Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sophomore

A sad day for Xavier

We got what much of the fan base wanted, which was a change.

At the same time, it's still an incredible bummer that the Steele era ended this way. Steele has been at Xavier a long time, was an instrumental part of some of our biggest successes, and was the coach the fanbase wanted after Mack. I think every Xavier fan wanted it to work out for him, and it really sucks it didn't.

Don't get me wrong, I support the move, but I'll also be appreciative for what he brought to the program over his decade plus here.

At least we'll always have him throwing down thousands at Dana's after drilling UC year after year, perhaps his truly memorable high point as a coach.

Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

This will forever leave an indelible stain on the long and storied tradition of Xavier Basketball. It is a bit hard to get excited but glad that particular inevitability is behind us.

The negative ramifications of the Travisty are far from over.

A sad day indeed.
    Last edited by UCGRAD4X; 03-16-2022 at 01:04 PM.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

It means the administration isn't OK with mediocre and that's a good thing.
    Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote Originally Posted by murray87 View Post
    High standards are back For X.

Quote Originally Posted by murray87 View Post
    High standards are back For X.

All-Conference
    I'm not sad.

Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    We got what much of the fan base wanted, which was a change.

At the same time, it's still an incredible bummer that the Steele era ended this way. Steele has been at Xavier a long time, was an instrumental part of some of our biggest successes, and was the coach the fanbase wanted after Mack. I think every Xavier fan wanted it to work out for him, and it really sucks it didn't.

Don't get me wrong, I support the move, but I'll also be appreciative for what he brought to the program over his decade plus here.

At least we'll always have him throwing down thousands at Dana's after drilling UC year after year, perhaps his truly memorable high point as a coach.
    Agree that it would have been great if Travis had been able to show he could do more and be the next X coach to keep The X brand humming. After 4 years of not making the Tournament, this decision had to happen. The expectation are the expectations. He is a nice guy and he has done alot for the program (particularly in recruiting). He certainly deserves our gratitude.

I'll be the contrarian.
    Would have liked to have seen him get another year; understand that would have been hard on recruiting with no contract extension.
    But he's coached, as K did, with limited success in 4 years, hampered by Covid (and yes, I know everyone was).
    Just think he might have done better next year.
    Perhaps the current roster is not quite as good as we all think, and it showed throughout the stretch.
    Can't deny the late session slides. But pretending we're all better coaches for in-game decisions seems like a lot of hubris.

Wish him well and hope he lands a good job somewhere.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Freshman
    It is a sad day because a man lost his dream job in a very public forum. He will have to move to a new city and start over again. This impacts his wife and his family and this will probably haunt him for life. That being said, it is the gig he signed up for and he knew full well that this stuff can happen. Wish it had worked out better for him and for X, but it is what it is. From all of us to one of us: Good luck and God speed, Coach Steele!!

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I'll be the contrarian.
    Would have liked to have seen him get another year; understand that would have been hard on recruiting with no contract extension.
    But he's coached, as K did, with limited success in 4 years, hampered by Covid (and yes, I know everyone was).
    Just think he might have done better next year.
    Perhaps the current roster is not quite as good as we all think, and it showed throughout the stretch.
    Can't deny the late session slides. But pretending we're all better coaches for in-game decisions seems like a lot of hubris.

Wish him well and hope he lands a good job somewhere.
    Part of coaching is making what you have work. Adjusting your system to the talent on hand. You can't keep trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.