Sophomore

Regular season wins and losses are the most overrated stat in sports

It's March! After we roll Saturday, we get some tournament basketball, and anything can happen! SWAGGER!

If we win the next two games (favored in both) we will be in the NCAA tournament, which was a goal. We've seen this team play really well at times (UCONN?), and maybe we're saving the first complete game for when it matters most.

On the other hand, I'm not loving the body language and flow from our guys. I think we all know how this is gonna go, given that we've been in the "we just need one more win in the BE tourney" boat just about every season lately. But...you never know?

Junior
    Post season results is all that gets remembered unless two things happen. You have an unreal regular season (Big East Champs, 1/2 seed) or even more rare- what we see now. I don’t know that a wild, lucky sweet 16 run would wash away the stink Steele has right now. It will take more for me to forget the regular season and have renewed confidence in the direction of the program.

I’d obviously take a sweet 16 run…but this is one of few circumstances where I’d rather have had a good regular season (3rd in big East) and an upset loss in tournament than the season we have now and a sweet 16 run. I need confidence steele can coach in the big East and a fluke tournament run won’t give me that….unless it’s like, elite 8 run.

Regular season record might be overrated. The NCAA is always going to be the ultimate benchmark for success (Conference Tourney a distant second, Conference season further removed and OOC barely moves the needle).

The only fly in the ointment is that this team has been absolutely miserable to watch and follow for a good part of the season, especially into conference and then worse, down the stretch. To spend all season watching this train wreck in slow motion has been excruciating. It has taken the enjoyment and enthusiasm - and likely a lot of support - out of even the most faithful. The fair weather and the fringe have melted away.

Its always fun until someone puts an eye out. I have felt like gouging mine out for quite a while now.

A year's worth of that is barely tolerable or acceptable. Two in intolerable and completely unacceptable. Three years is beyond the pale.

It's been for years.

An absolute TRAVISTRY!
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Ask Wayne Tinkle and Oregon State how their Elite 8 run from last year is working out now.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Regular season record might be overrated. The NCAA is always going to be the ultimate benchmark for success (Conference Tourney a distant second). Conference season further removed and OOC barely moves the needle.

The only fly in the ointment is that this team has been absolutely miserable to watch and follow for a good part of the season, especially into conference and then worse, down the stretch. To spend all season watching this train wreck in slow motion has been excruciating. It has taken the enjoyment and enthusiasm - and likely a lot of support - out of even the most faithful. The fair weather and the fringe have melted away.

Its always fun until someone puts an eye out. I have felt like gouging mine out for quite a while now.

A year's worth of that is barely tolerable or acceptable. Two in intolerable and completely unacceptable. Three years is beyond the pale.

It's been for years. An absolute TRAVISTRY!
    At least in Year 1, there were signs of improvement late in the year - had they gotten hot 2 weeks earlier than they did, maybe they would have cracked the 2019 field. The last 3 years have been brutal.

What you do during the regular season is kind of important. Just a little bit. In fact I suspect that the reason for concern amongst many of the Xavier fans is due to not winning enough games during the regular season. When 358 teams are fighting for 68 spots, that's actually a smaller percentage of teams than what make the MLB, NFL, or NBA playoffs. By quite a bit. You need to win during the regular season, and you need to win games against good teams.

Now, if you've pissed away a shot at the tournament and your only way to get in is to win the auto, then sure!! The regular season doesn't matter!! We are just ten wins away from winning it all!! LET'S GO!!!!!
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I thought the halftime score was the most over rated stat in sports. That is what the wise Travis Steele would have you believe.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"