Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast
    Sophomore

2022-2023 Xavier Basketball

Regardless of who's leading them, it's hard to see this team getting to the tournament after losing our most capable three-point shooter and one of our only playmakers (love him or hate him).

Returning players (in order of most likely to contribute)

Nunge
    Jones
    Freemantle
    Odom
    Kunkel
    Edwards
    Hunter
    Stanley
    Miles
    Tandy (?)

Incoming:
    Ward
    Craft
    Claude

This team will have a strong frontcourt but outside of that, I'm not sure what all we will do well. Our defense takes a hit, and for a program (under Steele) historically near the bottom third in the country in outside shooting, we will rely heavily on Kunkel (and Tandy?) and Nunge for shooting. Not sure that Edwards/Stanley see any more time than they did this year unless Hunter moves to the 3, where we have Jones and our highest incoming recruit.

Biggest need would have to be a transfer guard who can shoot and play D, in the Johnson mold I guess?

Not feeling great about that group winning many games

Supporting Member
    Only players I want coming back are nunge, jones, Odom, Edwards and Tandy. And maybe miles.

The rest I could care less what they do. At the end of the day, none of it matters if Steele is retained. He’s a terrible head coach and hed probably fuck up the 96 bulls. If he’s not, the coach will probably clean out most of the roster and fill out thru the transfer portal as a stop gap.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    Regardless of who's leading them, it's hard to see this team getting to the tournament after losing our most capable three-point shooter and one of our only playmakers (love him or hate him).

Nunge
    Jones
    Freemantle
    Odom
    Kunkel
    Edwards
    Hunter
    Stanley
    Miles
    Tandy (?)

Incoming:
    Ward
    Craft
    Claude

This team will have a strong frontcourt but outside of that, I'm not sure what all we will do well. Our defense takes a hit, and for a program (under Steele) historically near the bottom third in the country in outside shooting, we will rely heavily on Kunkel (and Tandy?) and Nunge for shooting. Not sure that Edwards/Stanley see any more time than they did this year unless Hunter moves to the 3, where we have Jones and our highest incoming recruit.

Biggest need would have to be a transfer guard who can shoot and play D, in the Johnson mold I guess?

On paper decent team but we are a long way from seeing that team.. God only knows who will leave after this year.

Well Miller will have this team in the top 25 by mid season. This team is talented and a great coach will get them in shape.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Supporting Member
    Plus Tucker. If all return/stay committed, I can coach this team to the NCAA tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Only players I want coming back are nunge, jones, Odom, Edwards and Tandy. And maybe miles.

The rest I could care less what they do. At the end of the day, none of it matters if Steele is retained. HeÂ’s a terrible head coach and hed probably fuck up the 96 bulls. If heÂ’s not, the coach will probably clean out most of the roster and fill out thru the transfer portal as a stop gap.
    I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but I was told there would be transfer portal entries after the season and the program knows they are coming. Some are major names and some not. I won't reveal names of whom I was would definitely leave, but this has to factor into just starting from scratch.

Could definitely do without Ryan welage part 2 aka kunkel.

All-Conference
    I predict Miles and Kunkel look to transfer. Also wouldn't surprise me if Nunge plays overseas or moves on with life.

I really hope the young guys can shoot, because that problems doesn't go away unless Steele actually plays them.

Need a true heart to heart with Hunter - perhaps this isn't the best place for him.

If Steele stays, I don't expect much difference. If he goes, who knows what happens.

My point being that the roster may be more depleted than people think next year. So relying on freshman and transfers with Steele next season won't be good thing. Those freshman 1 or 2 will look to transfer anyway after another abysmal season and roster. I say pull the bandaid and blow it up before it's too late.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post

Nunge
    Jones
    Freemantle
    Odom
    Kunkel
    Edwards
    Hunter
    Stanley
    Miles
    Tandy (?)

Incoming:
    Ward
    Craft
    Claude

We need shooters and PG and maybe even a big guy. Need a lot.

Think how rejuvenating it would be to have Miller running things next year though.

Time for a change.

#SaveTheProgram
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 03-10-2022 at 12:04 AM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17