A heartfelt thank you

It was 1982, my mom had remarried and my new step-dad took me to my first Xavier game in Schmidt Fieldhouse against Union, KY. I was hooked. It became our thing. Every year. For decades. Even during my ten years in the army, I made it home every year for at least one game. Except one season. The first in the A10. The only losing season since I started going. I still think it's my fault. LOL. A few years ago he could no longer make it to the games, so I purchased my own season tickets and took my kids to the games. It was perfect. Until it wasn't. I was ready to pack it in and stop what had been part of my life for 40 years. I could not watch what I was seeing for another season. Then the administration went full tilt in making a hard decision that has excited me more about Xavier basketball than any player or victory before. So THANK YOU Xavier. Thank you for your vision and your desire to go all in when the pressure was high. You'll get my money soon and I'm happy to give it. Let's go X and welcome home coach!
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    It was 1982, my mom had remarried and my new step-dad took me to my first Xavier game in Schmidt Fieldhouse against Union, KY. I was hooked. It became our thing. Every year. For decades. Even during my ten years in the army, I made it home every year for at least one game. Except one season. The first in the A10. The only losing season since I started going. I still think it's my fault. LOL. A few years ago he could no longer make it to the games, so I purchased my own season tickets and took my kids to the games. It was perfect. Until it wasn't. I was ready to pack it in and stop what had been part of my life for 40 years. I could not watch what I was seeing for another season. Then the administration went full tilt in making a hard decision that has excited me more about Xavier basketball than any player or victory before. So THANK YOU Xavier. Thank you for your vision and your desire to go all in when the pressure was high. You'll get my money soon and I'm happy to give it. Let's go X and welcome home coach!
    Good memories. I was only 3-5 years old approximately in 1978 or 1979 when my father took me to Schmidt fieldhouse and I fell in love when I heard the announcer announce guard Keith Walker who scored or had 8 assists. From that point on I was hooked.
    Great players, great drama, great villains.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Good memories. I was only 3-5 years old approximately in 1978 or 1979 when my father took me to Schmidt fieldhouse and I fell in love when I heard the announcer announce guard Keith Walker who scored or had 8 assists. From that point on I was hooked.
    Great players, great drama, great villains.
    Oh, Lordy! I had some Keith Walker experiences. Great guy, and and we had some great times together!

Freshman
    Gratitude is the Greatest of all Virtues. Thank You for that Reminder!

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Awesome post and memories.

I too am thankful to X for their commitment to something all of us on this site love dearly.

My memories of going to games starts in the mid 90's around 9-10. I may have gone earlier but do not remember those well. I was 14 when Cintas opened and my parents upgraded to 4 seats so I have missed very few games most years since then (was away for college for 6 years but still made several over breaks).

Can't wait for Sean Miller era part II to begin!
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 03-28-2022 at 09:08 PM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I was at X in the mid-late 1970’s. Because of other commitments I rarely got to attend a basketball game in person while,I was in school, but I listened whenever I could and always read the write up in the paper the next day. After graduation I worked out of town for a few years and considering the lack of TV coverage and hardly being able to catch a game on the radio, I was still relying on newspaper articles and scores in the sport pages. Move forward a few years and I was bsck in town but because of work schedules I rarely could catch a game in person, but I could now follow on radio. A few years of that and my work schedule changed to a point where I could count on being off most evenings and I got season tickets. I could finally watch in person. All was good for a few years, but then the kids started growing up and getting into activities of their own. The season tickets were stopped after one last year when Cintas opened. There just were to many mid week games against directional schools that I skipped because of kids scouting, soccer, bb, etc. I just couldn’t see spending all that money on tickets for myself, my wife, and 2 kids that we couldn’t use. I gave many away to people that I worked with. But I still rarely missed a game on TV or radio. It’s still that way till this day. This past season I did something I had never done before. I turned off a couple of games before they over. I got to a point where I had no interest in watching the NIT opening game. Then the change happened. Now I can’t wait to watch tomorrow night and watch X bring home a championship a few days later. I’m excited to see what happens with the staff and the roster, and most importantly what happens out on the court next year. Thank you Xavier BB for being one of the longest and most consistent pleasures in my life.

Going back to when Bob “Cobra” Quick had the greatest back to back Xavier games ever vs Marquette and Clifton Community College (40 pts each?) in two fantastic wins in 1968.
    Musketette Grad daughter and I had decided to drop our long term Seasons assuming Coach NIT was back.
    U turn. Renewed yesterday. Can’t believe that X didn’t raise prices.
    Welcome fully to the Big Time now.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell