The kids miss a lot of school, but the travel itself isn't too bad. You wouldn't go home in between those two.

Sophomore
    I’m not a fan of adding Gonzaga and when the BE was 10 teams I was in favor of expansion for only 3 candidates:

UCONN, Notre Dane and Kansas

We got UCONN and I’m happy with 11 but I’d be fine going to 12 only if we can add in either Kansas or Notre Dame. Both are likely pipe dreams but that’s what they said about UCONN.

http://https://www.anonymouseagle.co...llege-football

I thought I saw DePaul in the transfer portal looking to go out West. If that happens, then Gonzaga might fill in nicely... LOL
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I'm not sure why that's so tough. The kids miss a lot of school, but the travel itself isn't too bad. You wouldn't go home in between those two.
    Ok so there it is, they wouldn't go home. That makes total sense for professional teams, I didn't know how routine that was for colleges. I bet not that routine but maybe I am wrong. What if it is a Tuesday/Saturday game? I get they miss a lot of school, so I am not trying to be pearl clutching about that, just seems tough.

But again, their problem. My bigger question is how they will schedule conference games. No matter what they decide divisions or not, every BE team can't play every BE team twice

Again, on the travel, no one thinks twice about Bellarmine being in the Atlantic Sun. Literally, no one thinks twice about it, because they don't care! But seriously, I guarantee their baseball team is taking a bus to every road series.

Louisville to Gardner-Webb: 6 hours, 27 minutes
    Louisville to SEMO: 4 hours, 22 minutes
    Louisville to Presbyterian: 6 hours, 49 minutes
    Louisville to Jacksonville State: 6 hours, 28 minutes
    Louisville to Central Arkansas: 8 hours, 21 minutes
    Louisville to North Alabama: 5 hours, 8 minutes

And those are all car times. With a bus, you know you are adding time.

Again, with the non-revenue sports aboard, it really doesn't work. But if you're only talking about flying the basketball teams around on chartered jets, the travel burden would not be at all outside the norm for colllege sports.