Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    I mean I'd still take him back here...we haven't even been to the tournament since he's left and he won a BE title here. No coach leaves a job perfectly, that's just the nature of it.
    I'd sooner schedule the Dayton Liars for a home and home than see Mack back here. He quit on us, the team, the fans everyone!

None of these guys ever think that they are going to fail at the next level. In their mind it's Xavier holding them back due to lack of resources, etc.

$3MM is a big chunk for X to break off for Chris Mack. I wonder if we might have regretted that as some point? His recruiting was a little inconsistent and his best teams tended to underperform in key situations (Big East Tournament, NCAA Tournament, and against Villanova). He had 2 pretty improbable runs that really helped his legacy out. I know you can't really play the 'what if' game, but I'm going to anyways.

Here are Chris Mack's 4 deep runs:

2010: Miller's players (Crawford / Lyons / Holloway)
    2012: Sweet 16 by beating 7 seed Notre Dame and 15 seed Lehigh. That team probably wasn't beating a 2 seed.
    2015: Sweet 16 by beating 11 seed Ole Miss and 14 Seed Georgia State. I don't think that team would have likely beaten a 3 seed had Georgia state not pulled off the upset.
    2017: Elite 8 by beating No 6 Maryland, No 3 Florida State, No 2 Arizona. This one was a legit road to the Elite 8.

The first run was Miller's team and the second two Sweet 16 runs we caught an undeniable break due to another upset in our bracket. We still had to win the games, but it's a lot easier to beat a 15 seed than a 2 seed. If those results were normalized, things could have looked a lot different.

2010: Made Sweet 16 with Miller's Team (Crawford / Lyons / Holloway)
    2011: No 6 Xavier lost to No 11 Marquette
    2012: Made tournament won 1 game (most likely scenario)
    2013: Missed NCAA tournament
    2014: Lost in play-in game to NC State
    2015: Made tournament and won 1 game (most likely scenario)
    2016: No. 2 seed lost to Wisconsin in second round
    2017: Legit Elite 8 Run from a team that struggled (11 seed)
    2018: No. 1 seed that lost in second Round.

Mack could have very easily been a coach that had 1 really good run, and blew it with both a 2 seed and a 1 seed in a 3 year span. There was a stretch there from 2011 to 2016 where things looked kind of rough until we got Blueitt. Remember the lauded recruiting class of Canty, Latham, McKenzie, and Martin? We were in the A10 for some of that time too. It could have been a real shit show if we were in the Big East.

That might be some of what we are seeing at Louisville. I'm not sure Mack is a good of a coach as everyone thought he was.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    None of these guys ever think that they are going to fail at the next level. In their mind it's Xavier holding them back due to lack of resources, etc.

$3MM is a big chunk for X to break off for Chris Mack. I wonder if we might have regretted that as some point? His recruiting was a little inconsistent and his best teams tended to underperform in key situations (Big East Tournament, NCAA Tournament, and against Villanova). He had 2 pretty improbable runs that really helped his legacy out. I know you can't really play the 'what if' game, but I'm going to anyways.

Here are Chris Mack's 4 deep runs:

2010: Miller's players (Crawford / Lyons / Holloway)
    2012: Sweet 16 by beating 7 seed Notre Dame and 15 seed Lehigh. That team probably wasn't beating a 2 seed.
    2015: Sweet 16 by beating 11 seed Ole Miss and 14 Seed Georgia State. I don't think that team would have likely beaten a 3 seed had Georgia state not pulled off the upset.
    2017: Elite 8 by beating No 6 Maryland, No 3 Florida State, No 2 Arizona. This one was a legit road to the Elite 8.

The first run was Miller's team and the second two Sweet 16 runs we caught an undeniable break due to another upset in our bracket. We still had to win the games, but it's a lot easier to beat a 15 seed than a 2 seed. If those results were normalized, things could have looked a lot different.

2010: Made Sweet 16 with Miller's Team (Crawford / Lyons / Holloway)
    2011: No 6 Xavier lost to No 11 Marquette
    2012: Made tournament won 1 game (most likely scenario)
    2013: Missed NCAA tournament
    2014: Lost in play-in game to NC State
    2015: Made tournament and won 1 game (most likely scenario)
    2016: No. 2 seed lost to Wisconsin in second round
    2017: Legit Elite 8 Run from a team that struggled (11 seed)
    2018: No. 1 seed that lost in second Round.

Mack could have very easily been a coach that had 1 really good run, and blew it with both a 2 seed and a 1 seed in a 3 year span. There was a stretch there from 2011 to 2016 where things looked kind of rough until we got Blueitt. Remember the lauded recruiting class of Canty, Latham, McKenzie, and Martin? We were in the A10 for some of that time too. It could have been a real shit show if we were in the Big East.

That might be some of what we are seeing at Louisville. I'm not sure Mack is a good of a coach as everyone thought he was.
    AMEN! I have been saying this for years.. he caught some lucky breaks to obtain all those Sweet 16's. Very easily could be looking a coach that rode Crawford to a Sweet 16 and Blueitt to an Elite 8 and thats it.. flip side you could argue by "average performance" the 2016 and 2018 teams should have at least made the Sweet 16.

Junior
    I mean he left to coach Louisville. Xavier isn’t even close in comparison, it was an easy move.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I mean he left to coach Louisville. Xavier isn’t even close in comparison, it was an easy move.
    He's done a great job of helping Xavier close the gap!

Quote Originally Posted by webxu View Post
    AMEN! I have been saying this for years.. he caught some lucky breaks to obtain all those Sweet 16's. Very easily could be looking a coach that rode Crawford to a Sweet 16 and Blueitt to an Elite 8 and thats it.. flip side you could argue by "average performance" the 2016 and 2018 teams should have at least made the Sweet 16.
    At least one of those teams should have made a Sweet 16, for sure. You could argue that (especially) the 1 seed 'should' have made a Final 4 (or at least an Elite 8). That doesn't always happen, of course.
    Eat Donuts!

Louisville is a f%#king mess. In all respects.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    It is. But it’s still Louisville. They are a top 10 program. Just look at the YUM center to Cintas. Mack has done a good job making it look average though.

I mean he left to coach Louisville. Xavier isn’t even close to being corrupt and slimy in comparison, it was an easy move for a coach like him with a huge ego and little scruples.
    Fixed it for you.
    Last edited by IM4X; 01-18-2022 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    And was a mess when he took the job. Hence why so many questioned the move.