• With Miller at Pitt

2 14.29%
  • NKU

3 21.43%
  • Dayton

4 28.57%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Paul, at least for me it was the way he seemed to “check out” before he was “done”. It’s felt like everyone knew the deal and we underperformed terribly in the tournament that year as a one seed. That, and he seemed to know it was coming and didn’t recruit to prepare the roster for the next guy.

I get your argument, I really do. That’s what people do in life. There was a little more hope for Mack since we wanted him to be “our Mark Few”, but he moved on. I just thought he quit while he was still on the job. I can’t speak for anyone else, and I could be WAY off base, but it’s how it felt to me.
    +1
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Seems like history might be repeating itself.
    Amen! I’d think twice before bringing him in to ANY program, but he’s set for life financially unless he’s an idiot.

I had to look up Mack's age - at 52 he is a little older than I thought. Still a pretty young age to retire, but he could always retire from coaching and do something else involving basketball, or start some other kind of business. I don't think he has the personality to be a commentator though.

The problem he has a little bit is that his brand is pretty damaged, especially in Louisville, but also to an extent in Cincinnati. That will likely limit his options. He can't really trade on his name by opening a restaurant or car dealership or something.

If the rumors are true that Xavier was willing to pay him up to (or even close to) $3MM per year, going to Louisville may very well have cost him money overall, depending on where he goes next and how soon. He would have had an incredibly long leash at Xavier, probably for about as long as he wanted to continue to coach. Either way he should be set for life financially, but money often buys less happiness than people think, especially highly competitive people.
    Eat Donuts!

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Paul, at least for me it was the way he seemed to “check out” before he was “done”. It’s felt like everyone knew the deal and we underperformed terribly in the tournament that year as a one seed. That, and he seemed to know it was coming and didn’t recruit to prepare the roster for the next guy.

I get your argument, I really do. That’s what people do in life. There was a little more hope for Mack since we wanted him to be “our Mark Few”, but he moved on. I just thought he quit while he was still on the job. I can’t speak for anyone else, and I could be WAY off base, but it’s how it felt to me.

This seems like a popular opinion. I disagree he quit on the team. And no coach is tossing away a tournament as a one seed. I think they played a bad matchup in FSU, with a horrible call on JP toward the Latter part of the game. He won the big East that year. I just donÂ’t think he gave up on the team. I think the 2seed year was a much bigger choke job, considering they had like a 7-8 point lead with 6 minutes left.

Recruiting? I can definitely buy that and people have every right to think it’s bush league/be mad about how he “recruited”‘on his way out

When a "marriage" breaks up, perceived slights are always magnified.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    When a "marriage" breaks up, perceived slights are always magnified.
    And when your ex-wife's second husband starts banging the nanny, one laughs.

All-Conference
    He was very dramatic about saying U of L would be THE LAST place he ever coaches.

I could absolutely see him retiring from coaching and going to TV. He personality isn't perfect for TV, but he would be great at X and O analysis. He would gain credibility just from that.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I'm probably alone in this, but I just don't quite get the animus towards Mack.
    He did a credible job at X, his players seemed to like him in looking at their trips to his house, etc.
    He left for a bigger named job, more $, and a tie for his wife to a hometown. Seems sort of OK.
    Lots of people in lots of professions do exactly that.
    Apparently some seem to have personal connections that weren't favorable...but that's one side of the story.

Guess I just appreciate what he did at X and that's where I stop caring.
    It probably has to do with him being an alum and he still left. Whenever X does well, I always here rumblings from people about how our coach is going to leave for a "real basketball" school. So when Mack was having success here, I thought maybe since he's an alum he will be different and stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    This seems like a popular opinion. I disagree he quit on the team. And no coach is tossing away a tournament as a one seed. I think they played a bad matchup in FSU, with a horrible call on JP toward the Latter part of the game. He won the big East that year. I just donÂ’t think he gave up on the team. I think the 2seed year was a much bigger choke job, considering they had like a 7-8 point lead with 6 minutes left.

Recruiting? I can definitely buy that and people have every right to think it’s bush league/be mad about how he “recruited”‘on his way out
    Besides the bad calls on JP Tre got rolled up on and hurt. Didn’t play the last 6(?) minutes.
    That’s why Kerem was stuck to have to take the last 3. Lots of bad luck in that game.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    I had to look up Mack's age - at 52 he is a little older than I thought. Still a pretty young age to retire, but he could always retire from coaching and do something else involving basketball, or start some other kind of business. I don't think he has the personality to be a commentator though.

The problem he has a little bit is that his brand is pretty damaged, especially in Louisville, but also to an extent in Cincinnati. That will likely limit his options. He can't really trade on his name by opening a restaurant or car dealership or something.

If the rumors are true that Xavier was willing to pay him up to (or even close to) $3MM per year, going to Louisville may very well have cost him money overall, depending on where he goes next and how soon. He would have had an incredibly long leash at Xavier, probably for about as long as he wanted to continue to coach. Either way he should be set for life financially, but money often buys less happiness than people think, especially highly competitive people.
    A) He has said both privately and publically that he did not want to Coach past age 55. He was 48 when he took the UL job. Was planning on 8 years.
    B) The $3 million / year from X is absolutely accurate. The big donors were solicited and that was a legit offer from Christopher to him
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell