Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jay Wright

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Watch UConn some time.
    God, yes. Hurley is Cronin level

Freshman
    Agree, Hurley is the biggest whiner in the league. J.W. Really works the refs in league play and seems to get the calls.
    You can't spell sUCks without UC!

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonman View Post
    I’ve been disappointed he hasn’t been wearing the suits lately.

Also, I believe McDermott works the refs harder,or at least whines more to the refs.
    I don’t think I’ve seen anyone work the refs more throughout a game than McDermott does, but I’ve seen at least a handful of coaches who whine even more.
    Last edited by IM4X; 01-17-2022 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    That's why I said, "Now I know that this is part of the game"
    Yes. I saw that. But you hate Huggins and YTG. And they share this trait with Jay. So maybe why you hate those guys is for a different reason then why you hate Jay. Maybe you hate those guys because they are unlikable. Maybe you hate Jay for more envious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    I don’t think I’ve seen anyone work the refs more throughout a game than McDermott does, but I’ve seen at least a handful of coaches who whine even more.
    Yes, but notice HOW he works them. He’s usually leaving them with a smile and even a giggle or a laugh. I’ve never seen him look like he was upset or ever get a T. There’s working refs and then there’s working refs. As you point out, there are a lot of coaches that whine, but he doesn’t seem to.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Yes, but notice HOW he works them. He’s usually leaving them with a smile and even a giggle or a laugh. I’ve never seen him look like he was upset or ever get a T. There’s working refs and then there’s working refs. As you point out, there are a lot of coaches that whine, but he doesn’t seem to.
    That’s pretty much what I mean. He comes across as a whiner to the fans of the opposing team, but he is really good at approaching the refs in a non confrontational manner. I understand why so many X fans get annoyed at how often McDermott works the refs throughout a game, but the guy has a gift for getting those refs to listen to his point of view about calls without pissing them off.
    Last edited by IM4X; 01-18-2022 at 07:30 AM.

Freshman
    Did anyone else notice after the singing of the National Anthem by Marlana Van Hoose, the young lady who is blind, that Jay Wright approached her and I’m assuming her mother and spoke with them for a few moments. Classy move.

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    Just putting this out there.

I am not a fan of Jay Wright. He always seems to be working the refs more so than his players. Now I know that this is part of the game but he reminds me of Huggins and the Gnome and it just bothers me. Seems he gets a pass because he wins just like coach K always gets a pass by the media.

That is all. A pet peeve of mine for many years.
    No one works the refs harder than Greg McDermott in this league.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    No one works the refs harder than Greg McDermott in this league.
    Travis could work the refs if he didn't look like a 4th grader.
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Yes. I saw that. But you hate Huggins and YTG. And they share this trait with Jay. So maybe why you hate those guys is for a different reason then why you hate Jay. Maybe you hate those guys because they are unlikable. Maybe you hate Jay for more envious reasons.
    You are correct. Other reasons come into play. JW just reminds me of them. I'll never forget Huggins calling a time out and berating the ref for the entire time out. Never talked to his players once. Then he started getting calls his way. Ugh
    Balls of Steele!!