Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    This is very telling.

Since we joined the Big East, our non-conference schedule hasn't been as good (not saying that's good or bad, as most big conference schools don't need a super tough non-conference schedule). This has caused us to over-hype our teams coming out of non-conference play.

All of Steele's seasons have seen a somewhat drastic or very drastic sentiment of "what the hell happened to us" - the reality is that his teams aren't built to be Big East ready. The reality is that we hope to hang on just enough in conference to punch a ticket. The problem is, The Beast is a very tough conference where you can't do that. It's a top 3 conference in the country.

We need a re-evaluation of how these teams are put together, a new offensive philosophy and a re-emphasis on Xavier's identity as a program. Otherwise, we will continue to trend around the middle.

So a new coach then?

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    [/B]

So a new coach then?
    If he's not willing and is too stubborn to admit his way is producing underachievement, then yes. I don't know there's another solution if he continues to double down on things that simply are keeping his teams very average.

As I've said a million times, I'm convinced he painted a picture of what we "should" be to get this job - pulled out the new stretch offense philosophy as his main selling point, and he's willing to go down with the ship to prove it right.
    Last edited by drudy23; 01-23-2022 at 05:17 PM.

Sophomore
    If he's not willing and is too stubborn to admit his way is producing underachievement, then yes. I don't know there's another solution if he continues to double down on things that simply are keeping his teams very average.
    Steele hasn’t changed in almost 4 years and I don’t see him changing anytime soon. The proof is in his recruiting and how his team plays. We can bash Steele all we want but he is going to get an extension this off-season whether we like it or not. He will sneak into the NCAA tournament this season which will be seen as an improvement which will cause him to get an extension. We are stuck with Steele whether you like it or not. Might as well get behind him and the team.

All-Conference
    Steele hasn’t changed in almost 4 years and I don’t see him changing anytime soon. The proof is in his recruiting and how his team plays. We can bash Steele all we want but he is going to get an extension this off-season whether we like it or not. He will sneak into the NCAA tournament this season which will be seen as an improvement which will cause him to get an extension. We are stuck with Steele whether you like it or not. Might as well get behind him and the team.
    You're probably right, but I think that's a mistake.

I am behind the team - always have been, always will.

But something is amiss.
    Last edited by drudy23; 01-23-2022 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I see the same crap this year as we've seen the last 3.

1. Poor offensive execution
    2. Playing some guys way more minutes than they should be getting
    3. Letting certain players take shots they have no business taking
    4. Not getting certain players the shots we need in crucial situations
    5. A bend but don't break defensive scheme that doesn't create turnovers and easy baskets nearly as much as we need it to

Other than that, Im good.

I see another close to .500 conference record and the need to go on a deep tourney run to secure a comfortable bid. Otherwise it will be more nail biting on Sunday
    Yep. It’s Groundhogs Day alright. Bill Murray finally figured out what he needed to do to get a different result. Will Steele?
    Last edited by IM4X; 01-23-2022 at 05:31 PM.

Sophomore
    Thank God we won the home game against Marquette..they have improved since then to be sure.

Supporting Member
    This to me is the worst case scenario and yeah I think this is exactly what’s going to happen. I love x, and love basketball but Steele has slowly zapped my enthusiasm for Xavier basketball. I don’t agree with his philosophy…I think it would be fine in the A10, but this is grown up basketball.

I have tickets for three more home games this year and though I’m excited to go to the games, my enthusiasm is certainly not what it was a few years ago.

I hope I’m absolutely wrong and in two years steele will be taking the team to a final four, but I don’t see it, unless he suddenly changes in the players he is getting. Recruiting class looks great on paper next year but without an improvement in the frontcourt, it’s going to look the exact same year after year
    Last edited by Xville; 01-23-2022 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    This to me is the worst case scenario and yeah I think this is exactly what’s going to happen. I love x, and love basketball but Steele has slowly zapped my enthusiasm for Xavier basketball. I don’t agree with his philosophy…I think it would be fine in the A10, but this is grown up basketball.

I have tickets for three more home games this year and though I’m excited to go to the games, my enthusiasm is certainly not what it was a few years ago.

I hope I’m absolutely wrong and in two years steele will be taking the team to a final four, but I don’t see it, unless he suddenly changes in the players he is getting. Recruiting class looks great on paper next year but without an improvement in the frontcourt, it’s going to look the exact same year after year
    I feel the exact same way. I have zero belief that Travis can take Xavier to a Final Four - that belief has zapped my enthusiasm as well.

I hope I’m wrong but I doubt it.

This is very telling.

Since we joined the Big East, our non-conference schedule hasn't been as good (not saying that's good or bad, as most big conference schools don't need a super tough non-conference schedule). This has caused us to over-hype our teams coming out of non-conference play.

All of Steele's seasons have seen a somewhat drastic or very drastic sentiment of "what the hell happened to us" - the reality is that his teams aren't built to be Big East ready. The reality is that we hope to hang on just enough in conference to punch a ticket. The problem is, The Beast is a very tough conference where you can't do that. It's a top 3 conference in the country.

We need a re-evaluation of how these teams are put together, a new offensive philosophy and a re-emphasis on Xavier's identity as a program. Otherwise, we will continue to trend around the middle of the Big East.
    I don't care how good our recruiting class is next year, if you cant coach them it doesn't really matter
    Last edited by bleedXblue; 01-23-2022 at 06:12 PM.

Steele is our Brian Gregory. His UD teams always did well OOC, but always ended up around .500 in conference play.