Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    One of the other posters mentioned that Zach is dealing with a nonCovid virus. I am wondering if that is why his production has been down lately.
    Keep making excuses.

How does a guy go from averaging 16 and 9 last year look at times like he's never played the game before? He's been back playing for over a month and looks to be over his injury. Total head scratcher. Add to that, Scruggs isn't himself either and Johnson is not playing well.

3 guys who were expected to be leading this years team really aren't playing well. Puts a lot of pressure on everyone else.

Cant be scheme and the lack of getting good open looks for these guys can it?

All-Conference
    I believe it's scheme.

He's decent in the post, but this team rarely relies heavily on it. He's below average on the perimeter and this team relies heavily on it. He's not big enough to be the post presence in a 4 out, 1 in offense (for example, like Ochefu or Dixon at Nova), and he's not a threat shooting the 3. Where does he fit in this type of offense?

Much like last year, we rely on the things we don't do well, and aren't patient enough to execute on the things we do well. He's a fish out of water in this scheme.

Also, the Big East has great coaches. Their defensive schemes always seem to work.
    Last edited by drudy23; 01-23-2022 at 06:05 PM.

Damn, Phan can’t catch a break. When he is negative about the team, he gets blown up. Ask a legit question about a possibility of a player not being himself, he gets blown up. Tough crowd.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Damn, Phan can’t catch a break. When he is negative about the team, he gets blown up. Ask a legit question about a possibility of a player not being himself, he gets blown up. Tough crowd.
    No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I believe it's scheme.

He's decent in the post, but this team rarely relies heavily on it. He's below average on the perimeter and this team relies heavily on it. He's not big enough to be the post presence in a 4 out, 1 in offense (for example, like Ochefu or Dixon at Nova), and he's not a threat shooting the 3. Where does he fit in this type of offense?

Much like last year, we rely on the things we don't do well, and aren't patient enough to execute on the things we do well. He's a fish out of water in this scheme.

Also, the Big East has great coaches. Their defensive schemes always seem to work.
    Are we seeing a repeat of the typical, "As soon as the opposition gets film on Xavier and can scout, Xavier declines"?
    All I know is that today Smart and his team knew exactly what to do against the 2-3 zone and carved it up, so X couldn't stay in it. Also, since Dwon Odom had torn them up and scored 19 on penetration in game one, when Xavier started the second half attacking the basket, Smart immediately adjusted to pack the paint more and challenging X to make outside shots. They couldn't do it. Finally, every team in this league knows they can exploit Freemantle's defense. That has become painfully obvious.

Steele never adjusted back. Time to install a 1-3-1 zone.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 01-23-2022 at 08:03 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    How does a guy go from averaging 16 and 9 last year look at times like he's never played the game before? He's been back playing for over a month and looks to be over his injury. Total head scratcher. Add to that, Scruggs isn't himself either and Johnson is not playing well.

3 guys who were expected to be leading this years team really aren't playing well. Puts a lot of pressure on everyone else.

Cant be scheme and the lack of getting good open looks for these guys can it?
    Credit to Scruggs he's been much better than the other two mentioned here...

For Free, I think part of his production last year was inflated due to literally having nobody else inside. SOMEONE has to score and grab rebounds. Also we aren't as reliant on him this year, so he doesn't get the touches/shots he's probably used to. I am concerned that Steele is having to coach up his attitude and effort, which should be a given for a player with that much experience.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    Credit to Scruggs he's been much better than the other two mentioned here...

Um...

Supporting Member
    Paul’s stats are pretty much the lowest they have been since his freshman year across the board. You would think as a fifth year senior who came back to do this one more time with “unfinished business” that he’d be much better. I like Paul, but he’s been one of the most frustrating players that’s played for x for me. I expected a much higher ceiling coming in as a top 35 recruit
    Last edited by Xville; 01-23-2022 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Paul’s stats are pretty much the lowest they have been since his freshman year across the board. You would think as a fifth year senior who came back to do this one more time with “unfinished business” that he’d be much better. I like Paul, but he’s been one of the most frustrating players that’s played for x for me. I expected a much higher ceiling coming in as a top 35 recruit
    Your best post EVER!
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club