Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I wonder how much Thad has left in the tank? I guess we will find out. He's only 54 and plenty of coaches have coached much older than that, however Butler is a program that you have to really sell to recruits. It's a job that takes energy and probably requires direct recruiting on his part to land players.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by CP05XU08CU13 View Post
    Could not agree more. My guess is that Christopher put out feelers to both Miller’s and Marta’s camps, but Matta did not express any interest. His family ties to Butler is what swayed him in the end it sounds like.
    I think the word Christopher was hearing was that Sean wanted the job if available (and he not have a job), which kind of forced Our AD’s hand to go all-in on Sean, if we were at all interested. Both Matta and Miller are exceptional hires in terms of their coaching abilities. I think Sean was both a perfect fit and the safer fit for X because he expressed that he really wanted the job and he is not having back and leg issue (which have really made things hard on Thad as a coach).

You just never know if after a year or two, the job becomes too physically challenging for Thad’s body and he decides he needs to walk away. With Miller, there is the concern with suspension to worry about, but you’ve got to feel pretty good both with the fact he wants to be here for the long haul and he doesn’t have the health issues that would change that feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by CP05XU08CU13 View Post
    Could not agree more. My guess is that Christopher put out feelers to both Miller’s and Marta’s camps, but Matta did not express any interest. His family ties to Butler is what swayed him in the end it sounds like.
    Matta literally lives across the street from AD Barry Collier.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Miller 422–156 (.730) vs Matta 439-154 (.740)

Matta has 6 Sweet 16's appearances . Miller has 7 Sweet 16's.

Matta 3 Elite 8's 1 Final 4

Miller 4 Elite 8's.
    Matta - 2 final fours, made it one championship game and lost.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    I don’t know if Gillan was X’s best coach but there were definitely aspects of the program under him that I really liked.
    He absolutely deserves to be in the conversation when the topic of “best X coach” is being discussed. He put X on the map. For that reason, he is arguably X’s most important Coach. The best coach is debatable. At least 4 past X coaches having some supporting evidence as to why they ought to be in the conversion for “best X Coach.”

I am ecstatic to have Sean back. I would love nothing more than for him to get X to a few Final Fours and even win a few national championship and cement his fate as Xavier’s GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by JEHARDI View Post
    Matta - 2 final fours, made it one championship game and lost.
    2007 and 2012 were his 2 Final 4 appearance.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    I wonder how much Thad has left in the tank? I guess we will find out. He's only 54 and plenty of coaches have coached much older than that, however Butler is a program that you have to really sell to recruits. It's a job that takes energy and probably requires direct recruiting on his part to land players.
    Miller is I believe 53. Are counting Matta’s health issue at OH State as the difference?
    Last edited by Olsingledigit; 04-03-2022 at 06:31 PM.

I was surprised to see Matta is only about one year older than Sean. I wish him well in terms of his health, but it seemed to age him. I hope he survives the grind.

Sophomore
    Let’s say 5 or even six BE teams make the NCAA each year. That means somewhere around 5 coaches (some teams will go in and out of the tournament from year to year) of the current eleven will be in jeopardy of losing their job in the next five years. Who are the likely suspects. Go five deep.
    Last edited by Olsingledigit; 04-03-2022 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olsingledigit View Post
    Let’s say 5 or even six BE teams make the NCAA each year. That means somewhere around 5 coaches (some teams will go in and out of the tournament from year to year) of the current eleven will be in jeopardy of losing their job in the next five years. Who are the likely suspects. Go five deep.

I agree . This is the first thing I thought of when Butler hired Matta .

Next season, some excellent coaches will be on the outside looking in(NCAA Tourney) for the first time in a long time.

I am guessing Matta and others are in for some growing pains.

To prevent X being a loser, Miller will need to stock the transfer and frosh market with all stars.