Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Agree 100%. My point was if Travis didn’t get Trevon to come to Xavier none of that success happens to that extent and Chris Mack is never the Louisville coach. After landing that class with Trevon, Jp and Edmond, he never really built on that for continued success. Like when Gonzaga and Villanova had success with three and four stars, they built in that and started getting 5 stars and NBA players and have had sustained success.
    I don't buy this either. Granted, they didn't pan out maybe, but Tyrique, Goodin, Naji and Scruggs were all some of the highest-rated recruits we've had. I think Naji and Scruggs were both top-50 even.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I'm no Judas Mack fan at the moment, and he lacks in a lot of areas imo but you just made all that stuff up about those other two coaches, other than they clearly can coach and recruit. You have no idea about the other stuff, other than your own personal opinion if you like them. Wasn't Mark Few just arrested and suspended this year? How the hell do you know their drive for improvement? How do you know if the people around them like them?
    Made all that stuff up? Really? How do I know their drive for improvement? Where have you been for the last 15-20 years.That is about the most obvious question to answer. I know, simply because they have continually gotten better, recruited better. They prove they get better at knowing what their opponents (especially BE opponents in Wright’s case) are going to throw at them and how to prepare for it.

They also don’t cry about not getting enough talent because of where they coach- they find ways to win with what they have and they go out and find a way to keep pulling in players they know have enough talent and are able to do what they need those players to do. How many times did Mack have Wright’s number? One time and only because X was stacked that year. Wright made sure it never happened again…cause Mack doesn’t know how to take his game to the next level snd he is not nearly as good at X’s and Ox as Wright. Wright was always better prepared than Mack.

Am I making the classy stuff up. Hell no! Have you watched how Wright and Few handle press conferences compared to Mack. Have you seen the respect they give other teams. How they respect the media. How they are not prickly and condescending.

You also can’t possibly believe I am making the loyalty thing up. Those two stuck around and proved they could keep making things better. Mack knew he couldn’t and bolted - then mouthed off how he didn’t get to a final four because he could get enough good players at X. Not true. He had the players - He just wasn’t a good enough coach to do it… and unlike Few and Wright, Mack throws his assistants under the bus when he comes up short. Few and Wright are loyal to their assistants and even help those assistants go on to be head coaches at other schools… then they just reload with new assistants.

That should about cover it for Mack. No integrity. No class. No loyalty. Should I go on. Come on D West… Please!
    Last edited by IM4X; 01-26-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded-05 View Post
    As everyone seems to be pointing out, there are a lot of lessons and cautionary tales to take away from this mess.

To me, the biggest one is to never listen to your wife. Ever.

You’re welcome
    Public Reps! That’s flat out funny!

Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    I don't buy this either. Granted, they didn't pan out maybe, but Tyrique, Goodin, Naji and Scruggs were all some of the highest-rated recruits we've had. I think Naji and Scruggs were both top-50 even.
    Well it is true. The year after Bluiett is was Kaiser Gates who was a 3 star ranked 140th, the next year Goodin 4 star ranked 78th and Jones 4 star ranked 105th, then Naji 58th, Paul 34th and Hardin 138. Then Dontarius 222, Kennedy 241 and Walter 189. That’s not building on a 2 seed and a 1 seed. Meanwhile Gonzaga and Nova were reeling in 5 stars.

Was stated on Louisville podcast at about the 9 minute mark: None of the players were happy. Pretty much Mack hates everyone there and everyone there hates Mack. Wow. If anyone is interested there are some extra bits of info about what was going on behind the scenes at least between the players and Mack.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cardchronicle.com/platform/amp/2022/1/26/22902833/card-chronicle-podcast-farewell-chris-mack
    Last edited by IM4X; 01-26-2022 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Well it is true. The year after Bluiett is was Kaiser Gates who was a 3 star ranked 140th, the next year Goodin 4 star ranked 78th and Jones 4 star ranked 105th, then Naji 58th, Paul 34th and Hardin 138. Then Dontarius 222, Kennedy 241 and Walter 189. That’s not building on a 2 seed and a 1 seed. Meanwhile Gonzaga and Nova were reeling in 5 stars.
    The Gooden/Jones class was decent and the Marshall, Scruggs, Hardin class was pretty good (minus Harden). If your point was that Mack was never really consistent with recruiting though, I can get on board with that.

My perception of the Mack era from a recruiting perspective is that we were top 2/3 for tons of top 50 guys, especially PGs, but they almost never ended up coming here. It seemed like the staff spent a lot of time chasing guys who were not likely to ever come to X, but maybe not enough time finding the right guys between 50 and 150 to fit a scheme and contribute. It's like they took a 'best player available' approach and then tried to build around it, which led to some odd rosters and real holes to fill with transfers.

If you are in the final 2 for 3 Top 25 guards but you don't land any of them, you don't have shit.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Was stated on Louisville podcast at about the 9 minute mark: None of the players were happy. Pretty much Mack hates everyone there and everyone there hates Mack. Wow. If anyone is interested there are some extra bits of info about what was going on behind the scenes at least between the players and Mack.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cardchronicle.com/platform/amp/2022/1/26/22902833/card-chronicle-podcast-farewell-chris-mack
    “Chris Mack was pissed off at Louisville and Louisville was pissed off at Chris Mack”
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Mack got 4.8 million instead of the 12 he would have been owed. $133,000 monthly payments through Jan 2025.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Hire him as an special assistant to the traveling secretary. Steele can use all the help he can get.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

The betting favorites for the Louisville job are a familiar crew:

https://www.si.com/college/louisvill...louisville-job
    Kenny Payne +400
    Scott Davenport +500
    Kevin Willard +500
    Steve Forbes +600
    Wes Miller +700
    Mark Pope +900
    Chris Holtmann +1000
    Ed Cooley +1100
    Nate Oats +1200
    Eric Musselman +1300