Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I agree we don't have any NBA guys, but I think you can overcome that with consistent depth. I think, overall as a team, we have top 3 talent in the conference. No studs, but 7-8 very good college players. I think that can be just as good as a 1-2 NBA guys.
    At the beginning of the season, I agreed with you. I looked at our, then, eleven-man rotation (including Tandy + Stanley) and thought we had an embarrassment of riches. So much depth. How could we not have a great year? Now, halfway into the season, already wondering about our coach's ability, I also question if our talent really is that good. We are down to nine but Miles (future B.E. Defensive P.O.Y.) hasn't really gotten off the bench. Scruggs and Nate both disappeared when we started in-conference play. Free not only isn't justifying his selection to the pre-season B.E. team but, many of us question his very inclusion in the starting five. Colby, unquestionably our most consistent player, has recently been inconsistent. I don't know. Maybe, we really aren't that good. Maybe, we are all tearing our hair out questioning Steele's leadership but perhaps, he is doing the best he can (or something not quite the best he can muster) with a group of not that talented players.

At this point, I just don't know. We seem close to being in the same place today that we were about this time last season. On the cusp of our annual second half season ending swoon. I cannot figure out why. But something isn't right with this team and I cannot identify it.

I'm kinda feeling like we just need a "pure" PG on the roster. I like Scruggs, but PG is not his best position. He's there out of need. I'd prefer we had a true PG and could let Paul be a 3. he could guard it, and he can shoot and has a good enough handle to be a difficult matchup against a larger guy.

We need a PG that can run an offense that gets shooters open and slashers going downhill.

He havent had that since....awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    My only problem with the "play Miles more with Nunge" crowd is we would clog the lane big time on offense.

You put Miles in there, you better play both Nate and Kunkel or that offense is gonna be rough
    maybe that’s not a bad idea.
    Last edited by IM4X; 01-25-2022 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    maybe that’s NIT a bad idea.
    Freudian slip?
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I can envision Miles as the lone big if we try to run a 4 guard offense.

Scruggs, Johnson, Kunkle, Jones and Miles.

Plenty of shooting. The other team would be forced to matchup with a small lineup that could guard ours. Miles would have no role on offense except for put back guy. Defensively, Miles is just a help Rim protector.

I dont see any other lineup where he fits. His offensive game offers nothing and he would just clog things up if he's out there with another big.
    Having Miles in there as the only big is exactly the thing I believe is causing him to struggle. I mean, he isn’t instantly going to start playing up to Nunge’s level just by putting him in there with him, but it will make it easier for him defending in the paint on defense and it could make it harder for for opponents to defend them both on offense. It is worth a shot. I mean, Steele has tried several other lineups that simple have not worked. I don’t see why he would be so stubon as not to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    Freudian slip?
    Maybe.

We may be heading for the NIT if Steele can’t prepare his players a little better in practice and get them to be more productive to in games.
    Last edited by IM4X; 01-25-2022 at 03:06 PM.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I'm kinda feeling like we just need a "pure" PG on the roster. I like Scruggs, but PG is not his best position. He's there out of need. I'd prefer we had a true PG and could let Paul be a 3. he could guard it, and he can shoot and has a good enough handle to be a difficult matchup against a larger guy.

We need a PG that can run an offense that gets shooters open and slashers going downhill.

He havent had that since....awhile.
    Yeah I totally agree. And Dwon hasnt been able to be that guy due to his complete lack of shooting from the outside. They can play off him a bit.

I hope we can find a mid major star PG who wants to transfer up. It will be a desperate need for next year and I don't want to rely on a freshman or Dwon to all of a sudden become a major offensive threat.

Sumner would be the last guy we had like this I guess. Early Q with Tre and JP had his moments as well.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    FWIW, Sumner only shot .285 from 3 for his Xavier career, and Goodin .295. So yeah, it's been a while since X has had a point guard with an outside shot. They say FT% is a good proxy for potential 3P% and the Dwonhill Assassin is shooting 80% from the line this year (albeit a small sample size). Hopefully he hoists 20,000 3-pointers this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah I totally agree. And Dwon hasnt been able to be that guy due to his complete lack of shooting from the outside. They can play off him a bit.

I hope we can find a mid major star PG who wants to transfer up. It will be a desperate need for next year and I don't want to rely on a freshman or Dwon to all of a sudden become a major offensive threat.

Sumner would be the last guy we had like this I guess. Early Q with Tre and JP had his moments as well.
    I think Odom just needs to play and stop doubting his talent at times. He has a lot to offer.......

But, do you ever notice ALL WE EVER TALK ABOUT is a players ability to score? Dwon can do many, many things well. He's our quickest player and can get into the paint better than any other player we have on the roster. He needs to be a creator more and get our offense moving and the defense collapsing on him more to create better shots for the team. He's also a solid defender, but needs to be more of a ball hawk and create more steals and take more chances. One thing this team needs is to be able to create some instant offense and easy buckets on the other end.

I make two pretty dramatic changes

1. Our defense needs to be more aggressive and take more chances. The lock down and keep the guy in front of you mentality isn't helping us create any offense at all. We desperately need more of this. We have a deep bench. Use the damn thing.

2. We have to get Odom more minutes at PG and move Paul to the 2 and 3 more. Get him off the ball. Get Odom creating more and improving the tempo of the offense.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I think Odom just needs to play and stop doubting his talent at times. He has a lot to offer.......

But, do you ever notice ALL WE EVER TALK ABOUT is a players ability to score? Dwon can do many, many things well. He's our quickest player and can get into the paint better than any other player we have on the roster. He needs to be a creator more and get our offense moving and the defense collapsing on him more to create better shots for the team. He's also a solid defender, but needs to be more of a ball hawk and create more steals and take more chances. One thing this team needs is to be able to create some instant offense and easy buckets on the other end.

I make two pretty dramatic changes

1. Our defense needs to be more aggressive and take more chances. The lock down and keep the guy in front of you mentality isn't helping us create any offense at all. We desperately need more of this. We have a deep bench. Use the damn thing.

2. We have to get Odom more minutes at PG and move Paul to the 2 and 3 more. Get him off the ball. Get Odom creating more and improving the tempo of the offense.
    I think you're on the mark re Odom. His game isn't perfect; whose is? He has shown a warrior mentality which I love. Play him more. He does a lot for this team and I also agree we, on this board, over focus on a player's scoring vs other elements of hi game. BTW, whatever happened to Steele's focus on defense? We were supposed to be a tough team defensively.