Page 68 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Personally, I am loving the chaos the NCAA has brought upon themselves. You see, for me the status quo was the problem. College basketball is literally worth billions a year and the main drivers of this are unpaid. Now you can mince words about the value of a scholarship, but unless dollars are in your bank you aren't being paid imo.

If the NCAA had a shred of courage they would've adapted and found a compromise so that the student athletes would be well compensated while also maintaining the traditions (transfer chaos, NIL embarrassment are killing the reputation of the game). But they weren't, and instead chose to stick their head in the ground and pinch every penny they could.
    Last edited by Drew; 04-29-2022 at 09:36 AM.

Hearing we have a PG commit coming out of the Portal plus one we are close on as a recruit, but the “recruit” name I’ve heard seems to be a duplicate of Des Claude, so I’m not so sure about that. No names please, but I have an idea.
    And I'm not sure if Steele could have handled this NIL recruiting world. He has zero International connections and was only domestic. Most of the International talent just cares about getting to the US and not worried *Yet* about NIL stuff. Sean is much better equipped to mine that vein.
    It’s a whole new world.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 04-29-2022 at 09:53 AM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    I may be part of the 'get off my lawn' crowd, but this shit makes me much less interested in college sports in general.
    Yup. Ultimately fan interest, or lack of it, will determine how deep this permeates into college basketball. So far, NIL is taking over SEC football and there doesn't appear to be backlash from disgusted fans. But, players trying to re-negotiate deals, agent involvement, wide-spread free agency, rich getting richer......this will kill my interest even as many others are O.K. with it. The train has left the station so we shall see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    I think this is spot on. And to add insult to injury what happens when dirty money is introduced into the NIL arena (and I’m sure it probably already has)? Do NIL sponsors ultimately have more control over the players than the coaches and schools and, if so, what are the associated ramifications? A lot of these player’s families are dirt poor. I can see parents openly and aggressively trying to leverage their sons for a payday today. That’s a real healthy environment/relationship.
    Yeah. This all seems bad in the long run, particularly for Xavier-type programs who don't have ultra deep pockets and billionaire alum. I am in favor of players being paid, but the way this is happening is kind of a shit show. Annual bidding wars for transfers, etc. it's going to add a lot of uncertainty.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Yeah. This all seems bad in the long run, particularly for Xavier-type programs who don't have ultra deep pockets and billionaire alum. I am in favor of players being paid, but the way this is happening is kind of a shit show. Annual bidding wars for transfers, etc. it's going to add a lot of uncertainty.
    International is the answer. (See Gonzaga)
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    International is the answer. (See Gonzaga)

International is not the answer. It is an accelerant. Gonzaga, St. Mary’s and Utah have had success recruiting internationally because the top European basketball clubs have a “ win now” perspective and developing young players is costly . Thus, the young players see a better economic opportunity in America . And this flow will be accelerated with the NIL opportunities for the top European players. And the more “ paid” players you bring into college basketball the changes on the horizon will also accelerate.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Personally, I am loving the chaos the NCAA has brought upon themselves. You see, for me the status quo was the problem. College basketball is literally worth billions a year and the main drivers of this are unpaid. Now you can mince words about the value of a scholarship, but unless dollars are in your bank you aren't being paid imo.

If the NCAA had a shred of courage they would've adapted and found a compromise so that the student athletes would be well compensated while also maintaining the traditions (transfer chaos, NIL embarrassment are killing the reputation of the game). But they weren't, and instead chose to stick their head in the ground and pinch every penny they could.
    All of this is true. The NCAA ‘s pot of gold is the sale of broadcast rights. The Big East pot of gold is broadcast rights. The lawyers and agents will mine that gold. Why should the players not receive a piece of that? Once you open the door to the players monetizing their contributions to revenue creation there is nothing that will be beyond the reach of the players. Why do you need an NCAA ? After Congress, state legislature, federal and state courts all create a new landscape for college athletics, there will be nothing left for the NCAA to govern since their governing power will be subsumed.

Junior
    Tell that to the millions of people, myself included, who spent 10 years paying off student loans. Not everyone was born with a silver spoon in their mouth, and certainly not the bulk of D1 athletes.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Tell that to the millions of people, myself included, who spent 10 years paying off student loans. Not everyone was born with a silver spoon in their mouth, and certainly not the bulk of D1 athletes.
    Cry more.

Well that's the driving force beyond this whole thing right, the NCAA's incompetence? At least I think so, can't think of a worse run organization. The NCAA wasn't proactive, or progressive thinking enough in a world that's rapidly changing and the leadership was poor and looked so damn incompetent. The horror stories of rejecting/accepting waivers seemingly at random, the varying degrees of punishment for schools (slap on the wrist for the big guys, but let's punish the living hell out of Mizzou for self-reporting), etc. I'm with you in that the NCAA completely brought this upon themselves, and honestly probably is a bit deserved.