Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Havent read anything yet but.....SO. FREAKING. FRUSTRATING.

Why the continued slow starts? Why do we always have to come back from double digits? Why can't Steele get these guys going?

Quotes from Steele tonight:

"Our guys played really hard. We really competed."

"We got the shots we wanted."

"We gotta keep swinging. Gotta have amnesia."

Steele was generally happy with the play tonight and thought we had some tough luck with shots that didn't go (that never go FYI) and that Providence made some really tough ones.

At what point is it no longer unlucky for us and lucky for the other team? UGH.

I am not a fire Steele guy after every loss, however, if we collapse again and don't make the tournament, he has got to go. It needs to be considered even if we limp down the stretch and barely make it and lose first round. Imagine a play in loss. The would be miserable.

I get we are safely in now, but if we can't win our home games against good competition, nothing is getting any easier.

What a frustrating loss in a have to have game.

UGH
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

The box score is a mirror image except the 3 point shooting percentage. How we get cleaner looks I don't know. I know people don't want Zach shooting 3's, but he and Colby need to hit some.

Sophomore
    Feeling a lot Steele hate on this thread and I'm not sure the data actually backs that up.

Our record under Steele honestly isn't that bad once you factor in all these moral victories.

#DanceorDepart

Ok. I never really meant die in the expire sense but if no Tournament he can just depart.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I mean Steele is now 40-42 in non Buy games.
    Steele only REACTS to adversity. He doesn’t do anything to proactively affect the game. We fell behind so THEN HE REACTS with a 2-3 zone that brought us back in the first half and cut off their drives. We saw none of it in the second half so they started driving again which cost us buckets at the end. Does he ever consider putting on a press for a couple of possessions to speed the game up? That sure may have woken the sleepy team up in the first half. Why not call a TO and put and press them to get some energy going But Nope. Just sits back and takes what Ed Cooley gives him.
    And this is the umpteenth game where his only game ending play is Scruggs driving to the basket. Run a damn play!! Jack Nunge, the best AND TALLEST player on the court did not get a touch on the last offensive play.
    The slope is getting slippery
    All I’m saying is whatever he did or didn’t do to change things up down 14, it brought X back and up 2 with a minute left. I am with you though, only so many wide open baseline layups I can watch without hoping for a zone. If we aren’t going to bring help defense at all (Nunge had a few solid helps in the 2nd half….it could just be another Freemantle sucks at D situation) then move to zone. Feel like we see at least four uncontested layups a game in our half court defense.

But add Providence to the list of teams in the big east that is stronger and tougher than X.

Steele record is awful. First losing conference record in decades first time missing the damce 3 years in a row soon to be 4 , in decades. He is awful awful awful. Anything short of a round of 32 and he shouldn't even return to Cincinnati. We as a message board can pack up his stuff and send it to him. Shaka smart in his first year has turned around Marquette. Steele has 20 year veterans on his team and can't win. We need at least 6 or 7 wins to make dance. Tell me where we will get them? Butler, DePaul, St. John's , Gtown , hall. I got 5 wins tops. 19 wins is NIT which They better turn down
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    All I’m saying is whatever he did or didn’t do to change things up down 14, it brought X back and up 2 with a minute left. I am with you though, only so many wide open baseline layups I can watch without hoping for a zone. If we aren’t going to bring help defense at all (Nunge had a few solid helps in the 2nd half….it could just be another Freemantle sucks at D situation) then move to zone. Feel like we see at least four uncontested layups a game in our half court defense.

But add Providence to the list of teams in the big east that is stronger and tougher than X.
    Getting to “down 14” in the first place is a problem. I’m not being argumentative.

It’s our building, and we continue to fail to dictate the style of play.
    X A V I E R

Right now, we stink. The key to the rest of the season is to figure out how to stink less. Deep, I know.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Maybe our guys are just on the downside of their career. I mean half our team is in their 40's.
    LOL. The really sucky thing is, this year feels like the peak of a roster build. No idea who is actually going to come back next year, nor who may transfer in. Regardless, next year feels like a rebuild. Bleh.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    LOL. The really sucky thing is, this year feels like the peak of a roster build. No idea who is actually going to come back next year, nor who may transfer in. Regardless, next year feels like a rebuild. Bleh.
    Scruggs and Johnson are the only players who will use up all of their eligibility this year. Everyone else can return. I would suspect that any, or all, of these three players will transfer out.....Tandy, Miles, Stanley. But, X has 3 top 100 ranked/4 Star freshmen coming in next year. Tucker will also be available.

I don't see it as a rebuild. I actually think that if they can add a real power big into the mix via transfer it will be a better roster.

The problem last night was that all of the "great" outside shooters that X is said to have, didn't show up. X has several "streak" shooters. If two of them are hot, they can score with anyone. But for several games now, that has not been the case. There's not one player on the current roster that we can point to and know that they are a truly consistently great shooter. I'm hopeful that one or more of the Freshman coming in can solve that problem. X has consistently for the last 3-4 years been a bad 3-point shooting team. When the coach's offense rest on the need for good outside shooting, and it doesn't happen, you have a team that struggles to score.....need I say more?

The problem other nights has been that they got pushed around inside by bigger and stronger front lines. I was truly surprised and thrilled when X started Nunge and Free together last night. Watson, who I was really scared would dominate, was basically a non-factor in the game. But when they took one of those two players out, X got beat up inside by the guards driving and getting layups. They need another good big player to rotate with Nunge and Free. Miles and Stanley are not the answer there. I'm hopeful that X can find a solution that problem in a transfer or from development by Edwards or Tucker, (but I'm not super confident based on past history).

Now if they can just get a coach that has a system that can put them all together into a TEAM...........