Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Is Colby Jones a Future NBA Player?

You watch this kid play and see he does everything right. Decision making, ball handling, defense, making other guys better.
    I submit that if he keeps working on his outside shot over the next year or two that he can make it. Naji Marshall kept working on his game & shot and surprised people.
    I think Colby has a possibility.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member
    Yes; just two things he needs to work on; a consistent outside shot, and his ball-handling. Effort, athleticism, rebounding are all there and scouts love that.

Of those on this squad he’s the only one I’ve seen has a shot.
    It's time for a bourbon on the rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonman View Post
    Of those on this squad he’s the only one I’ve seen has a shot.
    His rebounding is impressive too. He seems to have a knack for anticipating and being in the right place. He's not really out-jumping anybody but great positioning.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

All-Conference
    I don't think he will play in the NBA. He may be a G league guy because they love those kind of guys in the G league.

Two things lacking - outside shot and explosiveness. NBA athletes that stick are simply freaks of nature.

He's really a positionless player in the NBA. He's not a point guard, he doesn't shoot well enough to be a 2, and he's not big/long/athletic enough to be a wing.

Freshman
    I think he definitely has a great shot. He's intelligent enough, i think he's working on the body. I think he needs to develop an expertise. Right now he cleans up all the junk but needs to really find something to hang hit hat.

If you go back and read draft profiles of Draymond Green, Colby sounds very similar without the prolific stats. Now its tough to project the Draymond's of the NBA, the guy became a defensive beast and basically developed his expertise after being drafted. But i definitely think teams will give him a shot. He just has to make the most of it.

I also think its kind of a case where Colby prob needs to assert himself more (like he did vs Creighton). If Naji had a little more Colby and Colby had a little more Naji, i think they both could be/have been late first round picks.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I don't think he will play in the NBA. He may be a G league guy because they love those kind of guys in the G league.

Two things lacking - outside shot and explosiveness. NBA athletes that stick are simply freaks of nature.

He's really a positionless player in the NBA. He's not a point guard, he doesn't shoot well enough to be a 2, and he's not big/long/athletic enough to be a wing.
    +1

Seems obvious to me he is not an NBA prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    You watch this kid play and see he does everything right. Decision making, ball handling, defense, making other guys better.
    I submit that if he keeps working on his outside shot over the next year or two that he can make it. Naji Marshall kept working on his game & shot and surprised people.
    I think Colby has a possibility.
    Sorry to go "old school" but reminds me of John Havlicek especially in the days where Hondo was 6th man.
    Last edited by joe titan; 01-16-2022 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spell correction
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kxblue View Post
    I think he definitely has a great shot. He's intelligent enough, i think he's working on the body. I think he needs to develop an expertise. Right now he cleans up all the junk but needs to really find something to hang hit hat.

If you go back and read draft profiles of Draymond Green, Colby sounds very similar without the prolific stats. Now its tough to project the Draymond's of the NBA, the guy became a defensive beast and basically developed his expertise after being drafted. But i definitely think teams will give him a shot. He just has to make the most of it.

I also think its kind of a case where Colby prob needs to assert himself more (like he did vs Creighton). If Naji had a little more Colby and Colby had a little more Naji, i think they both could be/have been late first round picks.
    Yep agreed here

He’s athletic enough this isn’t a case of bluiett where the guy just doesn’t have the god given ability…Colby has it, but he has to develop his skills a bit more—shooting, ball handling.

Junior
    I’d say it’s early to tell. He has a chance if he can get a better shot, his athleticism is good enough. At least it isn’t what holds him from the NBA like Tre.

I kinda thought Gates would get a call up. Never thought so when he left but he looked a lot stronger and had good highlight games last year. Thought he could get a 10 day try if he could play the 3
    Last edited by Xavier; 01-16-2022 at 08:40 PM.